1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Noob ATV harescramble racer converting to dirtbikes.

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by airmobile101, Feb 29, 2012.

1. airmobile101 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM/YAMAHA/HONDA
    Hello everyone, my name is Tim. And I'm pretty much new to dirt bikes period! My total hours on a dirt bike my entire life is under a hour! lol Im a 38 year old man thats 5',6",but...... I am a quite capable of racing atv's since I have been doing it for 6 years. But....... with the economy the way it is, I feel its time for change in a large way. And that brought me to travel to a local BMW dealer and purchase a 2011 Husky TXC250i. Now, I know dirtbikes and ATV's are two different breeds in handling and sorts. But I think I gonna need some help just with basic setup from all of you. I will take any advise and go with it! Now......... I don't plan on racing this Husky until I feel I can handle it to a certain degree. To give you a idea, I left all the restrictions on it including the half throttle screw just for the simple fact I don't want to kill myself! But, I have got a FMF S/O enroute with a JD tuner. But I will not install that stuff until I feel comfortable.

So, I have a few questions. Yes....... I searched. But no defining answer. First and foremost. The seat height! What is the proper way to lower this thing? Link? Shave the seat? Shock work? Naturally, I haven't set the sag yet,but once thats done, I seriously doubt thats gonna resolve my issue. And I have zero issues tossing some coin at the suspension. Think about it, I spend about $1500.00 to set up my KTM 450XC quad, so money isn't a issue. And no........ I not rich either.

2nd, What is the reliabilty of this bike in a harescramble race. To be quite honest, I'm scared shittless of EFI when it comes to quads. Its more headaches compared to a FCR39/40mm carb. Should I tear into it and Di-electric grease all the connections?

3rd, if there are any dual racers(atv/dirtbike), please Give advise!
  2. airmobile101 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM/YAMAHA/HONDA
    Mods.......... sorry if I posted in the wrong section!
  3. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    We are fairly laid back here on cafehusky.. since your questions are specific to a 4 stroke bike this would be the place to discuss things.

Welcome! :cheers:
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Welcome.

Lowering correctly should be done by a pro suspension guy IMHO. Links and such are a band aid. I recomend this guy... http://lt-racing.com/

the EFI is good on these bikes. Make sure the filter stays clean, Dielectric greasing is a good idea for sure and the JD EFI tuner makes it run a lot better.

Those are great bikes. Keep the questions coming, great group here to help out.
  5. Slowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

You'll find a couple things. The TXC will be a lot cheaper to operate and maintain than your quad. Dirtbikes have fairly long learning curve, so be patient with yourself & it's a good idea to take a couple off-road riding courses in your first 1-2 years.
    Once you get the hang of what you can do on 2 wheels, you'll be glad you took this step.....

Changing the internals on the suspension is by far the best way to lower a bike. Teach yourself to stand all the time & the height will be less of an issue.

Watch this young fella on his:
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/he-may-be-getting-the-hang-of-this.23497/#post-210541
  6. airmobile101 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM/YAMAHA/HONDA
    Thanks everyone. I'm moreless a newborn to the bike thing in general. I don't plan on any type of racing on the TCX anytime soon. I'm moreless still drooling on this bike. I still can't believe I own it. lol I caught the last day(yesterday) of the 2011 clearance models. I walked out the door with it for $5300.00 ! To me thats a steal considering I was looking at YZ250F's that still ranged in 6K range for a 2011.
    Anyways........ the dealer told me that its slow until the break in period ends, but also said once I put the POWER UP KIT on it, it will scare the crap out of you! lol And the dealer also mention the suspension will beat the crap out of you also until it settles in. So I'm assuming this dealer out of many I dealt with in the past is actually telling me the truth. They also mentioned a plastic elbow to look out for if I remove the tank??? Any idea what they are talking about?

Thanks for being easy on the noob. I'm just a old man thats a adrenalin freak.
  7. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    The bike is tall so you have ground clearance. What's your inseam? weight? Once you're experienced, the height will be less of an issue.

Old man? I've been doing dirt for about a year and I'm 11 years older than you. But I did start riding street bikes 30 years ago. That helps... a little.

Where are you from? Is there a decent dirt bike park/place to ride near you? Something with n00b trails? Do you want to ride motocross or trails?

I never understood the appeal of racing ATVs since there's rarely any room to pass.
  8. airmobile101 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM/YAMAHA/HONDA
    30" inseam, 150lbs with race gear on. I'm out in the St.Louis area. We have St.Joe(Flat River) state park. So its moreless trails and possible harescramble racing in the future, so no MX for me. Strictly trails. As for passing with a atv. You gotta make a line if the person in front of you wont move. lol And that sometimes requires mowing down a tree. lol

I will tend to ask really,and Im mean really stupid questions occasionally. Please just keep in mind Im clueless.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    the dealer you talked to sounds like they know what they are talking about. Is it Halls?
  10. McKay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350S, 2016 TE300
    Hi Air, Im pretty much in the same boat as you, riding and racing three wheelers and quads for a long time. Just got a 449 and feel like I just started to walk again!
    Good bunch of folks here with a ton of knoweldge.
  11. airmobile101 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM/YAMAHA/HONDA
    No sir, it was Gateway BMW out here in St.Louis
  12. airmobile101 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM/YAMAHA/HONDA
    Everyone seems cool. I spent his morning learning how to dismount and stop. lol My plan is to ride this bike everyday regardless if its only 10 min. or a hour or so. I learned it takes more leaning to steer this thing. lol
  13. airmobile101 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM/YAMAHA/HONDA
    Dumb question........ It appears this bike has spring rates very close to the recommended specs for my weight. So if the bike still tends to be harsh after break in, Should I just have the shock revalved?
  14. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    No worries.

It'll run about $600-800 to get the suspension lowered properly (ie: not using hacks like lowering links and raising the forks) by changing the internal spacers. It's easily reversed or adjusted later (at a similar cost, though) - ie: the changes aren't permanent.

Forget everything you learned with Quads. Remember everything you learned when you rode a bicycle.

The plastic elbow is on the bottom of the tank and it's part of the fuel line fitting. It's plastic, so more likely to break. I think you can get a brass fiting to replace it from Zip Ty racing. I wouldn't worry about it right away unless you're going to be pulling your gas tank to work on the bike. Just remember, you have to push in on BOTH white tabs (yes, there's one on each side).

I'd recommend taking the MSF dirt bike class if you can find one locally. Barring that, any novice/n00bie level training class would be good.
  15. airmobile101 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM/YAMAHA/HONDA
    Well......... I can't forget everything since Im still racing them. lol I just got done riding again. I think Im gonna hold off with lower anything at the moment. Im getting used to it. I dont have the balls to go up into a trail yet, so I will stick with gravel roads for now. Actually, there is a class offered by the dealership, and Im already signed up. ;)
  16. airmobile101 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM/YAMAHA/HONDA
    Let me ask this? Am I able to lower it via different tire size? I think between a tire swap and a shaved seat, that will put me more me in control of it. Im only asking now since I had the pleasure of dropping it this morning. lol If I choose to put lower tires on it, what size? It comes with 110/100/18 rear and 80/100/21 front.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    You will not be able to lower it much at all with tires. Also the more you ride the less you will need it lowered. Keep riding, it will come and you will one day wonder why you needed those other 2 wheels. :D
    Slowpoke likes this.
  18. airmobile101 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM/YAMAHA/HONDA
    Ok....... according to Race Tech web site, I need a 5.2kg rear spring for my weight. Rather kick love to a site sponsor than purchase from a non sponsor ;) Yea...... I attempted to set static and race sag and Im not close to the numbers. lol Also...... I see this shorter seat 8000H2442 showing up on threads as I seach, will this work on a TXC250? I rather buy a extra seat and butcher that. lol
  19. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    It will be lower after you get some miles on it (600?). At least my 2006 got lower, not really sure about the newer bikes as they age. Regardless, spend your money after you have been riding a while and know what you really want to do.

There is no such thing as a dumb question as far as I am concerned.
  20. jaysktms Husqvarna
    AA Class

Get the seat that is a start, and going with a 100/100-18 will drop you about an 1/2inch more. It will added up to an overall seat hight.