1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Nickasil Coating?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by arbortodd, Mar 31, 2017.

1. arbortodd Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 xc250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Rupp RMX 125
    Can any one tell me when Husqvarna began coating their cylinders? Just bought an 83 XC 250. Went to the local bike shop for piston and/or rings and his Wiseco?? book references Nickasil coating for all the 83 250s. Did Husky coat the cast iron sleeves? This particular engine has a .020 over Wiseco piston installed by a previous owner. Piston to cylinder clearance is just a tick under .005 inches. I thought this cylinder could be be honed or bored. Will it have to be coated instead? This is my first Husky, so any comments and advice appreciated.
  2. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    The 83 was still an iron liner.
    ajcmbrown likes this.
  3. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    as far as can be determined the pre 89's were all iron lined and bored to fit
    when Cagiva took over they started changing to their engines which were Nikasil
    ajcmbrown likes this.
  4. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S

Did the guy behind the counter have multiple piercings on his face, "Metal Mulisha" tee shirt and a mohawk?
    If so, go to another bike shop if you can. Most of these muppets have absolutely no idea, and couldn't read a spare parts listing if their life depended on it!
    All Husqvarna two stroke cylinders before 1989 to my knowledge were cast iron bores.
    Tony.
  5. husqyhamm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Quite a few 83-86 500 2Ts and 4Ts
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 R80 GS Dakar; Victory 106.
  6. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    check out phil at husqvarnaparts.com, also download a parts manual if you can to assist in parts id, very helpful for chasing bits. which part of the world are you currently residing?
  7. arbortodd Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 xc250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Rupp RMX 125
    Thanks for all the replies. My experience has all been on vintage machines so I am not familiar with the plated cylinders. It is indeed a cast iron sleeve but I was not sure if these were actually plated or only the aluminum cylinders. The cat at the parts store is the owner and very knowledgeable with drag race bikes anyway. Just his book showed Nickasil plated cylinders for the 83 models.I do have a parts manual which has been real helpful so far. After tear down it appears I will need to replace cases. The left side case has a crack in the outer webbed area around the crank bearing. Not sure if it can be welded. No leaks per a pre tear-down leak down test, but a future problem for sure.Anyone out there have a set of cases they would sell? I would settle for a matching left side case. Engine #2089.I am in West Virginia,USA
  8. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    start another post on welding the case as plenty here are familiar with that issue. you will get more traction finding a spare case as well.
  9. arbortodd Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 xc250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Rupp RMX 125
    Thanks, Suprize.
  10. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Wiesco piston rings are chromed. Their pistons are forged aluminum. Forged pistons expand more than cast pistons.

Note,
    There is available now honing stones for nickasil cylinders. I'm not sure how thick the plating is in the dirtbikes.

I have some top quality steel stones that I tried in a cagiva 125 that was plated and the stones didn't touch it. The bore was shiny like chrome. We drilled the extra oil holes in a kawie 125 piston and installed it in the cagiva. That was the cheaper way to go for a new piston.