1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Newbie with a 1972 250, for racing

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by chamber66, May 1, 2017.

1. chamber66 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 1972
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM370, Curtis Honda, Maico 400
    First off hi!
    New on here and to older Huskies. Just picked up a 1972 250 WR, which I intend to use for racing over here in the U.K. I couldn't find a CR, and this one came along at the right price. she needs a bit of work but a good starting point for a racer.
    Anyway I would like to make it a competitive as I can. You don't see many racing as most guys seem to go for Elsinores, CZ's or BSA's. So are there any tips or mods that will make her stand up against these bikes?
    Thanks in advance

[IMG]
  2. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    you will need a petrol tank and a seat to start with...:D ps I only know about later huskys but plenty of knowledge here for your old girl. You should have it firing a treat in no time at all. search the forum for related topics, that way you can get an overview of whats been discussed and all the "how to's" cheers
    fotosaurus and DeathFromAbove like this.
  3. chamber66 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 1972
    Other Motorcycles:
    Had a good search, but the only info that I can seem to find is change to a Mag swing arm?
  4. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Welcome to the forum. Your off to a good start. There's still used parts available for your '72/250wr. Are you sure it's a 250cc? I don't have much experience with these but to me that cylinder Iooks big. Any engine serial number on it? There's a riveted tag with four numbers. It will cross reference to what size, tranny and year it is. Post the number it's over the sprocket cover on the case.
  5. chamber66 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 1972
    Other Motorcycles:
    Certainly. But the cylinder looks smallish in the flesh. Frame MJ02510 AND THE ENGINE NUMBER IS 2019 1540.
  6. Richard Colahan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    71 250 Cross, 74 125WR, 75 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vintage British bikes, 1969 Penton
    What type of vintage racing are you planning?
    I'll tell you that here in the eastern US, 250 WR's are very competitive in vintage XC racing...tight woods, rocks, ruts, roots, mud...
    Torque and heavy flywheel to chug through the nastiest terrain.
    Back in the day it was Bill Kain's choice for US National Enduro champ in 72 and 73.

If you are looking to MX it...well...the tougher the course the more it will favor a 250WR.
    But wide open and fast MX? You will be at a dis-advantage...as were the 72/73 factory Husky riders trying compete with what they called the "big engine".

For fast MX...maybe some porting work and an internal rotor ignition might perk it up enough to be competitive.
    Suspension and a good rider will make the biggest difference!
  7. chamber66 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 1972
    Other Motorcycles:
    Going to use it for MX our tracks here in Wales, U.K tend to be quite tight. I'. going with a lighter internal flywheel so sorted there. What length shocks do you advise and is there much benefit from the longer swing arm?
    Think the rider is beyond any tuning mods these days and was never fantastic as a young man either lol :cry:
  8. Richard Colahan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    71 250 Cross, 74 125WR, 75 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vintage British bikes, 1969 Penton
    My guess is you'll get many different opinions on this...here's mine...

Change in swing arm is a frequent mod. A few options;
    > Back in the day stock arm was lengthened ~ 1" in the area between the pivots and the cross tube.
    > Fit a GP swing arm...which I did to my 125WR...a long time ago!
    > Fit a Mag 250 swing arm.

Make your s/a change BEFORE you select your shocks.
    Most folks will go with longer shocks...not so much for additional travel...but to tuck those raked out forks back in a bit to improve steering.
    Except for the CA guys who did high speed desert racing!

Wales? I've got a great framed b&w photo of Bud Ekins on a muddy Triumph TR6SS riding in the 1961 ISDT at Llandrindod Wells. Is there still off-road riding in that area?
  9. chamber66 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 1972
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the info. Yes still loads of good off road riding here and a very good classic MX scene :)
  10. Alfie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    76 360 WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XR600r
    Hello and welcome aboard , I race a 1976 360wr in Welsh classic mx. Lots going on this time of year. off to Welshpool at the weekend for the second meeting of the season,
    Parts are out there but not cheap ! Good luck with it.
  11. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    Had some good times with enduro's in Wales many years ago, and more recently classic MX. Usually with Robbie Griffiths !!!
  12. chamber66 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 1972
    Other Motorcycles:
    Not doing Border this year., and was away for Teifi. First for me will be at Abbeycwmhir. I hope. Alfie are you in pre 78 class, I shall keep an eye out for you, I ride an RM370 mainly? Grouty we have met on forums before I believe. B50 forum and MXtrax mainly
    John
  13. chamber66 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 1972
    Other Motorcycles:

Alfie, are you Phill?
  14. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Since you are going to ride tight tracks, I would keep the heavier flywheel as it will give you the kind of control you would need for those tracks.
  15. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520

Yes John, MXTRAX many years ago, and yes, the B50 forum. Still ride the CCM. Trouble free just like the Husky's
  16. chamber66 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 1972
    Other Motorcycles:
    Question. As I need a seat is the 1975 seat pretty similar, and fit straight on?
  17. Alfie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    76 360 WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XR600r
    Only on a Thursday :)
  18. squid on a 300 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 WR 250 79 CR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS 300 Trials 2 KTMs 2 Hodakas
    Chamber 66...I'm following your post as I also am getting into Vintage racing and bought a 72 WR 250 for cross country racing.....so far I installed progressive 14 series shocks and an electronic ignition as necessary upgrades....still working on the jetting...I'm keeping the Bing on it for now...trying to get low end throttle response to improve..went from a 45 pilot to a 40 still a little rich...just ordered a 38 pilot and a few different needle jets from Bing today...hoping to have it ready to race at Mid Ohio AMA Vintage Days next month
  19. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    is the carb in good condition:thinking: , if its worn a bit, can be hard to remove low end richness sometimes if the needle is worn or the slide is leaking air:oldman:
  20. squid on a 300 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 WR 250 79 CR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS 300 Trials 2 KTMs 2 Hodakas
    It's 45 years old so worn is a given :( ..the slide definitely is worn...ordered stock size new needle jet as it may be out of round ...could not find the same needle so i also ordered a needle jet slightly leaner to possibly compensate for a worn needle if necessary...wouldn't a worn slide cause a lean condition as it's letting more air though?
    bob