New TE630 owner and 1,145 mile test drive

Discussion in '610/630' started by SilverBullet, Sep 26, 2011.

1. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    This Saturday I picked up a 2011 TE630 at Heinen's Motorsports in Minneapolis. Took my first test drive by a 1,145 mile trip back home to Houston. Temps dropped to the low 40's in Missouri after dark so I had to stop and wait for sunrise. Total trip was 34 hours including 10 hour stop in Missouri. Unfortunately no time to stop and smell the roses on this trip. Rode highways all the way, no issues whatsoever with the bike, handled the speed great and performed flawlessly. Averaged 45 mpg due to cruising at 70-75mph or higher, one tank I held it to 60-65mph and got 50mpg. Bike already has Power Up kit installed.

I have to say all the staff at Heinen's were superb, made the remote buying process an easy and pleasant transaction. They knew I was riding bike home so it was fully prepped and gone over upon my arrival. I am happy to have got one of these bikes before they are all gone and I plan on keeping it for a very long time.
  2. Swampds Husqvarna
    AA Class

That is quite a roadtrip on the new bike! I bet the ass hurst a little after 20 hours in the saddle.
  3. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    1: I bet your butt is sore.
    2: Husky strongly recommends against long periods of constant RPM's during the break-in period...

So are you planning on a new seat now? :p
  4. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  6. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Sure did me right on my trip through Colorado. :)
  7. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bike was dealer used/demo. Broken in already with 600 miles and first oil change done, so no worries about constant RPM's.

Believe it or not no sore butt whatsoever and no complaints from me about the seat either. Now keep in mind that the ride was in mild temperatures so no sweating underneath which adds greatly to discomfort and "Monkey Butt". And I also take precautions by wearing heavily padded bicycle shorts and by varying my position on the bike frequently before I get sore in that position. I use probably 6 or more different positions by combining the entire seat length along with both rider and passenger pegs. And most important by occasionally standing on the pegs and I also do a few reps of leg squats before sitting back down again.

For me there is not a seat made that will let you sit comfortably in the same position for more than an hour or so without feeling discomfort. Heck even a plush padded Lazy Boy recliner or First Class International airline seat will have me in discomfort within a couple hours if I don't do something. The key is moving around when you can, always keep muscles varied and blood moving as much as you can.

_
  8. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Yep, there's truth to that. I usually stand on my pegs and stretch out when I poke through the small towns where the speed limit drops. So far, it has only gotten me pulled over once. :)

I'm pretty sure I didn't get a ticket because I wasn't doing anything illegal. Small town cops, bored late on a Friday night, I suppose.
  9. WhiteAndRed Husqvarna
    A Class

Now here's a man who knows what he wants! Bravo and Congrats!
  10. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I apologize in advance if it was your bike I tortured during a test ride at Heinens before purchasing a couple new ones. :eek: Joking...
  11. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    So you are the one who put that big scratch on my swingarm, haha! Why did they ever paint that thing black anyway. Looks nice but for an off-road bike won't stay looking nice for long.
  12. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Mine had a scratch on the swingarm from the kickstand, right off the showroom floor. I ground part of the kickstand foot off so it clears a little bit better, but there is still enough slop in it that you can scrape the swingarm.
  13. ContraHusky Husqvarna
    A Class

Gives it character more quickly. ;)
    jtemple likes this.
  14. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    On my street bikes, I was very much a neat freak. Weekly washes, frequent waxings, never spent more than a day or two with so much as a dead bug splattered on it. I avoided riding in the rain whenever possible.

My TE630 (my first off road bike) has scuffs all over the plastic, dirt ground into the scuffs that won't wash out, and regularly goes several weeks covered in dirt without a washing. I ride rain or shine, without a care in the world. I do keep on top of the maintenance with frequent oil changes, keeping the valves in spec, the chain clean & lubed, etc.

I figure, eh, it's a dirt bike. It's quite the liberating change from being so meticulous.
  15. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I bet you don't have a dent (battle scar) in your Leo Vince can yet like I do .... that was hard to stomach when it happened on icy rock and I fell in the boulders coming down Imogene pass.
  16. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Nope. No dents or scratches thus far, knock on wood. As manufacturing dies down on this exhaust, I wonder how much support we can expect for replacement parts. It would be nice to be able to replace a dented sleeve, or some cracked carbon fiber.