1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

New project.

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by gixxerw1, Oct 13, 2009.

1. gixxerw1 Husqvarna
    A Class

1988 Cagiva WMX 250. I have known this bike for 15 years. I have worked on it twice for the previous owners. One of the owners was a past plant manager i had. It was his harescramble bike from the early 90's. He asked me to get it running back in 2000 for him after it sat in his garage for 8 years, so after 5 days and $700 worth of parts it was running real good most of that was a rebuild on the shock. He was at the southwick nationals 2 years ago doing the amayuer race on monday and had a massive coronary on the starting line. A freind bought it off of his wife. He rode it maybe 3-4 times in the last 9 years. I just picked it up off of him. Needs some things. Silencer, wheel bearings in the rear, swing arm bearings, chain sprockets, brakes, cables possibly if i can't loosen them up. I plan on riding the thing so it wont look as good as the pic motosportz put up but mechanically it will be sound. Possibly do a couple sportsmans class harescrambles on it next year. Yes it does run fired it up today.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. bultokid Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '84 250/500 '87 250/430 '18TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bultaco, Fantic
    Is it the 5 or 6 speed ?
  3. gixxerw1 Husqvarna
    A Class

6 If i remember correctly. Been a few years since i have ridden it.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Desticker it, clean it up a little and it looks like it will show real good. Pretty modern looking bike for an 88.
  5. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    my friend has a 83 wxe?

My buddy has a 1983 dual shock, 250 wxe?, Cagiva's are cool old bikes,
    just don't know what the parts availablity here is?

I was offer one for free a few years back & when i checked on top end
    parts (which it needed) i couldn't find any listings ,so i passed on it.

John
  6. gixxerw1 Husqvarna
    A Class

Halls has most everything i need. Plus i have a line on a complete parts bike i might pick up next week. If i was afraid of parts availability i never would own Husky's. You guys know how it is lol.
    I have clean fenders for it now dug thru my husky stuff found a couple older acerbis fenders that fit it. Like you said though have to do something about the handlebar position way too low. Foot pegs are another thing i have to look at, they are small to almost non existant.
  7. colemanapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here's my 88 Husqcagiva 125. Hall's has had everything I've needed for this.
    [IMG]
  8. gixxerw1 Husqvarna
    A Class

Thats the other thing do i call it a Cagivarna or Huscagiva? It does have "H" stamped in a few places but the stickers and engine say Cagiva.
    It is an 88 after a quick VIN check. I think i also have new wheel/swingarm bearings in the box of Husky stuff i have. Its funny after years of owning only Husky how much you accumulate!
  9. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    yes my 1991 350 4 stroke too

Yeah, my 91 350 4 stroke has "H" 's all over the place, but says
    Cagiva on the ignition cover on the inside.
  10. gixxerw1 Husqvarna
    A Class

Rode it around yesterday in the yard, after finding i had some wheel bearings and reattaching the silencer. I fouled 2 plugs getting it running because of how much oil the guy put in the cylinder to store it. The carb how ever was nasty but after a 20 minute soak in berrymans it is all set now. It has the dellorto with the idle adjustment on the top of the carb. The bike even idles!
    Lets just say this thing has animal like power every where. For an older bike it really rips! Now to do up the suspension bearings (swingarm/linkage), put some bar risers and different bars on, get the funky stars and stripes paint off, get rid of some stickers, and i am all set. Any one have an older domino throttle around with the clear plastic cable cover they wouldn't mind parting with?
  11. fury1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

sounds good jim! reading this I was just thinking of pulling nellies old XR200r out of my shed for some work
  12. gixxerw1 Husqvarna
    A Class

You might see it next year in a couple of harescrambles.
  13. netra790 Husqvarna
    B Class

Jim, You can have the domino throttle that came off the 610 with the dellorto if it will work for you.
  14. gixxerw1 Husqvarna
    A Class

Whats happening Tim. I think it is different. You still have the 610 right? I really have to come up and check that thing out.
  15. netra790 Husqvarna
    B Class

I didn't know if it would be the same. I figured because it was a 1 cable throttle it would be the same. I have to go out and put the 610 back together. I tore it down yesterday to service all the bearings, and install the ebay shock and exhaust. Got a shock that was revalved by slavens and a single sided exhaust for $40. Lets ride one of these days, the offer still stands that you can spend the day on the 610.
  16. gixxerw1 Husqvarna
    A Class

Maiden voyage on the Cagiva today. Rode at CATRA in NY with a buddy who is a member.
    All i can say is wish i had that motor in a mordern frame! It is a tractor, i rode 2nd gear all day never used first at all 3rd maybe once or twice for the down hills. Even started off in 2nd! It trucks down low then grab some throttle and it halls the front tire skyward!
    Now the bad: forks are small and feel like they are bending over everything instead of compressing, brakes: Ummmmm i need some! rear drum has nothing but lock up or off, front slows you down a LITTLE!
    After i got the steering stem bearings to stay tight the bike actually handled decent and some what tracked a line.
    I have some work to do to make it rideable. All in all a very fun capable bike in the woods.
  17. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Jim,
    Sounds like a great motor, only once removed cousin of my '00 WR250. Brakes.... maybe a serious rebuild of the caliper and master cylinder might help. I thought I remembered that it was a decent front one. Rear brake is fairly hopeless, like any Swedish Husky rear. Is that the same WP front as a '87 Husky 250CR? I never thought of them as flexy. Keep tweaking!:cheers:
  18. gixxerw1 Husqvarna
    A Class

I think the rotor is glazed over, the guy before me thought the rust on it was bad and i think he oiled it up before storing it, i will take it off and turn it and see how it is. The front end is the 35-36mm WP upside down forks the ones where if you over tighten the axle pinch bolts the aluminum cracks! These aren't cracked though so not too bad. The motor on this beast is the same as a 1991 Husky WR 250. I dont need any more motor! Just have to get everything else sorted out.