New helmet technology

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by ray_ray, Mar 27, 2014.

1. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    This is a little interesting and has some short videos to drive home their sales pitch ...

After reading this article and being enlightened on angular and linear head banging, it seems most of my crashes are linear without a second bounce of the melon ... Probably a single bounce only because speed is so low :)

For all you high speed street riders, a second head bounce might be a much more likely case. Desert racers included here also ...

http://www.6dhelmets.com/
  2. Muchmore Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW K1600GTL
    That's cool. I had an accident that the front of a train broke my helmet on the first impact and then there was several other hard impacts while tumbling to a stop. It's hard to believe that simple Styrofoam could protect in that situation this looks much more advanced.
  3. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Guess this is not so new ... I got sucked in by colorful advertising ..

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/head-injury.30123/#post-273103

Gotta watch that tumbling ... Sliding might get a little hot on the bottom side but probably not as likely to get any damage ...
  4. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    They introduced the kids line not to long ago. They have plans for street helmets too. I'm going to buy one before the seasons over. It was about the easiest motorcycle related purchase I ever talked my wife into :).
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Not new and a lot of the top pros use them.
  6. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

I keep thinking that I need to buy stock in this company. With all of the noise surrounding head injuries in the NFL it's only a matter of time before this technology is adopted. Imagine the sorts of lawsuits that would come about if this tech was available and not adopted.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  7. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Not to mention this tech could be used for military. It really is limitless. How I'd love to have those patents lol
  8. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    the purvines beta team is a 6d team, nb657 is wearing one along with the rest of that offroad team
    LandofMotards likes this.
  9. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'm not sure how much if any of this would translate over to the nfl ... Nfl is full of head-on hits ... That foam liner is really only good for 1 hard hit because it does not retain its shape. Once it is compressed, shock absorbing properties are greatly diminished.

--
    The NFL made $16BIL a couple yrs back (and they are a tax free organization) ... They could invent totally new helmets if they were as concerned about injuries as much as the media trys to play up this angle ... I liked the way the players called the nfl big-wigs out when they were trying to make them play more games per yr and at the same the big-wigs were were talking all their smack about safety ... Sorry, just another dog&pony show ...
  10. bigmo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Anyone that wants to talk left/right about politics can get a real dose of how very screwed up our government is when we have the NFL, MLB, NHL...the list goes on...as a 501c6 tax exempt entity.

So your little small town chamber of commerce designed to get a new coffee shop and dentist to open doors in town are the shield that the NFL blocks nearly ALL taxation...

BACK on topic. Now knowing the above - see any chance of common sense solutions being put in place over helmets or head injuries?

So does 6D have any patents on this technology?
  11. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
  12. bigmo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449

It's the wrong approach IMO - the only long-term solution is a radical shift in equipping. Either ban the helmet outright, or alter it so significantly that it becomes a protective piece once again as opposed to offensive - because that is what it is now.

I would love to see a couple of the well-established unbiased helmet researchers look into new materials and simply a new way to survive impact. One of the most challenging aspects for motorcyclists is that we face everything from ground bounce, to steel poles, to both moving and fixed plane impacts - the list goes on. Our helmets have to be jack of all trades at best.
  13. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'm just not sure if there is an end-all solution to hits to the head at this time, ESP bike riders as you stated ...Even if some of the initial trauma can be removed via a helmet, getting way from Newtons' laws of motion will not happen any time soon.

--
    Getting away from all the glitter, the 6d people are separating head-on hits (linear) and angular hits ... Doesn't seem like alot BUT, after more thought on the subject, I've seen hits on football players that were not head-on and did not look so bad yet the player was knocked out. Maybe they have something here on angular hits to the head and prevention for them that just the EPS liners alone do not address so well. In any event, I'm the keeper of my melon. I take that job seriously each ride.
    rschneider, juicypips and Dirtdame like this.
  14. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Kali protectives use a cone shape eps foam to direct the impact away from the soft squishy melony goodness.
    I would buy one but imports a killer i opted for last years Airoh cr900, half price still acu gold rated.
    Any direct hits an its replace lid, i skimp on most things as people im sure will vouch but my brain i cant replace, best bet is to retire any lid in doubt an get best you can justify to yourself!
    Safest route period unless you count not riding but frankly i would rather die.
    ray_ray likes this.
  15. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'm planning on floating a small boat around, between these islands when I reach the point that I can't ride ...

--
    Never heard of these helmets and their web site has more reading on the subject at hand ..
    http://www.kaliprotectives.com/moto/fusion-tech

[IMG]

It is mentioned that these guys do have some patents ...
  16. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    For those who don't have the time to read on the Kali:

The Composite Fusion angle: These guys are combining the foam liner into the outer shell instead of gluing the 2 together as most helmet makers. No micro air gaps exists between the 2 protecting materials (outer shell and foam) that can disrupt the energy absorbing qualities of any helmet ... They also mention that if the foam liner is loose from the shell... Consider tossing the helmet. (I checked all my helmets for looseness and even my 10 yr old AGV had no slack.)

The Composite Fusion Plus angle: Those pyramid shaped foam cones are the Plus part ... Sounds good but we all know that the foam does not have memory and that aspect is not addressed on the website that I could find ... I.E. ...A crash of whatever magnitude crushes a few of those cones down... Seems the helmet efficiency is dropped greatly. (Rubber must do bad things in these cases as it has memory and would appear to work for these cones .. )
    juicypips likes this.
  17. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Thanks rayray i post from my phone so linking websites it a drawn out process.
    Like the boat idea, umm with helmets your after something that can take multiple hits and not degrade in its saftey coverage? Thats how its coming across. So we thinking armored steel and varying grades of rubber with air pockets in like mousses? Sounds heavy but possible.
  18. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    I have a Kali Protectives helmet (Prana Carbon) with the "composite plus" construction.

I can't tell you how well it protects me because I haven't had a head strike crash in it yet.

I can tell you that it fits me better (perfectly, actually) than any other helmet I've ever owned (dirt or street) and is the first helmet I've ever had that I can honestly say that I *love.* I'll be looking hard at a Kali street helmet when it comes time to replace my Shoei, next year hopefully.
    bigmo and juicypips like this.