NEED HELP. valve setting on 2004 sm450r

Discussion in 'Super Moto' started by Jaysm450r2004, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Jaysm450r2004 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Sm450r
    I have tryed setting my valves to the fool proof guide an no look.

After a few days over goin over an over pics an pages an pages. I have noticed ther is more then 1 marking on the cams (intake and exhaust) home made marks an factory marks on both sides of the gear.
    I have had a look on eBay an other places on net at other cams an the marking are on the other side to my factory ones :/ don't no we're to start now.
    The owner before me or even them has had it apart before me
  2. Mik-3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husvarna SM510R 2010
    But if you need to check valve cap, you dont need to set engine just top center in all cams, i mean take out that spark plug then put some stick, then turn engine when you can see/feel i it top center, then look those cams, if they are pointing upright, like they should when you are checking valve cap, i hope you know what i mean...
    I mean if the bike is working nice, then dont bother your mind if those marks is different
  3. Jaysm450r2004 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Sm450r
    Yea I no wot u mean.
    The bike was runny cr*so that's wen I got it started after kicking it for ages.
    I no the cams are out but struggling to set the valves in the right place.
    What Ur trying to say when the valves are set in the right position the lobes are pointing up to the fuel tank at top dead centre at that gives us round about right setting.
    Is there any marks on the magneto to set it to aswell for the ignight position otherwise it will b sparking on yhe wrong top dead position
    I will up load some pic of all the marking soon
  4. Mik-3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husvarna SM510R 2010
  5. FReQRiDeR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    510 SMR ITALIAN
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 888 SPO
    check and see that the center dot on the water pump gear is in fact centered with the mark on the head at TDC. If it is off, everything else will be off. That said, I have heard of Huskys leaving the factory with timing marks that were off! The valves should be closed and the cam lobes should be facing each other at aprox 45 degrees when they are installed correctly.

Attached Files: