1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Need Help Making '88 XC250 Street Legal

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Cabosh, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Cabosh Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 XC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1997 Honda CR250, 2005 Honda CR 85
    I just got my first Husky bike, a 1988 XC 250. She's in pretty mint shape for the most part and came with a bunch of the original paperwork which is pretty cool. I'm planning to try and make it a street legal dual sport and from what I can tell the European versions of this bike came pretty much street legal from the factory with a speedo and brake light already set up. So I'm wondering, how hard would it be to just get some of the euro plastics and rig up a speedo and brake light on the US version that I have? Or is there an easier way I could go about getting her on the road? Also since this is my first husky, are there any big problems with these bikes that I should look at? Any help would be appreciated IMG-0762.JPG IMG-0764.JPG
  2. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    75,82,83,2x84,85,3x86,87,88 and 89
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    Brake light switches, 1 on the master and a pull type switch with a spring on the peddle. Mirror and a horn.
    DOT tires and the right sticker on the frame helps. I had to wire up signal lights with a battery to get my inspection done, then i removed them. Should have a steering lock for anti theft if it was meant to be, but mine doesn't.

Its was a pain for me but after that its been a blast.
    88 250

022sept9.jpg
    oldbikedude and 2premo like this.
  3. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC

some states are a little more lenient Arizona topping the list
    some are impossible
    Eric The Leg likes this.
  4. MotoFo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974/5 250CR, 1981 430CR, 1986 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TY175, Yamaha TY250, CRF150F
    86 400 XC,

Would you take a photo of your rear brake pull switch mounting and post it? I'm in the process of installing one and would like to see how you installed yours (though mine is a '86).

Thanks,

5. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    I have see the correct set up and this is close to it and works well.
    The switch is held on the back bone of the frame with a zip tie.
    The peddle mount is more my own design, stock is just a tab with a hole.

20170923_194852.jpg 20170923_194909.jpg

Sorry the pics are a 1/4 turn off
    MotoFo likes this.
  6. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    as far as the bike goes, the biggest issue for those models is the rear linkage and the pivot bolt through the swingarm, wearing and elongating the holes in the frame and the cases. make sure its well greased and check the tension on that bolt. i would "go through" the bike starting at checking the front wheel bearings and check the tube and replace the rubber spoke protector with 2 - 3 turns of duct tape to cover the spoke nipples. then i would pull the forks and headstem out. check the headstem bearings, the lower one will be rusty more like. replace and grease with BEL RAY waterproof grease. drain and dissassemble the forks for a good clean. check the seals and damping bits and pieces. if its all good, put them back together. oil the cables and grease the handlebar pivots of the levers and throttle body. pull the tank off, pull the airbox out. get a new airfilter, strip and clean the carb carefully put it all backtogether. use bel ray airfilter oil is my recommendation. clean the tank out carefully. strip the rear linkage and and swingarm and inspect for wear. grease heavily and reassemble. grease the rear brake pivot in the backing plate, rear wheel bearings and check the roller bearings in the tensioners. last but not least, repack the muffler with fresh packing.

change the coolant and the gearbox oil and away you go

do all this and it will last for 5+ years with minimal maintenance (airfilter and gearbox oil change)
    slosh and justintendo like this.
  7. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    great advice, right down to the bel ray grease and filter oil.
  8. Cabosh Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 XC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for all the info! I just got a complete parts catalog and engine manual for the bike too so I'll definitely tear into it and look everything over. Also I looked into it more and here in Vermont the laws aren't too bad. As far as I can tell I'll just need to rig up some brake light switches, get a mirror, DOT tires, and maybe a horn. Shouldn't be too hard to get her on the road, I'll keep this thread updated while I'm working on it.
    ajcmbrown and 2premo like this.
  9. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    Great advice surprize, the only things I respectfully add through personal experience are:
    Check or replace your water pump seal and shaft(and o'ring) before you end up with coolant in your transmission
    Replace both small needle rollers on kickstarter and idler gear
    Use a folding lever tip from a later model bike, eg DRZ400 alloy tip is a bolt on.
    Check ignition timing with a dial guage, too much advance causing kickback can destroy crankcases and clutch covers, too little and it will not perform well.
    Check your rubber inlet manifold for cracking, causing air leaks and lean seizes
    Check that the little rubber kickstart stop is in place, preventing clutch cover damage
    Make sure the plastic steering stops are in good condition
    Test or replace the radiator cap to prevent coolant loss, causing overheating
    I hope this helps.
    Tony.
    slosh likes this.
  10. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    im thinking i will do a word doc so i can just cut and paste this info in everytime someone get s a bike to do up:thumbsup:
    justintendo and Cabosh like this.
  11. Cabosh Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 XC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well I pulled the front end apart and the wheel and steering stem bearings need some grease but otherwise they're mint. I also disassembled the forks and just about everything looks good, the seals and scrapers were just a little rough so I got those ordered. Next I'm probably gonna get some fresh oil and coolant and check out my water pump seals. In my engine manual it says to use 1.4 liters of SAE 20 for the WR and CR 250's but it doesn't show anything for the XC. I'm assuming all three bikes have basically the same engine though so would 1.4 liters be correct for the XC as well? Also I always run 10w40 in my honda bikes so would that work for the husky or should I go with the SAE 20 like it says in the manual? Or do you guys have any other oil recommendations? I know right now it's full of ATF from the previous owner.
  12. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    atf - f is a recognised oil for the husky along with a 20 wt (briggs and stratton oil) Huskys are pretty much a swap shop btw the engines. the bottom ends are common with only the gear ratios different. CR = Close ratio - MX, WR = wide ratio - enduro while XC = cross country a mix of the cr and wr gears (american desert market)...obviously the cr has a different top end and electrical system for the track vs the enduro powerplant.

with the forks, check the plastic damping washers for any marks or indents. they are notorious for failing just after you put them back together:banghead: . the forks top out with a clunk when they fail. best to get on to Phil and flick a new set in.

when reassembling them, dont do up the bolt in the bottom of the forks until you have the tube fully bottomed in the slider, springs out. this centres the damping cone. then tighten them up. also refitting the wheel back in the bike, once the axle is tightened up, check the fork for parallel. measure just under the fork wiper. and just above the wheel making sure the forks are parrallel. its easy to pinch the forks in or have them spreading out which makes the forks harsh.

go to it:thumbsup:
  13. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC

what or where did you fit a battery and size?
  14. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    The bike shop requested signals and said take them right after, so it was temporary.
    I took out a battery from a 09 310 H that was in my yard. Put it on its side in a look a like tool bag :lol:(black purse with straps) ,on the fender rack i made.

87 signals.jpg
    oldbikedude likes this.
  15. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
  16. jonhicks Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1987 250 WRLC
    Other Motorcycles:
    IT175J 1982 YAMAHA
    Hi Are you able to provide some closer photos of your fender rack &* how you made it. Looks great! Thanks, Jon
  17. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys

Sure. Its just mild steel, welded on the bottom for neatness.
    3/16 brake line tubing for the round stuff. lol all about what i had laying the garage at the time.
    I still have it on the bike. Last pic was 3 days ago.

IMG_5961.jpg

IMG_5962.jpg

20190425_183409.jpg