Neckbraces who's wearing them..??

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Troy F Collins, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    I was looking around the other day and noticed that neckbraces have recently come down in price....hovering around $200 bucks or so....so I ordered one

I am not the fastest rider around(understatement)...but heck even a slow poke can bugger themselves up pretty good.....

I thought it was a good idea to have one...just wondered about the issues of weight and reduced peripheral vision.....

anyone have any opinions......
  2. HuskyT Moderator

I have been wearing a Leatt now for about two years.... I have mine adjusted perfectly and feel that it does not restrict my Peripheral vision at all.... it does limit your ability to look back wards over your shoulder.... which you really shouldn't do anyway...... if you need to look back, you will find that you will now do it when going around the next turn on the track or trail......

I have taken several good hits / crashes now and have came up smiling every time..... I would not ride without it and never do.

Spend the time to adjust yours to a perfect fit and if you need help, have a buddy work it out with you.... go ride and adjust... try different positions until you find the fit that fits your riding style....

In my opinion it is the first thing you should buy.... and if someone tells you that they cause more broken collar bones, ask them how many necks have not been broken because of them.... if adjusted properly to your body, the collar bone thing goes away..... and use the tether straps .... they are there for a reason.... more stability and load distribution on impact......

Just my opinion....

Weight????? you can hardly even tell the thing is there. Take a good dump before you ride if your worried about the weight of one of these......

T
  3. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    Hey T I hear ya....nothing but bran muffins for me....good advise

1) where do the tether straps mount to eg from where to where.??

2)did you have any issues with using it with a chest protector...if not what kind do you wear....I have a thor quadrant
  4. HuskyT Moderator

I fyou are wearing a Leatt, the tethers are the straps that come from the back brace portion.... beleive it or not, they velcro in and are sandwiched into the brace. They come areound to the front where there is a plastic double sided clip that they snap /press fit into.

The back brace/strut portion is fully adjustable to your body shape... I'm big chested 52" chest and have a 19" neck ( easy boys) 6ft 240.... and my body style is that of a power or weight lifter...I like to lift...... I tried about three different positions before going back to the very first one, which just happened to be the recommended one in the set up manual.... If your thin, or average build, like most everybody but me is, you may want to play with it... It seems to me the most injuries that i have seen are on thin guys....???? just what I have seen.

The back brace ramp that smacks up and limits your helmet/neck moving to the rear is also adjustable..... each helmet fits your head differently so you need to adjust it to the range of motion that you like, with your helmet...... this is where it is nice if a buddy is there to help you....

the Leatt also can be fitted with XL pins in the middle if you need more neck room.... I mention this as I have a 19" neck...... I thought I would for sure need the XL pin set and Leatt in Valencia Ca sent me a set overnight UPS for free just by asking:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Turns out I haven't even used them.... the standard pin set feels just fine....

Adjust all of this at your house , when you have plenty of time to dick with it..... put your gear on, including chest protector and even if you feel like you look like a moron , ride up and down your street or driveway, the neighbors cow pasture or whatever you have at your house and adjust it several times until you find what you like.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ADJUST THIS ON THE DAY OF YOUR RIDE WITH YOUR BUDDIES.... IT WILL SCREW WITH YOUR RIDE TIME.....!

Chest protectors..... each one is unique.... I use a 661 under Armor and in the hot summer months here in California I also wear a 661 Core Cooler around my neck and shoulders... ( Cool cores are better than sliced bread) with all three on , everything still fits and wears just fine....

I'll be honest, it takes you a little longer than the guy that just grabs his helmet and rides off with a t-shirt..... but the safety is worth it... I have also used an external Thor "Force" chest protector,(which I absolutely hate) and it worked just fine....... some guys cut their chest protectors and mount them direct with/to the Leatt..... I think Blake does that.

Put your Leatt on first, tighten and set the tethers in place, put on your chest protector, then your Hydration pack and then your helmet

Hydration packs..... I wear my Leatt with both an OGIO hyd Pack on the track as well as carry about a 30Lb Camelback Hawg...when desert riding..... both fit fine over the Leatt and do not restrict range of motion......

Just my opinions again

T
  5. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've been wearing a Leatt for almost 2 years now and can't even tell it's there. It's very comfortable and has definitely prevented some injuries. I've only ridden a couple times without it and that was because I accidentally left it in my messy garage.
  6. Pete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE300
    i got a leatt and 3 month lay off wth a broken scapula - snapped right on the end of where the brace sits...maybe t saved my neck, maybe it was a soft broken shoulder - i will never know, but i will take the same risk again to preserve my ability to walk.
  7. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    My son and I both wear Leatt braces. Thankfully, neither of us have had falls nasty enough to test the braces, but I feel better knowing it's there. I recently got one of the HRP chest protectors (specifically designed for use with the Leatt) for my son. http://hrpsports.com/MOTOCROSSOFFROAD/tabid/350/CategoryID/5/List/1/Level/a/ProductID/109/Default.aspx?SortField=UnitCost%20DESC,ProductName It's a great piece of engineering that has cut his dress/prep time down considerably. As most Leatt owners know, it can be challenging to fit conventional chest protectors with a Leatt.
  8. rappster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tc449 TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    rmz250
    i have been wearing the leatt over the 661, troy lee and evs chest protectors, have not had a problem. my son is now wearing his while mountain biking, they are not just for MX.
  9. rawperformance Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 TTR125, 2008 TTR110, 2008 PW50
    I just got the Alpinestar neck brace and think it is all right. It is a little clunky in the pits but once riding it disappeared. I bought the Alpinestar because they are the only company not providing multiple lines of neck protection. If neck protection is important why do we have the choice to compromise the protection based on price. Look at how you crash and decide. I drive the bike all the way into the ground and my chin is the first thing to hit. Its dirt, sky, dirt, sky. You get the pic I need a neck brace.
  10. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

The only difference between the different Leatt models is comfort and ease of cleaning. All the models protect the same.
  11. Brinker343 Husqvarna
    A Class

Dirt Sky Dirt Sky ! Now that's funny!:lol: I also drive the bike in to the ground so I feel your pain. Why can't we just let go and let the bike take the beating?:banghead:
  12. Bobby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TXC310Rx2,
    Other Motorcycles:
    G450X, HP2E, 10 R12ADV, GasGas280
    I've been wearing one coming on a year now and it took 1-2 rides to figure it out but now I wont ride with out it. I went over the handlebars twice in one day coming to an abrupt stop in the 35-45mph range on fireservice type roads and landed on my head both times. Next day I didn't even have a kink in my neck, but a helmet that had two sets of nasty gashes in it. I won't ride without it now.

I don't use the tethers and I am a very barrel chested type. What I do is take my Camel back shoulder straps and get it hooked on the side lobes/neck trap pads and cinch it down so the shoulder straps pull rest on the Leatt instead of directly on my shoulders. I have done Rallymoto events to all day enduros and it holds up great.
  13. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I guess I just don't understand. I don't ride over my head and don't see the need to own one. I also do not ride with a chest protector b/c I thnk it limits my movement. Accidents will happen and I hope a serious injury never happens to any of us. But I just don't see the need for a overpriced neck brace. Hats off to whoever invented this they have made their millions.

You might as well ride with one of those foam things around your neck that the ambulance will give you if you are worried about crashing. Just don't get it.
  14. HuskyT Moderator

Probably don't need to use your seat belt in your car either for that matter.... just drive at the speed limit...... all fine until some drunk mffr hits you head on and plants your face through the dash or that cold winter day when you have hit a patch of black ice and roll into the ditch at 50 or 60mph.... ( I've done this three times now)

Point being, accidents do happen .... you can go down and hurt yourself bad even when you think you are in control...

Overpriced, maybe. Cheaper versions are now out there.....

Sitting in a hospital bed as a Quadraplegic..... priceless.... I'll use the brace and come home able to play with my kids .

Just my opinion.
  15. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, you are right it is your opinion and they are called accidents for a reason. You never know when they are going to occur.

I don't wear a seatbelt because it is my right. I am in control of myself and can't help what happens to me when someone else choses to use poor judgement.

It's just another side of your story.

I actually fell over in a race one time and broke 3 ribs, literally fell over at a dead stop. I have wrecked harder on a bicycle, but that doesn't mean I wear a full body cast when I ride...
  16. HuskyT Moderator

Certainly wearing a neckbrace or any safety gear is your own right, just like helmets, boots, etc....

The vast majority of people tend to use safety gear to limit their odds of being hurt, not because it interferes with their rights... and most people would agree that a full body cast would be overkill ....

I went down on the freeway in California on a superbike when I hit a dead coyote carcass that was wadded up on the whiteline during a rainstorm..... accident pure and simple just like you say....Helmet laws were not in effect then in California either.... however I had one on for two reasons, one I knew it would protect me and 2) The US Marine Corps dictated that I have one on at all times....

I slid over 300 ft on wet concrete on my full face.... it saved my life... I'll wear the safety gear regardless of what rights it may or likely may not impinge upon......
  17. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, there are many survivor stories and I am glad that protection saved your face.

But my post is especially in regard to the neck brace boom. Hell even flat screen TV's have come down in price. It doesn't mean I'm going to go out and buy one...
  18. HuskyT Moderator

Amen Brother! :cheers:

I'm looking for a new 55" flat screen now that prices have fallen considerably....

And I agree with you 100% about pricing.... Leatt had a captive market for a long time until some of the other guys figured out a way to get around patent protection... they even held the stores selling them captive with "no Markdown or Discounts" on Leatts.

One thing I think is sad though is that you will see young kids going out and buying new exhaust systems rather than safety gear.... e.g. a slip on for $500 and a helmet for $49.99 ... just doesn't make sense to me.....
  19. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I disagree, Let them go and buy exhaust systems all they want. I think kids should be more concerned with the sound of there exhaust. PERIOD! Stop shutting down our riding areas because you want to be LOUD. Be smart and ride safe... Buy a 49.99 helmet and then there is no need for neck brace crap!
  20. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    Have gone through similar compromises in my profession where the safety gear actually impedes my ability to do the mission. Better flight helmet in a crash scenario that also reduces my peripheral vision (which is a MAJOR thumbs down at treetop level). Aftermarket seat cushions (that aren't approved officially) that don't chew your ass to shreds after 10 hours in 130F. We dumped our survival vests due to the bulk, weight and induced lower back pain incurred with their use and went to a belt with the bare necessities once the higher ups were convinced there is not much chance of us being in an extraction scenario. We either die in the crash from the shear physical trauma or are able to to hook up to sister ship and ride out. If the newest safety gear being promoted by the "big named people" doesn't distract or impede your mission it will probably be accepted by the community eventually. Opinion only.