Narrowest dual sport tire that can be safely installed on a SM610 4.25" rear wheel?

Discussion in '610/630' started by withiam, Sep 7, 2013.

1. withiam Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hypermotard 1100 EVO; KLX250SF
    It appears that my dual sport tire choices are limited when choosing something that fits the 4.25" wide stock rear wheel on my 2009 SM610. Let me mention that I run a Dunlop Trailmax TR91 front in a 110/80-19. This bike is setup for running dirt roads.

A while back I installed a 150/70/-17 Dunlop Trailmax TR91. This tire is designed for the bigger adventure bikes. Being a 70 series tire adds more weight to the overall package plus the added diameter of the tire offsets the bike geometry. Tire weighs in at 17 pounds. Tire this size also requires more power to turn.

My thought is to run a smaller rear tire to take the load off the engine and therefor increase performance. An Avon Distanzia 150/60-17 weighs 12 pounds. It is the only dual sport tire in that size. So a narrower tire would be the next so my choices are greater.

Now I'm thinking to put on a 140 so the engine can spool up faster, less load. But it gets better.
    The 140 only comes in a 80 series making it larger in diameter than my present 150/70-17 and ideally it wants to reside on a 3.50" rim.

So it appears my choices are limited short of lacing on a new rim to accommodate a smaller/narrower tire.
  2. r6jon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    16 701 Enduro on 17's :)
    Other Motorcycles:
    a FE450 soon
    Been there done that. You will end up with a 130 dirt/dual sport tire on the 4.25 which isn't horrible or a wide 150 big block dual sport for bigger bikes. There is no pot of gold at the end of this rainbow.
    withiam likes this.
  3. withiam Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thank you! You have confirmed my suspicions. I'll be going back to a Distanzia or could be changing bikes in the near future. It's getting to be that time again.
    Seriously considering a KTM 500 EXC. Lighter weight with abundant power and comes with that skinny rear tire. That would be an expensive route to get a skinny tire but fun.
  4. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Wouldn't a less expensive way to get a skinny rear wheel simply be to buy the narrower wheel from a TE? Or just lace on a narrower rim. Or buy a complete TE and sell the SM.
    withiam and 1lunger like this.
  5. withiam Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well of course that would be the most logical approach but the thought of a new 500 EXC entices me. Curb weight is 76 pounds less than the SM. The SM610 is great machine but there are too many bikes and not enough time to experience them all. If a good deal comes along on rear wheel assy I'll jump on it.
  6. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

An 18" TE rim really is too tall.....the SM swingarm is shorter and the forks don't accomdate anything bigger than a 19" which barley fits without ripping off the front fender.

I run a 19" front too. I run TKC80s...which are good street and dirt tires.

I bought a used SM610 with a crack in the rim. I replaced the rim with a 3.50"x17 and the last tire I ran on it was a 150/70 TKC80 . I am waiting for a 140/80 to arrive to try out.

Anyway, the 140 and 150 tires are much more expensive than the run of the mill 130/80.

Do you guys think I can run a 130/80 on a 3.5" rear rim? I think the 130 is really made for a 2.50" rear rim.
    withiam likes this.
  7. withiam Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    ^
    Hello R_Little, I remember pinging you on info related to the 19" front prior to me getting one. Your reply was and is much appreciated. The TKC80 has never been a consideration but the reviews are favorable for this type of tire. Never thought a blocky tire such as the TKC80 would be okay on the road but people are saying otherwise. Hmmm more food for thought.

I am providing a link on tire fitment guidelines from Dunlop and it happens to be for the tires I am running. I wish all tire manufacturers would follow this guideline.
    130/80-17 recommended rim width for this tire is 3.00". The 140/80-17 wuld be a 3.5" wide rim just as you are running.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire-catalog/off-road-adventure/dual-sport-adventure/tr91/
  8. darnold87 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 SM610 Adventure
    Here's a comparison.
    Tire on my SM610 is a Shinko 244 (5.10 x 17)
    Tire to the left is a 150/70 x 17 Kenda Big Block. I'm installing it tonight...

[IMG]
  9. withiam Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Here is a pic of my Dunlop 150/70-17.

IMG_0004 - Version 2.jpg
  10. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The TKC80 are excellent street tires...they are surprisingly good dirt tires too on anything short of clay mud.

They wear good with NO road noise.

If I can squeeze a 130/80 on a 3.5" rim then I guess I can use the Kenda trackmaster i have sitting in my basement.

That will make a lot of noise but if I run it on the dirt I'll be golden.

BTW, if you are close by I have a front 19" Anakee that has little if any use on it you can have.
  11. darnold87 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 SM610 Adventure
    As an update, the 150/70x17 Kenda Big Block fits great, has a tough sidewall and tread, but still feels sticky on the pavement. And the price is about $120 on MotorcycleSuperstore.com...

[IMG]
  12. cjoecruz003 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 SMR510