My SM 610 ie.... with some more !

Discussion in '610/630' started by italy_guy, Feb 12, 2015.

1. italy_guy Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 IE TURBO
    Other Motorcycles:
    HONDA RC51
    hard to say .... i owned many different bikes in many years of riding , but the supermotard riding is the one i like more. In theory a supertorque in a 130 kgs byke is the most enjoyble harwdware you can ride on , so thats the idea ... !
    Grandia and Spice Weasel like this.
  2. italy_guy Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 IE TURBO
    Other Motorcycles:
    HONDA RC51
    Nothing at the moment (the byke runs +/- 5000 km at the moment) , i realy HOPE TO HAVE big sliding problems on the clutch , it means the engine is producing a big ammount of torque increase ..... if needed (i hope so) i will try with harder springs or , eventually if needed, an complete uprated system with carbon/kevlar friction plates .....
    we will see ..!!! :banana:
    Spice Weasel likes this.
  3. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Youre doing an excellent job :thumbsup: and i totally agree
    I hope this project is a total success.
  4. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    This is a turbo bike I put together for a friend back in '06. A very mild, pump gas, stealth system that bumped the bike from ~170 to 220 rwhp.

[IMG]

had to add a return line bung on the tank

[IMG]

boost indexing fuel pres regulator and lots of heat blanket

[IMG]

[IMG]

hard piped the air filter to the top side to keep hidden and away from rain

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Finished product

[IMG]

[IMG]

A word of advise (I think you already know this) ... Don't get impatient or shortcut the perfecting of fuel management - My buddy took the bike out for a ride while I was at work (before we'd done any vetting of the provided map on the dyno) and holed a piston - $2700 mistake as I recall...

Boy, hadn't looked at these pics in years.

Theo likes this.
  5. italy_guy Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 IE TURBO
    Other Motorcycles:
    HONDA RC51
    ....... uuuhhhhh !!! a turbo Busa , very interesting , and very fast i think !!!

Two tecnical questions :
    1 - Is the core-assy of the turbo upper than the oil level of the engine , or how did u solve the oil scavenge problem ?
    2 - What about the torque increase ?

And in the end , how did u adjust the injection and timing ?

However , fantastic job dude
  6. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    DAMN JUST DAMN :popcorn:
  7. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:

On busa, turbo bearing was above oil level so ok. We came off oil press sens port for oil feed to turbo w/ return bung welded in pan. On my 900rr the turbo is below oil level in pan so I have a shutoff on return line so oil doesn't seep. Don't forget to turn on or you'll smoke up the parking lot... :)

Busa just used a custom map in Power Commander. Once correct it was fine.

RE: Clutch. Find some stiffer springs but test with a valve spring scale to verify that they're ~25% stronger at installed height. Don't take someone's word. First three sets I got from Barnett were less than stock. If you go too stiff you'll be breaking those 610 arms.

8. italy_guy Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 IE TURBO
    Other Motorcycles:
    HONDA RC51
    This afternoon i had my first ride with the bike , just to have a first mapping session , and it was a total ...... disaster !!!

Well , all the things works fine , the pipes are ok , but in the end with 0.5 bar of boost i have absolutely no power increase. I tryed to increase the boost level but it doesn't rise upper than 0.4/0.5 ....!!!

I need to understand what's wrong and what is happening.

My next step will be to install a pressure gauge in the exhaust manifold before the turbine ..... my worry is about i chosed a too small turbine and it is making too much pressure in the manifold ..... It's the only explanable reason for a such beaviour !

If we think about 0.5 bar of boost it should be enought to have a remarkable tourque increase , but i have nothing ..... so the only possibility is that i'm having a high pressure level also in the exhaust that clear the advantage of the boost in the intake manifold.

We will see .....

OT : Does anybody know the guy of the turbo 510 in the youtube videos ? I'd like to have some contacts with him.
  9. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    What octane fuel are you running?

.5 bar on top of a stock compression piston you should feel. Are you way rich maybe?

What application was the turbo sourced from?

10. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    I agree: http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/sudden-slack-in-clutch-lever.19101/#post-171600 I'd rather go for the carbon/kevlar plates, if they're claimed to provide more grip.

:( please, don't surrender!
    Anyway, could it be the wastegate? Have you tried to adjust it?
    If you write its spring stiffness and how much preload you have on it, maybe dynobob will be able to help you.
    Or maybe you've tested it with an air compressor...?
  11. italy_guy Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 IE TURBO
    Other Motorcycles:
    HONDA RC51
    Don't worry guys , i'm not going to stop my experiment..... it's just a problem i have to solve , one of the thousand i faced in this stuff.

The fuel is a standard 95 octane pump gas.
    It is true , 0.5 should be a good feeling .... but not at the moment.

I'm running at a safe 12:1 A/R ratio .... but no extrapower comes from the engine

I don't know what application the turbo match , that's are the specs :

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/turbocharger#GT1544
  12. italy_guy Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 IE TURBO
    Other Motorcycles:
    HONDA RC51
  13. italy_guy Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 IE TURBO
    Other Motorcycles:
    HONDA RC51
    Damn ! i triple checked the engine/turbocharger coupling with the Garrett official turbo advicer , the result talks itself , the right device for my application is definitively the GT1544 ...... the one i used !

I'm thinking about the downpipe too , i'll first try to remove it and try to run without.

:excuseme:
  14. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    By Garrett's specs the GT2056 is way too big for a 450cc Honda engine - It should not work but obviously does... makes you wonder if something is funny with Garrett's specs.

Maybe your stock muffler is creating too much backpressure. Although I still say you should feel 7psi of boost on a stock compression motor. ??

Can you access a dyno to see what you're actually making?

15. italy_guy Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 IE TURBO
    Other Motorcycles:
    HONDA RC51
    Well , i've made my first tests , just a few because of the wheather.
    I removed all the downpipe and muffler (which is just outside a stock on , it was completely redone inside and now is a straight through one) , disconnected the wastegate pneumatic controll (leaving the wastegate spring and ron on) and pluged the pressure outlet for the wastegate actuator in the snail.

The result is more or less the same , i was able to have 0.7 bar of boost , but with no significant power increase ... it is confirmed by the fact that to obtain a stechiometer A/R values i need no injection time increase , rather in the naturally aspirated part of the map i had to decrease the time up to 15 %.
    Another strange behaviour is about the lag , it doesn't exist ! As i give a little throttle in 2nd gear for ex. , the pressure rise up immediatly ; this could be a good thing if i have power on the result , but in this case make me think about the small size of this GT1544 for this application !

So my next step is to measure the exhaust manifold pressure , i've just modified the manifold to put a 4mm pressure outlet and i'm gong to measure it in the nex days , probably Saturday.

I'll let know.
  16. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Do you have any airbox volume at all or is it straight into the throttle body? Might not be enough volume there to sustain pressure when the intake valves open. Just a guess.
  17. italy_guy Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 IE TURBO
    Other Motorcycles:
    HONDA RC51
    The outlet pipe of the compressor goes straight to the throttle body , but i think it is not a problem , i placed the boost gauge pipe in the inlet manifold (after the butterfly) and the boost reading is smooth and stable .... so i don't think it could be a plenum question.
  18. italy_guy Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 IE TURBO
    Other Motorcycles:
    HONDA RC51
    .... so , a step ahead in my tests .... !!!
    i was able to measure the backpressure in the exhaust manifolds , and i found it near to zero Also at 0.7 of boost i have no significant backpressure , not more than 0.1 , so considering the low lag level and all the rest it seems the GT1544 is perfect for the job ......

i'm thinking about the ignition timing ..... and i'm building something like a programmable ECU for that with an Arduino board ..... i should end in a few days !
    My idea is that boosting the engine , i need to delay a little (7/8 °) the ignition phase ..... which is now probably at the maximum values due to the naturally aspirated way of feeding.

we will see !!!:thumbsup: