My IMS Tank is Alive!

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by cobb92, Apr 6, 2011.

1. cobb92 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I installed my IMS tank a few weeks ago and was happy with the end result. Although (most of you know) the tank was not a great fit, but I was able to get her on. I cut the lower radiator shrouds to fit the tank and noticed my blinkers hit the tank when turned left or right. After a week of riding my bike to work, I noticed the blinkers did not rub anymore. A few day after that, I noticed a .25 inch gap between the lower shrouds and the tank, an area were they were touching before. Now the shroud portion of my tank is flaring out away from my bike! I think my tank wants to bail off my bike. I am hoping with all this movement, it will not cause a tear in my tank. I believe this has been the issue with the IMS tanks after reading all the stories in the forums. I believe the heat is warping the tanks where the plastic is thinner and causing it to tear in the areas where the plastic is denser. Anyway, just thought I would share.
    [IMG]
  2. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    That's a really good point regarding heat[IMG]. My fairly recently (dec) purchased IMS for the 250 decided to start leaking around the fuel pump flange out of nowhere with no previous issues. The pump on the x-lites is mounted on the bottom of the left wing instead of the stock location. Just so happens that the new location is directly over the head pipe. I had run the bike in the garage several days in a row prior to the leak occurring. I bet that helped induce the warp at the pump flange on the tank that caused the leak.

I also had noticed a change in the fit over time. The shrouds were getting wider apart (my version uses the stock shrouds bolted onto the IMS tank) and the seat got more difficult to install correctly. Probably something to do with temperature. The tank is surprisingly lighter than the smaller stock tank which has to translate into a thinner build or different material or both?
  3. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    My IMS tank fit beautifully on my `09 WR125 when Eric first installed it. We were shocked! The next time he tried to put the tank on it was if it was a whole different tank for some other brand of bike. He even made sure it wasn't his 250 tank by mistake. We barely got the seat on (that was the day it fell off on the trail.) One day was warm and sunny, and one day was freezing...[IMG] It has since proved a crapshoot every time it goes back on. No leaks, though...yet.
  4. pcross71 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've just returned from a week in baja and had a near disaster experience miles from nowhere in the desert. After stopping to wait for a slower rider, bike turned off, my IMS tank (08 TE 450) started leaking at the bottom flange of the pump. Quickly pulled the tank to snug the bolts and could not get the tank to go back on as it was suddenly interfering with the frame mount for my motorsportz steering damper. Apparently the tank had expanded in the heat - when installing the damper originally I had to heat gun the tank and mush it about 1/4" and this seemed to have swelled back out. Eventually we were able to force it back on but it was a bit of a panic. I believe the pump leakage was caused by a build up of vapor pressure from one of those one way check valve - chucked that. Wonder if a gasket material between the pump and tank would help. On the damper, suggest that people leave a little room for expansion.
  5. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I had a one way check/vent on my IMS tank. Rode it to work and parked it. Check it at noon only to see the tank looking like a balloon.[IMG]
    Went out and released the PSI. Got rid of the check/vent and went back to just the vent tube. Live and learn.
  6. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    I really think it is from ethanol fuel. The last couple times I had the tank off the txc I drained it and let it sit for a couple hours with he cap off and it went right back on. Every time before that it was a wrestling match to get it on. Accept the first time when it had been sitting in kellys garage empty for six months...

Later,
  7. cobb92 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Update: I removed the one-way check valve on the vent tube and I believe it has killed the monster my tank was turning into. It has actually moved back close to the original shape, but not all the way. There was a bit of pressure when I removed the one-way valve. Well, thanks for the tip.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Ingenious, variable capacity tank for what ever your need. IMS is amazing.
  9. cobb92 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Update. I have been enjoying riding my bike as a commuter the last week and a half and have had no more problems with the IMS gas tank, until today. As I arrived home and entered my garage, I smelled a strong odor of gasoline. Deep down inside I knew it was coming from my fuel tank but I tried desperately to blame other things in my garage. Upon a 'smell' inspection, I followed the sent directly to my tank. After a visual check I identified the leak was indeed coming from the fuel pump gasket. DRIP, DRIP, DRIP! I am very upset at the moment, I just hope that, 'Just Gas Tanks' or 'IMS' will help me out the way they have helped others here on Cafe Husky. I am sad.[IMG]
  10. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    They will. Just Gas Tanks is an excellent business to deal with. Just went through this same scenario with them. Call them and they'll get the ball rolling on your replacement!
  11. cobb92 Husqvarna
    AA Class

ioneater, you are correct! I called JustGasTanks and they got the ball rolling! I am a little bit happier today[IMG]; I am just worried that my next tank will have the same issue. One thing is for sure, I will not install the one way check valve on the fuel cap. Let her breath. I really do believe that the valve created pressure in the tank that caused it to move and grow, plus add engine heat to the scenario and the tank is compromised. Well, I will cruz her around in stock form until I hear from IMS. Now I need to buy new radiator shrouds to replace the ones I cut for the big tank.
  12. cobb92 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I received my new replacement tank from IMS within a few days after Just Gas Tanks made good on their warranty. Very good customer service from both companies! Anyway, I installed my new tank properly a week ago and have not rode the bike at all. I walked into the garage and smelled a gas odor from the area where my bikes are resting. NOT AGAIN! I found my new (2nd) tank leaking from the same area where the fuel pump is located. I have not had an opportunity to ride my bike with this new tank on and it is leaking. I know that I am not doing anything wrong during installation, but why is this happening? Is it coincidence? Should I try a black tank? I live in So. Cal., is anyone out here have the same problem? I am sad again.[IMG]
  13. moto66 Husqvarna
    A Class

I just got my SM510R 09 dynoed last Friday. The shop could not refit the tank. Thought they'd done something wrong. Turns out with the heat in the dyno booth/engine heat, the OE tank expanded beyond fitting. Released the cap, all is well. I had the one way vent fitted. Normally fine for UK weather/temps but will def be an issue if higher temps. I think a longer than OE tube up and over bars with a good height above the cap is the way to go wherever heat is an issue.
  14. moto66 Husqvarna
    A Class

Feel for you! Did you tighten the fixings nice and evenly? Clean any burrs. Check the rubber gasket. I applied a small amount of grease to the gasket to stop it binding/help with the seal. I'd take it off the bike with no mounting pressure, remove pump, check above and remount pump, then leave off of bike and see if leaks again, with an open breather tube. Man, I so want a larger tank but really can't find a good review on any [IMG]
  15. jcarlson9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

just removed my ims tank after installing a motosportz dampner,tried to push the tank in after the heat gun trick,but it wouldnt go,so i thought i could remove some plastic with a file !!!,i did but guess what ?,i removed too much material,now the tank has a hole ! duh ! 300 bucks waisted,at least i used it for two years
  16. moto66 Husqvarna
    A Class

Really?! Man, like an expensive horror story this thread. Has anyone heard of a one off alloy tank for the Huskys? I'm still sold on the idea.
  17. WHITEROCKET5.9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

a bigger tank WAS on my list of upgrades [IMG]
  18. DirtMongrel Husqvarna
    AA Class

my question is.... is this all related to inferior quality build from IMS, or is it related to the FI and pressure? I don't hear about '07 carbed bikes having these issues, those tanks are 3.7gal and sit much closer to the engine and its heat, and everyone I know has those stubby check valves. When I fill the tank on my '08 Te510 with 3.0IMS and hit the trails for the first 10 miles its spitting fuel out of the vent hose. So I bought a stubby check valve and am now hesitant to install it.

I also own an '06 DRZ400s and have the clarke 3.9gal tank, its cap has a built in check valve and I installed the stubby on top of that, never had an issue works perfect. I always thought those check valves allowed air in and vapor to escape, but if the bike fell over the gas would put the valve closed. So is it quality or pressure????? And I still think 3.0gal is too small, but I just don't like the looks of the Safari tank...... does the Safari have the same issue?
  19. moto66 Husqvarna
    A Class

That is a good point but I think if it was EFI -pump sucking - related then we'd be hearing of shrinking or collapsing tanks.

I fitted a one way stubby check valve (air in to fill vacuum of reducing fuel load, no air/fuel back out) as my tank started spilling fuel all over the forks, dripping onto the headers via the 'open' tube that came with the bike. That seemed to be a siphoning effect as it did after a ride, hot engine, and filling the tank to the brim-ish. I've not had any problems since with the stubby, apart from at the dyno shop where in the booth, the heat built up despite the fan, and the stock tank expanded badly. Returned to size after opening filler cap. I''ve never had that as a street problem but then in the UK it never gets very hot [IMG]

I think the best for the tanks would be a long hose, open tube, with a slosh baffle of some sort, but coming up a lot higher above the tank and doing a U back into the headstock. I don't think the OE tube length is long enough. Take it from me, however it did happen, there was a load of fuel in a puddle under the front of the bike after that fill. Maybe in a fall, with a weight of fuel behind it, the cap itself might seal, I don't honestly know. I got knocked off the other day.... and the bike was on it's side but no fuel came out, only thing there is the tank was 90% empty.

I still think though, regardless, IMS or others should give warning not to use one way valves if they feel it might compromise their product. If I knew I could buy one (IMS) with confidence then I'd have one tomorrow.
  20. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    when ya park yer bike, take the vent hose off the cap. never use a 1-way thingy, use a long hose and poke some holes in the fender so the spooge dont hose yer bearings and you can use it for fuel transfer. for dirt only after parking drain carb and tank and leave tank cap askew/off.

my buddy in chandler Az didnt do this....till we heard a boom in his garage and his KTM tank popped. party over, grab some towels and no smoking. gasoline has a wicked expansion rate in liquid form and even more vapor-wise.