My Baja Mexico ride to Cabo San Lucas

Discussion in 'TR650' started by CRSAM, Nov 4, 2014.

1. M1A2TechPI Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    1998 KLR 650, 03 SV 1000N
    Congratulations and Thanks on a Great write up with great images of your Southern Ride. Getting my '13 Demo Terra (371 K's on the clock) on Nov 21st and look forward to exploring more places in the Philippines than I did on my '98 KLR. Keep the rubber side down. Chris
  2. CRSAM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    53 Harley 165ST, CRF230
    Thanks Charlie, it was my pleasure. I hope it was worth everyone's time.
    Louisbiker likes this.
  3. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    It's certainly worth my time! Thank you for sharing your adventure.
    Louisbiker likes this.
  4. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    Yep' this is a trip! ......and those bags give me a woody! Thanks for this report and colorful photos, sure reminds me how much i miss my bike and how perfect an all round tool it is...... did i mention those bags, yeoowie!
  5. twowheeler Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW K1300R
    Thanks for posting the report & pics. Some of that county looks like the backdrop to The Cisco Kid.
  6. Olivier Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    W650
    Thank you for posting this photo-diary of your Baja trip. I have lived in San Diego since 1988. On several occasions while flying to Cabo back in the late 80s and early 90's, I remember looking out the plane window thinking: "My God, so many miles of untouched and beautiful scenery. I want to ride to Cabo one day." I now have my TR650 about 50% "Baja-ready." Your report was the catalyst for transforming a fantasy to reality. After seeing your pictures, my wife no longer seems worried about the prospects of this trip. I plan to strap an inflatable stand-up paddleboard (SUP) on a Pelican top-case so that I may enjoy the water as well as the land. I look forward to this trip and to posting pictures in the not-too-distant future. Happy New Year.
    hudler likes this.
  7. CRSAM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    53 Harley 165ST, CRF230
    Hi Olivier, Thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed my report. You will enjoy visiting Baja on your TR650, it is a good bike to do it on. My suggestion would to be to cross the border at Mexicali or east of there and travel south thru San Felipe so you can hit the dirt roads south of Gonzaga Bay, but do it soon as they are paving over the best sections. Progress is probably good for the locals but bad for us who like to do it the dirt. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures when you make the trip. Here's a few more pictures I took northbound near Coco's. It was a couple weeks before the Baha 1000 and I was able to pre-ride about 25 miles of the course. I got to pretend I was "Malcolm Smith" ripping down the straight sections and sliding thru the corners. I first met him 40 years ago during my enduro riding years. He was my hero back in the day. And finally one last Baja sunrise.

20141022_095707.jpg 20141022_095745.jpg 20141022_100649.jpg 20141023_065043.jpg
    Dinosan likes this.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Thanks. I need to do this some day semi soon.
  9. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    Back in '94 unless you had a tall 4wd, San Felipe was the only way north for awhile. All the west side arroyos were flooded and bridges gone. Was really happy I was in an F250 4x4 with camper at the time. Some folks on the northern half of the peninsula were stranded for almost 2 weeks getting air drops until the arroyos receded and roads graded a bit.
    nev.. likes this.
  10. morton750 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph T595 Daytona
    Thank you for an excellent ride report and beautiful photos. Baja has long been on my must-see list, I think you just moved it up a few notches with your story of it.
  11. tork Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Thanks for the report and great pics. I will be in Los Cabos the end of this month and already have a day trip set up with a local Adventure guide. If you know of any guides I should contact there please let me know.

Thanks,

Tork