1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

My '84 500AE MX Project

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Rossik, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE
    when I started the assembly job, I did think that maybe I shoulda gone with all white plastics but as I'd already bought the black ones and due to the limited budget, I decided to make the black stuff work somehow

And I guess as it stands now, I've grown to like the blackness, I mean I now don't think it's too much but I don't think need to add any more, which is why I probably won't buy the smaller black ones from the '81-'83.....

The idea of a white front number plate to match up with the side covers is a good one, which would probably make the sidecovers fit in better, but then I'd need to order a new front plate decal...... You know, the more I look at that picture, the more I think that it's just the amount of whiteness that I'm struggling with

The look of all the raw metal of the pipe, the silencer, engine, coupled with the geometry of the frame and airbox triangulation, I think, looks really sexy (y'know, in a bike kinda way :) ) And then to cover it up with so much white plastic seems wrong........
    I do agree though, that perhaps with more background/general decal work, they wouldn't appear as big as they actually are.....

And like our man from Bendigo once said, those big white side number plates cover up the beautiful view that is the air between the back wheel and the guard, so I think I need to do some trimming - I feel a Dremel session coming on.............
  2. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    I love the black and silver... the bike is bad as hell looking. more pics...
    Rossik likes this.
  3. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE

you don't have the part number by chance do ya?
  4. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE

Thx mate.....it's been a journey which isn't quite over yet but yeah, I'm liking the way it's turning out too

I'll get some more pics posted next weekend for ya mate
  5. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    D.I.D. narrow x-ring 520vt-120 gold chain
    Rossik likes this.
  6. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    chop those side covers and let that view out!
    Rossik likes this.
  7. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE

:) Get that view out of the closet and rejoice in all that air !!! :) :) :)
  8. adam6402 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    You could go with this and white front fender
    image.jpg
    Rossik and darren7878 like this.
  9. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

10. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
  11. Jens Ries Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TC 500 83/84
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi le mans 2 1979
    yeah ...
    it s Kris' bike from Austria ... frameworks around the carb .. and note the missing side rods
  12. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    handle bars are far too high now.
    tank sticker might look ok on the front of the tank
    seat would look good on ebay
    lose the fork gaitors

but if its what you like then well done .:)
    def fit a decomp . silly not to
    Rossik likes this.
  13. adam6402 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Handles bars only too high if you are short! I have risers on mine like that and it makes all the difference in the world for me being 6'6"
    Rossik likes this.
  14. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE
    yeah standard the bars were far too low for me, when I stand on the bike, the distance between the bars and pegs now is just right for me now........I'm guessing it's been similar for Adam6402 that I have had bar risers on most of my bikes in the last 15 years, on longer rides it minimises back stiffness from crouching too much

I thought about putting the sticker on the front edges of the tank but for me, when standing side on to the bike it's not visible enough for me. I started with the logo where it is with the word Husqvarna in the same decal underneath but then I saw a pic of the side branded seatcover and thought that's the way I'd go and so removed the writing on the tank

And as I mentioned before, one of the most visible differences between the production bikes and factory works bikes of the late '70's/early '80's was the branding on the side of the seat. I always thought it looked so trick (probably made it go so much faster too ;) ).

And with the amount of positive response I've had about it, I actually have considered getting a batch made for resale on eBay

Yeah re: the fork gators........I think I agree with ya there - they seemed like a good idea at the time I ordered them but seeing them on the bike I'm not so sure now

Onto the subject of running without gators or boots on the forks, I'm paranoid about them being stone chipped or scratched etc., though I do like the bare legs best of all...............
  15. darren7878 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    79 CR390 and 84 CR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    81 Maico, 79 Kawasaki, 88 Honda
    I really like the bike but think an 'old school' front plate would make a lot of difference looks wise. Like the 84 style in white...

Cool bike that's going to be fun 500 auto :)
    Rossik likes this.
  16. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    interesting about the bar height . i have stock height bars on my 500 and i hadnt considered changing them and im over 6 ft . we only do short mx races tho
  17. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE

Thanks man, yeah I did consider the original plastics in the beginning, but it was a cost thing which drove me to at least buy newer generic guards, and the base of the front number plate is shaped to match the front guard that I bought so that's kind of how I ended up with that one

And after looking at those Acerbis fork gators so much these last few months I've decided to go nude (the forks, not me) and I like that look so much better..... 19June2015.jpg
  18. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    BAD A$$ !
    Rossik likes this.
  19. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Very tastefully done. Extra clean look. :thumbsup:
    Rossik likes this.
  20. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I'm not fan of colored or black rims but the bike looks nice.
    The H on the tank is too small and seems lost.
    I don't like the FMF silencer, I prefer when the clamp(?) is welded on the body.

How works the motor ?
    Rossik likes this.