1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

My '84 500AE MX Project

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Rossik, Dec 2, 2013.

1. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    that's a good run
  2. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    I'm impressed, I get about 12 to 15 hours on my 420
  3. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE

Hey good question, as far as I know this bike (apart from the mismatched seat/tank combination) was a standard '85 500AE......
  4. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE
    finally got my shocks back today, rebuilt, repainted and ready to go !
    DSC04024.JPG
    dartyppyt likes this.
  5. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    interesting color combo...nice
    Rossik likes this.
  6. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE
    yeah it's definitely a lovely job but in hindsight, I'm just hoping it's not all too black......

I remember seeing a pic of a restored Husky (think it might have been from Aus) which was mostly black - frame, platics etc.) and though it was definitely a sweet looking machine, it was maybe a bit too much black.

I've got a lot of black going on for sure (frame, rims, guards and motor) but with white side covers, an alloy tank & head and the yellow springs, maybe it won't be too much after all. I'm just getting the money together to have the fork springs and gold valve kit installed then the rebuild will begin
  7. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have only that in stock for black Aussie hva.

510 Australie 7.Griffo\'s northern australia.jpg
    Motosportz, Rossik and adam6402 like this.
  8. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE
    yeah Michel, that's the pic I was referring to. Very nice looking bike for sure but I'm hoping mine isn't so black (and it won't be I guess.....)
  9. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE
    ok after such a long time, the rebuild has finally begun, but one thing that I'm slightly disappointed by is how spongy the back end is.

The shocks (as pictured above) have been rebuilt by guys who know Ohlins and renovated with the spring preload setup for my size & weight (even taken out the spacer which restricts travel on the ITC shocks) but when I sit on it, it feels like a cheap mattress :(

Is it because this was an enduro and not MXer ? I haven't even ridden the thing yet and am already wanting to change the shocks, so maybe I just need to try it first, but man does that back end it feel soft....

Slightly bummed.......
  10. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE
    Here's what it looks like so far......and to be honest, I'm thinking it a tad on the too black side ........I'll see what it looks like oncve the engine and plastics are on and maybe I'll go for white plastics......

WP_20150118_002.jpg WP_20150118_001.jpg
  11. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Put a yellow tank and go chase the Bigfoot !
    Rossik likes this.
  12. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    ride it first..the itc can feel like they have no damping but it changes once in motion...
    Rossik likes this.
  13. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE

:) ha ha ha, I might just do that Michel ! :applause:
  14. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE

ok mate, I'll take your advice and do that.......it just kind of shocked me (excuse the pun) how much it sank when I first sat on it.......

It surely wouldn't have anything to do with my 106 Kg (233 Lbs) weight....... ;)
  15. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    did you have it sprung for your weight? your shock builder should have a sag setting he wants you to start with. the itc always are super supple in the first inch or two but should firm up after that. but regardless try riding it! i weigh 220 lbs, lol
  16. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE

yeah well the shocks are as they came, ie. the original springs but I did tell him my specs and that I wanted to use it primarily for MX work so that's what he worked towards.

Maybe some heavier springs could be in order, don't know really but I'll try it first as you suggest then take it from there.....
    justintendo likes this.
  17. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    drop the preload up a few notches, it has an effect alright... 3 would be my suggestion
  18. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    I personally like the colors your going with looks cool and I like my stuff different from the rest.
    Rossik likes this.
  19. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 Cross, 1983 500 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 Honda CR500R, 81 Honda CBX,
    I'd suggest measuring the diameter of your spring wire to get an idea. My 500CR came with the original springs with a wire diameter of 8.5mm (.340 inches), they were too soft for me. I'm about 210 with my gear on and ride motocross. I upgraded the springs with new Ohlins, # on springs is 00180-40 L4813. They measure .970 spring wire diameter. Felt a little stiff until ridden a few motos, now it works beautifully.
    Rossik likes this.
  20. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE

Thanks man. So where did you get those springs from - just googled that part number and didn't find anything.

Due to an already overblown budget I am going to do as Justintendo suggested and ride what I've got first but it would be good to know how much your suggestion would cost if I decide I wanna go down that road (might have to take my mother down to the pawn shop to see how much they'll give me for her....;)