1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

My 83/250cr crankshaft

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bigbill, Oct 31, 2017.

1. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Just use the wider 430 bearing. Fits fine. Yes the older mahle s were wider were piston pin fir in.
  2. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    The Kawasaki bearings I have used are -

13033-1010 This is a common small end bearing that fits KX250 1980 to 2005, KDX 250 1980 to 1994 as well as Tecate and a few others.

It measures up at - 18 x 22 x 23.8
    Bigbill and stormer254 like this.
  3. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    The problem is in the piston casting. Think about it one 250 casting(example) probably fits different makes of bikes depending how it’s machined. The inside width between the two wrist pin holes may vary but in the husky maybe the piston manufacturer doesn’t know there are thrust washers that center the rod on the crankshaft. It maybe left a tighter dimension from another different 250.

I can across a guy who didn’t know huskies and why there’s no washers on the crank. The husky does have there own way of doing things. But the after market piston manufacturer doesn’t know how important the inside width between the two wrist pin holes is. Did anyone contact the aftermarket piston manufacturer about this mistake?
  4. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I don't think it's a mistake Bill. Just evolution. Not everything stays the same just for old times sake.
    We do have to move on. Hell....even my 73 CCM has a 21st century piston.
  5. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    But there trying to use a existing forged piston from another bike by machining it for a different application. Like Andy’s bike we think we’re doing the right thing.
  6. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    Who is using a piston blank for another bike? Wiseco and Wossner both have model specific blanks for every piston they sell.

As long as the rod remains on the rollers it does not have to be centered exactly. The replacement rod for 125s is less than half the width of the stock rod at the small end, it can float 2-3mm either direction no problem,
  7. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I need to post pics of HVA/Andy’s connecting rod installed in my 83/250cr crank. It looks and feels awesome. The new rod has slots on the big end for oil and holes on the small end for oil. Looks great.
  8. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    "I need to post pics of HVA/Andy’s connecting rod installed in my 83/250cr crank.:notworthy:
    How about putting the crank in some v blocks and dial indicators on the ends. Might as well have a review of how Ken Oconnor Racing of western ct did.
    Do Andy's parts weigh different than the originals?

"Who is using a piston blank for another bike? Wiseco and Wossner both have model specific blanks for every piston they sell."
    The effort to make the side cut outs at the transfer match the lands and ports of the cylinder or just replicate the Mahle has been poor for what I have ordered or seen (not 250). There are such things referred to as blanks I have read on here (café husky in general) about over bore projects getting a run of them carved up to their spec.
    Fran
  9. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    sure, actually measuring it would a real test to see if they did a good job trueing..
  10. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    Right, when I was researching options for '82-'83 175 pistons I found several good candidates that could easily be used with only a different wrist pin size and/or pin height than the bike it was intended for, but I think the implication was the pistons being sold specifically for our Husky's by Wiseco and Wossner are made from blanks for another bike, which is not the case.
  11. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Thanks I ordered a few.
  12. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I have no vee blocks, my dial indicator is mia. I’ll post pics of it with Andy’s rod.

I need to fabricate a few tools. A static balancer, crank alignment tool. I need gas for my cutting torch. I have steel.
  13. squid on a 300 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 WR 250 79 CR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS 300 Trials 2 KTMs 2 Hodakas
    I'm missing something here...from what i'm reading if there are no spacers on the big end of the rod to center it on the crank, the piston centers the rod on the crank by using the small end spacers which should limit the amount of float the rod will have on the piston pin and top end bearing keeping the big end somewhat centered on the crank....right?.........Now,how is a wider small end bearing without the spacers going to limit the float and center the rod?.. it is still going to float on the wider bearing just as much as the standard width bearing. Granted it will be floating on a bearing surface all the time with the wider bearing but it will still be floating and possibly off centering the rod on the crank?
    bob
  14. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    No. The journals of the piston are closer together than the original.
    squid on a 300 likes this.
  15. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    The rod at the pin in the crank wheels has very little side play between the crank wheels. It does not get any help from the top (Wrist pin) staying where it needs to be. Other than that you make one or more good observations.

On the ones I have apart 430 and 500 the part of the rod that rubs against the crank cheek has four small scoops out of it somewhat bigger than a pencil but not that deep. The crank also has a hole that could carry oil to the big end bearing. Bill makes reference to the slot on the bottom of the connecting rod that seems the norm now.
  16. squid on a 300 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 WR 250 79 CR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS 300 Trials 2 KTMs 2 Hodakas
    "The rod at the pin in the crank wheels has very little side play between the crank wheels."

the rod on my 79 CR 250 has a lot of lateral play (several mm) between the crank wheels...it is a rebuilt crank with a new rod....the piston is at Powerseal with the jug right now...as grouty said above if the pin journals on the Wossner piston are much closer together than the Mahle it a moot point.
  17. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just ask Powerseal to measure the width between the journals for you. Then you will have an idea what you are going to do.
  18. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Andy’s new connecting rod has a slot in the middle on both sides of the large diameter of the connecting rod. On the piston end there are two offset oil holes at the top. This new rod will get more oil to the needle bearings and pins.
  19. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Post a picture of it Bill. You do have a digital camera or a cell phone in the household?
  20. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I’ll post pics soon of the crank. I purchased two dial indicators with magnetic bases and two new cheap lathe tail stocks with live centers from sleezebay. Then I can tram the crank.