MOTOSPORTZ Steering Damper- Review

Discussion in 'Motosportz' started by HUSKYnXJnWI, Nov 5, 2010.

1. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    Quick review of MOTOSPORTZ Steering Damper on my Husqvarna TE450-

[IMG]

This is my first Steering Damper. A lot of guys I ride with both have them and don’t. I never hear guys with dampers go out of their way to say how good they are unless specifically asked. Guys without Dampers often claim they are unnecessary and claim negative aspects yet have no experience. The non dampener guys have always been most influential on me and it didn’t help that the damper guys kept pretty quiet in the discussions (bench racing). NOW I know the answer and know why the damper guys were always quiet: they feel guilty… that’s how great my Motosportz Damper is anyway!

Installation was super easy and I was impressed by the forethought and craftsmanship. I like how the Motosprtz Damper is not in the way and appears made for the bike because if its low profile and streamlined unlike many other set ups. I have the IMS 3 gallon tank so that was the only slight challenge - this particular tank for the 2008-2010 dual cam bikes (except the xlite), were made very tight to the headstock. IMS apparently overlooked that detail- otherwise its been a fine aftermarket tank. Some IMS tanks have more and some less clearance in this area- you don't need much to use the Motosportz set up. But mine required some slight modification like Darkside (CH Member) had completed on his bike. I took the tank off and drained all the fuel and let it sit for a few days to dry. I used a heat gun and flattened the very front of the tank by pressing it with a piece of steel once the plastic just reached a temp where it would mold slightly. I went slow and was surprised how little I really needed to change. I sanded a little with a Dremel just to clean it up a little. I did not take any material away from the original really- just moved it for the most part.

I was happy with my bike’s suspension and the way it handles. The Motosportz Damper just adds more to the bike. I couldn’t really notice any adjustment time on my part. I originally set it just up from full “low” setting then slowly turned it up- I have it at about 2/3 of the way to the middle setting. On the stand you can notice its working resistance change when you turn the adjustment lever easily. I couldn’t notice it on the trail. It didn’t hamper me in tight sections or anywhere. Everything felt normal accept my bike didn’t care about ruts and trail trash that would normally knock you off track or deflect your bike: Absolute stability at high and low speed. I was surprised how I could concentrate on my line more than worrying about avoiding some ruts and trail trash. My bike did well at absorbing and maintaining stability but not like this. I have ridden other bikes that would easily deflect and you end up really looking for things to avoid- this is the opposite!

I have put about 300 miles of mixed terrain since installation mid October- dry to wet, loose, tacky, pavement, plowed fields, rocky climbs and downhill’s, jumps, 45’ logs, 90’ logs, small and large stumps, rutted sand, grass tracks, and even what appeared to be whatI call a “Miricle Grow Top Soil factory field” (like 3 feet deep of wet foam chunks) ruts going in every direction but straight- cept’ me! My assessment is the product is top notch! Now I plan to try it at LAB2V-2010!!!- should help with the high speed sandy sections for sure.

Thanks Motosportz!

Brad Eggum
  2. UberKul Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the write up. I have been on the fence with a stabilizer and your comments clinched the deal. I'm not looking for superhero, just a few less scabs.:thumbsup:
    Tinken likes this.