motor swap from '04 to '10 450 SMR

Discussion in 'Super Moto' started by guscycle, Mar 20, 2015.

1. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '99 Husky CR250, '07 Husky WR125,
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 Husky SMR450, '98 Husky Scooter
    I have a rebuilt '04 SM 450R engine that I was hoping to find a rolling chassis for...and I found a complete 2010 SM450 R for a great deal(another state ,but Husky dealer I know) Anyone know if the model year engine will fit without mods? I know the bolts and swingarm bolt are the same,the engine cases "look " identical ,but can't get a real accurate measure on their distances. I also noticed the '04 had the exhaust on right side ,but the '10 has it on the left-plus it has the cool factor of twin silencers, which come with the chassis . I know the 2010 had the EFI ,but mines carburated and I can get the harness for that model for cheap.Any thoughts/ ideas/comments.
    Thanx
  2. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    I would put the 04 engine in the 2010. You will need to swap the wiring harness for the carb engine. 04 had the valve problems so honestly that is a bad idea. I would definitely be replacing the valves with 1 piece del west TI and ti retainers with rr springs and intake cam. The 2010 engine uses EFI, different intake manifold, but the rest is close to the same.

04 had the kicker and electric. Problem is the kick start would crack around the case and ruin the outer case so they removed it to go e-start only for reliability.

Hope I helped. a 2004 smr motor is now 11 years old. It will need a bottom end and full rebuild likely to be used for supermoto (high rpm riding)
  3. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '99 Husky CR250, '07 Husky WR125,
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 Husky SMR450, '98 Husky Scooter
    I got the 04 motor for a case of beer! Had the rod/crank balanced/welded, Wossner Piston kit, all new bearings and seals(of course),replaced all the valves, keepers, retainers(been finished so long ago I can't remember which ones I installed...wasn't stock, tho)but I did use the stock cam. ...also has S/S oil filter with Mobil 1 Euro Spec 0-40w oil. It did come with the updated kick start new in box so I installed it for back up use.
    I work only 7 miles from home so I am going to commute on it...no racing, no interstate use but I definitely will re-gear it. Dealer has a used ignition that will swap/ work with carb set up. I'm sure I/m going to miss something here and there but I have a great dealer who has '04,05,06 used parts/bikes that were cannibalized from warranty claims that he ended buying back from Cagiva USA . Going to get it here in 2 weeks!