Motion Pro Chain Alignment

Discussion in 'TR650' started by A.Kazacos, Jun 22, 2018.

1. A.Kazacos Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Speed Four
    Hey guys,

I just bought the motion pro chain alignment tool and wanted to verify the results with the swing arm/ rear wheel axle method...

turns out the distances in both sides of the swing arm are not the same by 4mm

what method is more trust worthy?

Thank you!!
  2. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    Are you referring to the bushes in the swing arm...? is so refer to the workshop manual will explain setup which sets swingarm to one side but I cant remember the details. Are you also aligning front and rear sprockets....?
  3. A.Kazacos Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Speed Four
    The front and rear sprocket are now aligned with the motion pro tool. The measurements that are off are from the axle of the swingarm to the axle of the rear wheel.
    I don't understand what you are refering to by seting the swingarm to one side.

Thank you.
  4. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    The problem With this crap is it only makes the rear sprocket point towards the front sprocket . Doesn't actually mean they are parallel
  5. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    Roughly... the swingarm can be aligned left or right using the threaded bushes. The datum is to the right (I think?) and the gap is taken up with the left bush...this is so the sprockets are in line....I'm going from memory a bit here?? Attached is a page that talks about it...you need to study the manual.... I dont have the time right now sorry.

Attached Files:

6. A.Kazacos Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Speed Four
    Yes that thought is troubling me...
    I had seen that page before, still don't see how you can aligne the swingarm, I just see how you install it...
  7. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    you can not align the swing arm. Well, unless maybe if you'd add a washer on the drive side and then adjust the "clearance recovery ring nut" accordingly. That nut is meant to remove any gap between the swing arm and frame on the non-drive side, probably to compensate manufacturing tolerances.

Swing arm - axle distance only works if frame and swing arm are symmetrical which they may not be. But i also doubt that that rather simplistic alignment tool is that accurate. In the end you want the wheels properly aligned anyways.

Capture22.PNG
  8. A.Kazacos Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Speed Four
    So I'll try the old fashioned way, strings from the rear to the front wheel.

Many thanks to everyone