1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Mixtures

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Jim Deady, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Jim Deady Geezer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1978 250 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    68 Triumph Bonneville, 2Honda NC30,
    I've read all kinds of reasons to use different fuel/oil mixtures. What is the best for a 1978 ridden by an old guy with no intentions of racing and not wanting to fog this part of Ireland ?
  2. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

Follow the oil manufacture's recommendation and you'll be fine. Be sure to adjust your jetting to suit the air fuel ratio.
    More oil = lean air fuel ratio / less oil = rich air fuel ratio.
  3. Old Geezer Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 XC500, 1985 CR500
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Yamaha 360 MX, Harley FatBoy
    There are literally volumes of discussion on this topic and you're right, just as many opinions. Me, I opt to run a 32:1 fuel/oil ratio. You can run leaner than that and many people do, but I've always run this ratio in all the 2 strokes I've ever owned for over 45 years of riding. Why 32:1? Gives good cylinder and rod bearing lubrication (maybe reducing engine wear vs. a leaner ratio....but I'm sure someone would debate that as well), plus it's an easy mix to make with 4 ounces to a gallon of gas.

Just to expand on what Ron said re: mixture. Less oil in the mix means that less gas is displaced with that small amount of oil, thus there's more gas available to combust with the same given amount of air - making a richer combustion air/fuel ratio. The reverse is true with more oil being used in the mix (less gas available, leaner air/fuel ratio). The point is that your oil/fuel ratio will have an impact on your air/fuel ratio delivered by the carburetor. Once you decide on what fuel/oil mix you'll be using, then you should tune your carburetor jetting to achieve the desired combustion mixture setup. If you decide to go up or down the scale on oil ratios, then you need to confirm and/or re-adjust your combustion air/fuel mixture.

And oh....congrats on your first dirt bike. Even at 67 it'll make you feel like a young man again. I'll be 60 in a few months and sure do hope I'm still riding at your ripe old age! :-)
  4. Jim Deady Geezer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1978 250 CR
    Other Motorcycles:

Many Thanks for all the information guys, it's invaluable ! I may be 67 but my wife says I never made it past 20. I could really learn to love these things. The really good news is I accidentally fell into a great group of riders !
  5. Jim Deady Geezer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1978 250 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many thanks for all the information, it's invaluable ! As for taking this up at 67 my wife has an answer. She says I never made it past 20. I'll go with that. It looks like I fell into a great site. I could really learn to love these things !
  6. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    And just remember, adding a little extra oil into your pre-mix ratio, makes it leaner NOT richer, opposite of what you'd think

Husky John
  7. Old Geezer Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 XC500, 1985 CR500
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Yamaha 360 MX, Harley FatBoy
  8. Jim Deady Geezer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1978 250 CR
    Other Motorcycles: