Mind your bearings

Discussion in 'TR650' started by duibhceK, Jul 16, 2015.

1. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

almost ruined our plans for the coming long weekend (national holiday), but I got my hands on a nice and relatively cheap second hand rim and sprocket carrier off a Sertao.

Not entirely sure what caused it. My current theory is that the sprocket carrier bearing failed (for unknown reasons). My gf didn't notice and continued her ride. I only saw some weird play in the sprocket during the beginning of our next ride.
    So I'm not sure for how many kms it was that way, but is was enough to cause serious damage to the hub and to the sprocket carrier.

I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on all other bearings on both her and my TR and am considering doing a preventive replacement of all bearings (front+rear wheel, sprocket carrier, head stock and possibly also swingarm) before we leave on our trip to Siberia next year. Either that or carry them as spares in case one fails on route...
  2. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Looks like this is yet another weak point of the TR...you're not the first one with busted rear wheel/ carrier bearings and a resulting knackered hub/ carrier.
    Upgrading to some decent bearings is not a big (nor expensive) job.
    Considering the fact that all the wheel bearings are the same on the TR, I'd wondered about the pretty small-sized 6203s for the rear wheel, as normally the rear (carrying pillion/gear + the drive) bearings are sized bigger than the fronts in nearly all bikes I've come across in the past....additionally, the TR's weight distro is also rear-biased, adding to the above points.

I'm glad to have followed the previous advice here... and replaced the lot. I still keep checking the rear wheel bearings whenever the rear wheel is out.
    I'm still suspect of the small-sized rear wheel bearings, keeping another set on the shelf.
    No fun getting stranded with an expensive recovery bill and a busted holiday.... for $50 worth of bearings, arghhh.
    engineerk9 and snail_72 like this.
  3. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    What surprised me most was that it appears to have been the sprocket carrier bearings that failed first. And it was a double row cylinder bearing, whereas the drawings on ktm-parts.com seem to show 2 separate regular 6203 bearings with a spacer and retainer.
  4. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada

Twin bearings with spacer and retainer here. Can't remember the ##, but they were generics, nothing special. The swingarm bearings might be, though...many of the Euro bikes use Torrington bearings and are proprietary (SKF-group AFAIK).
  5. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    The sprocket carrier bearings also break up on the 650GS, happened to me, I did a late night 450 km run home from a trip and kept hearing noise from around me at traffic lights at the end of the trip, every time I looked around there was a 4wd so rode home. In the morning I went to roll it out of the garage and the noise was a little odd, suffice to say I took another vehicle that day. I suspect I was lucky as the carrier was not damaged as in the pic here but the bearings and races were completely chewed up

It seems to be the fact water can get in there unlike the main wheel bearings, definitely worth keeping an eye on. The bearings are normally SKF
  6. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Check the OEM/Interchange index on ADV under "Drive Train>bearings" I think they are SKD 6203 and also 6204 with 30X40X7MM seals as I recall.
  7. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    When I get back from our trip to France I'll see if I can find a part number on the double row bearing that failed.
  8. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Since we have 2 Terras and mine was due a new rear tyre, I figured that would be a good time to check its bearings as well. Wheel bearings were still a-ok. Sprocket carrier bearing was a different story.

I made a little smartphone clip of what I found.

I guess I better replace that one before it ends up like the other.
  9. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Couldn't get anything legible off the (double row) knackered one, but the one in the little clip above is an SKF Explorer part # 6204-2RSH/C3
  10. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
  11. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
  12. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    The Lemon factor strikes again !!
  13. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    That's exactly what I found in mine. I've re-used the spacer/ washer and the clip as there's no operating stress or load on those.
    As per Charlie, the seal is a generic 30X40X7mm.

Unlike most other carriers, this one has TWO both bearings, side-by-side. with a small spacer in between.
    Both bearings extract/ insert from one side only.

Sorry for the slightly blurred shot, but still clearly visible....double-depth bearing seat, showing the recess for the retainer clip.

[IMG]

Factory bearings are SKF Explorer 6204, 2 off...

[IMG]

...and a generic 30x40x7MM seal

[IMG]

The entire stack of bits and parts
    Left-to-right as it belongs into the carrier:
    1) Bearing at the bottom
    2) retainer clip and spacer
    3) the second bearing
    4) seal

[IMG]

As the bearing seat is double-depth, I knocked the core out of one of the old SKF's, cutting and de-burring the outer to use as a tool
    when carefully knocking in the new bearings.
    Which should make for nice, smooth travel and seating of the new bearing without going askew along the way, possibly damaging the seat of the upper bearing.
    The slot allows sufficient give to extract the ring after the first bearing's in place.

[IMG]
    PaulC and Philberto like this.
  14. Pacificus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    [IMG]I just noticed that the bearing in my rear sprocket carrier needs replacing. Are there two bearings in there? I haven't a clue as to how to remove the bearing. Is it an interference fit? Could you please tell me how to remove it? I just bought a new bearing from a local bike shop minutes before it closed. The owner told me it would be very simple to replace, but bashing it with a hammer is all I can think of, and that didn't work. Does it need heating-up? I can't see any circlip to remove. Please help!
  15. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
  16. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    Just for the record, I discovered my sprocket carrier bearings failed at around 62,000k. One was almost seized and the other had collapsed . Suffered a bit of damage to the new cush rubbers but thankfully the hub was fine.
    They seemed to go without warning so check regularly. The giveaway was a squeak from the rear end, probably a combination of the bearings failing and cush rubbers complaining!
    All in all, no complaints about lifespan. This bike has been through many creeks & rivers.
    Make sure you get the replacement bearings with the "C3" designation for high speed use. There's a fraction more clearance for the balls for more heat & expansion.
    PaulC likes this.
  17. Richard Colahan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    71 250 Cross, 74 125WR, 75 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vintage British bikes, 1969 Penton
    Doing a routine service on a friend's Terra at ~ 10,000 miles.
    All bearings were good...carefully removed the sealing discs...wiped a bit of the old grease out and repacked them.
    What I DID do is replace the 2 30/40/7 rear grease seals and the front 25/40/7 front axle grease seal.
    All 3 were worn...2 had broken tension springs...and none were providing a good seal.
    Seems like good low-expense preventive maintenance...perhaps at alternating tire replacements... 018.JPG
    Chisler likes this.
  18. Chisler Husqvarna
    AA Class

British Columbia, Chilliwack River Valley
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 300 Husqvarna
    Factory packed 6203 .... very minimal grease
    glitch_oz likes this.
  19. Chisler Husqvarna
    AA Class

British Columbia, Chilliwack River Valley
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 300 Husqvarna
  20. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    They're also the lowest grade SKF Eplorer bearings...(IIRC made in Portugal or Hungary or something like that).
    Junked mine after 5000mi together with chain/sprockets/ sprocket-carrier and head bearings etc.