1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

mikuni carbs, suppliers

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by MikeDi, Jan 13, 2017.

1. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Stuck in the 80's vintage
    Hey Guys,
    Who are you guys using for Mikuni Carbs. I need a 38 jetted for a 1983 430WR.
  2. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    google has a few..
  3. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    You could try Sudco
  4. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    Mikuni is so yesterday :p
    MikeDi likes this.
  5. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    philistine lectron believer.....:oldman:
    MikeDi likes this.
  6. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks guys, I'm already obsessing enough about this bike, do I need to look at Lectron's? :thinking:

7. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have not ordered from Sudco, but have ordered from Carbpartswarehouse..com. This was for my Yamaha IT200. Was a Mikuni, they jetted it to factory, provided two extra main jets one up one down. I also bought a motion pro throttle and cable which are pretty cheap but work ok. All in it was about $200 bucks. It took about two weeks.
    Husqvarna-parts.com advertises carbs jetted to factory for $199 or so, with an extra $20-25 for slide change.
  8. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    I took a chance a few years ago after reading 'Motorsportz' threads about the Lectron carbs. Even back then when the $/£ rate was better I could have bought two new Mikuni's for the price of one Lectron. But it was worth every penny and more. I then bought another for my 390 Auto as they are so good. At the end of the day it is your choice. A correctly jetted Mikuni works just fine. Just that I have moved on.
    Shame I can't try one on the 73 CCM, but it would not be allowed for our pre-74 class.
  9. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
  10. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    I've found I could never find all parts in one place. If you are looking for a complete carb you'll have better luck.
  11. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    nothing wrong with the vm mikuni...classic carb with parts availability, and performs well when dialed.
    for me, the problem arises when you are spending money for a new mikuni..that i would never do. theres alot to be read about lectrons here. they start looking very appealing when you are talking about buying new. the ability to have them ordered machined to fit your application is nice. im very glad i purchased the one i did, and i doubt you would have a hard time selling one for a swede close to what you paid if you didnt like yours.
  12. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Ebay? I just purchased a 38mm mikuni with a throttle assembly for a 390. A 38mm is a 38mm you just have to make sure it's for a 83/84 bike the length of the rear horn is a tad longer I think. If it's a 250 carb then the jetting, the needle jet, carb slide cutout, the needle maybe different. Think about installing a thunder products UFO in the carb slide too.
  13. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bill, The original carb didn't come with my bike. I can see there is a long and short. Thank you for that,
    Also most come with a 2.5 slide. spec calls for 2.0.
    does it make a huge difference?
  14. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    the slide size is another jetting tool. when your needle runs out of clip positions or ideally to keep the clip position close to center you alter the slide size
    lankydoug likes this.
  15. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    If you buy a Mikuni and later have to buy a different slide, needle and multiple jets you will be close to even with the price of a lectron. I made that mistake on my WR250 and even though I got my Mikuni running great once I put the Lectron on it it was much better in every way, the biggest bonus was it increased the fuel mileage so much I didn't need an oversized tank especially riding single track... Wide open sand riding there's not much of a difference in mileage. Another big gain was it was able to go from 1500 ft to 9,000 ft with nothing but a 1/4 turn on the idle screw (no tools required).
    justintendo likes this.
  16. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    When you runout of clip positions on the needle you need to go to a richer needle or leaner needle depending on if the needle is at the last clip on top or bottom. The needle jet factors in also if it's rich or lean. The needle jet is a bathtub full of gas.

Start off jetting with the needle in the center as said above. Make sure the float needle and seat is good. Like refreshing with new pistons,seals,bearings I also install a new needle and seat on every used bike when I freshin it. Then I'm sure it's good. I have a 99% average that the needle and seat leaks gas. Another lesson learned. We can't jet it correctly with a leaking needle and seat.
    2premo and MikeDi like this.
  17. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    I see $340 to $380 on their web site.
    Mikuni jetted to stock is about $210.
    Just figured i'd check and get sticker shock.
  18. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I watch eBay for a decent price on a used one. Buy the used carb, buy a new needle and seat. I use a carb cleaning system it's a one gallon can with carb cleaner and a basket. Disassembly the carb and let it soak.
  19. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    not bad really, the replacement slides are pricy. i still do have a tackle box with assorted pilots, needles, needle jets, slides, mains, needle clips and shims, etc...all used to tune.
    stock jetting will also not work on a 430. all years of 430 are notorious for being really rich on the bottom, transitioning to being ok or lean up top. there will be a decent amount of tuning to get it right.
    to me the price of a carb swap isnt bad at all compared to other costs, on a rider where function is important. a nice advantage to the leccy are no tuning replacement parts aside from the metering rod, which in itself in very adjustable.
    MikeDi likes this.
  20. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    when you run out of clip positions you change the needle jet richer or leaner. it doesnt mean you need a different needle. if you have a bike that runs well on the bottom or top clip, the next size needle jet will put the clip back to the middle....or VERY close it. mikuni has it set up that way for a reason.