1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Mecum Auction Results

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Crashaholic, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Here are a few results from the Mecum auction in Vegas this week. The first four bikes had no celebrity attachment, just bikes owned by typical lunch box joes.

74 250CR.png

76 360WR Unrestored.png

78 390 Auto.png

1982 430XC.png
  2. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    In this bunch of bikes is one owned by Malcolm Smith.

1967 Malcolm Smith ISDT 250.png

72 250WR.png

1975 360CR.png

1988 430 Enduro Auto Never Ridden.png
  3. PEZBerq Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    390AMX, 430XC, 240WR, 2x510TE, FE501
    Apart from the celebrity owned bikes it’s hard to see the sellers making much profit on these bikes. Quality restorations are not cheap - especially if you pay for the labour. We do it for love and fun don’t we!
  4. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    What is the commission? At least 10 % I would guess. Is there a buyers premium as well so those prices are not the real out the door price. Sales tax in Nevada?

One cable network has those auctions a certain channel. I only have seen it once for motorcycles, like most auctions way at the end there are some unrealistic low prices. There were some toaster tank BMW going for 5-600. I think they had some motox Suzuki ridden by a big name and it was in the thirty thousands.

How about Wood auctions they used to specialize in motorcycles it seemed. Do they still do the Daytona bike week auction?

Are these really lunch box joe's bikes or someone's collection getting liquidated in order to settle their estate?
  5. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I think its 10% so yeah add another 10% to the price.

Check out this over priced 450WR. Its missing the following stock components; tank, controls, inner fender carburetor, intake manifold, fork seal dust caps and clamps. The frame has been modified with the addition of home made swingarm gussets. The chrome chain guard is damaged.

I'd say the seller really made out well on this.

1972 450WR.png
  6. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Did Malcom Smith sell his bike? Or did someone else own it? Wondering.

Almost two decades ago I sold a ‘72/250wr that needed paint, the motor was rebuilt for $750 with a parts bike.
  7. DPete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1972 WR250 76' 360 WR 18' FE 450 17
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yam wr250r - Suz DRZ400s - 2 Harleys
    Not sure why the 72' 250 wr went so low, it costs about $1K to run one across the block so that owner only got $2K, maybe the wrong fenders had to do with it.
  8. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    That's a good point, something I hadn't considered. I view this particular bike as a refurbish job than a true restoration. Evidently the bidders thought so as well.

I wonder what the sellers obligation is to mention any mechanical problems with the auctioned bike. Bummer to get your $12,000 dirt bike home and find it doesn't have a transmission.
  9. DPete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1972 WR250 76' 360 WR 18' FE 450 17
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yam wr250r - Suz DRZ400s - 2 Harleys
    I sold a clean unrestored 1970 DT1 enduro at that auction a couple years back, as I remember you fill out details on the bike, there is no starting after you turn the bike over to them, just looking. I'm sure there are repercussions of some kind if you misrepresent the bike. There seems to be a lot more off road and enduro bikes there now. My DT1 sold for $4K, by the time I paid Mecum and paid for the trip I about broke even on the deal, had fun tinkering with it though. You have to be well informed about prices if you are going to win at their game.
  10. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Each used bike we purchased has a unique story. Does that count when they auction it.?

Example. My ‘77 Husqvarna 360wr I purchased from the Adams Family. It’s true Lurch owned it, you can’t make this stuff up. You had to be there.

#2 Husqvarna 83/250wr I purchased from the wife who divorced her husband. It was his.
  11. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Same thing when we buy used parts. If a ignition is for sale I ask did you check it to see if it works? If they did I make a decent offer. If they didn’t see if it worked then I low ball the offer. I ask about returning it too.

Don’t forget if your bike runs, it’s all orginal your sitting on gold. Where will the prices be in ten years?
  12. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    What stops the seller from lying about the ignition working? Some sellers are completely clueless about what they are selling. Best to do is to know how to test it yourself with a multi tester
  13. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    How do I test SEM and Motoplat ignitions?
  14. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    http://www.uk-motoplat.com/testing.html This link has some info for you Bill, I have several unchecked old Moto Splatt that start easily, I have several repaired by Bradford Ignitions and a new system from Andy at HVA, I also have a box of SEM and Moto Splatt that are only good for fishing weights!
  15. vintagecs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '78 390OR, '76 360 Auto, '74 125SC
    Other Motorcycles:
    Penton, Yamaha
    I could be wrong, but.............in searching my favorite Craigslist cities for vintage Huskys, there seems to be fewer posted than before the auction. Maybe people are going to hoard more than before.
  16. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I’m seeing used parts climbing. Used ignitions for $200+. I might as well buy new.

Stormer254, thanks.
  17. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Jeff Ward's last SR250 works bike was sold at the Mecum Auction for $49K. I was surprised that Kawasaki put it up for auction. They seemed so serious about honoring the works history by preserving the works bikes that brought them to where they are today.
  18. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    It’s all about the money right? There cashing in on the fame to get the fortune. Forget history.