Malcolm gets a much-desearved ride.

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by MotoMarc36, Nov 7, 2014.

1. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    Though I really believe he belongs on a 450.....

From Racerx.....

Malcolm Stewart has a home for 2015. Since the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship finale at Utah, the rumor front has been quiet on where Stewart may land next year. Stewart raced Red Bull Straight Rhythm and the Monster Energy Cup on a Seven backed Honda.
    "I'm excited for this opportunity," Stewart said in a statement. "Obviously, the GEICO Honda team is a top-tier group that is always in contention. I think my previous experience in the 250 class, especially in 250SX West, will help make this transition easier and get us off to a fast start. I'm hoping to start the year off strong and get the results I think we are capable of achieving."
    Last year with Lucas Oil/Troy Lee Designs Honda, Stewart finished sixth in the 250SX West Region, including three podiums. The deal announced today will have Stewart returning to the West Region in 2015. No announcement was made in regards to the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship.
    "We like to put our best foot forward on the West Coast," GEICO Honda team manager Mike LaRocco said in a statement. "Not only is the majority of the industry located in this region but the West riders kind of dictate the rest of the racing. The other riders really get to build some momentum off the West guys if they're running well, and that's what we like to try to ensure.
    "Running in both the 450 and 250 classes, we like to keep a good balance of experienced riders and rookies on the team," he added. "We think Malcolm will help bring that balance. The kid's got speed and hopefully, in the right environment, we can get some podium results out of him."
    Stewart will join rookies RJ Hampshire and Jordon Smith as well as the returning 2014 250SX East Region Champion Justin Bogle and Matt Bisceglia on the GEICO team.
    juicypips likes this.
  2. TemecuCoastie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FC250 and 2012 TC250
    Saw this the other day. It's good news.
  3. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I must be old, I see Malcolm in the title and I think Smith.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Well deserved and I agree he should be on a 450. Hes a top 10 450 guy and cant get a ride. Wierd.
    TemecuCoastie likes this.
  5. TemecuCoastie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FC250 and 2012 TC250
    Agree. Wierd indeed....
    Kevin_TE250 likes this.
  6. jimjim Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    gasgas
    Ha,thats funny!
  7. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    MS34 is a very good rider but the ama is a business and is full of good riders ... Does he ever get on the podium? That's the 1st level on the top rung of ama racing. 3rd place on a podium.

Moving from that short 250 class season to the 450 season is a big deal... Didn't MS34 have a major health issue just last yr? I'm not sure how close you guys actually follow this racing, but MS34 is turning from that chubby kid to a rock-hard player. He'll have another day on 4fitty...

This is a business just like the FIM ...The current FIM 250 champ has been running and winning and dominating that class for longer than MS34 has been riding a 250 maybe. Why? We all know why. Don't worry with MS....He's a big boy who can hold his line :)
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    yes many times.

Stewart ended last year's 250SX West action in sixth place with three podium results and just one finish outside the top 10, showing he has the skills it takes to be a winner at the professional level.
  9. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    Motosportz likes this.
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    This young man is at work over in Switzerland currently...

Final SX1: 1. Marvin Musquin, 2. Cedric Soubeyras, 3. Malcolm Stewart, 4. Fabien Izoird, 5. Josh Hill, 6. Valentin Teillet, 7. Angelo Pellegrini, 8. Christophe Martin, 9. Kyle Chisholm, 10. Matteo Bonini
  11. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Me too that was my first thought. But he's old now and probably still can beat me.
  12. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Not exactly seeing the "much-deserved ride" part? That guy has serious substance/anger management issues. Talent by itself doesn't make you deserving of a ride.
  13. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    I base that comment of several facts:

He has proved durable and able to complete race series.
    He is a podium threat in any race he enters.
    He has shown skill on both 250 and 450 machines of different brands.
    He is amiable on camera. He gets on camera a lot.
    He is very enthusiastic.
    He performed well over the winter on a privateer effort.
    He is well liked by a majority of the riding and viewing public alike.

I think points 1 and 2 alone make him much-deserving of a ride. The rest is just icing that makes him better at portraying a good image for his sponsors.

I believe if you are going to label someone with "anger-management and substance issues" that you should elaborate a bit and cite sources or you just come off like you're trashing on someone's reputation.
  14. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Fair enough.

Anger management came from Malcolm physically assaulting another rider on the course because he ran into him. Barcia bumped into him, big deal, that's racing. But Malcolm's actions afterwards were childish. This resulted in a $5000 fine and probation for the rest of the year by the AMA. This is very poor sportsmanship, you just don't do that.

Stewart was forced to sit out beginning round 8 of the series at Spring Creek MX due to severe dehydration that took a toll on his kidney and liver function. Or at least this is the information they released which sounds totally benign. Hard to believe a pro with the resume and resources of Malcolm would let his hydration go to the point of kidney and liver impairment. There must be more to the story.

His real prognosis at the hospital was Rhabdomyolysis. This was later changed to "severe dehydration" for the media. Rhabdomyolysis is the breakdown of muscle tissue that leads to the release of muscle fiber contents into the blood. These substances are harmful to the kidney and often cause kidney shutdown and damage.

Rhabdomyolysis Causes:
    Extreme muscle strain, especially in someone who is an untrained athlete. This can happen in elite athletes too, however requiring severe trauma.

The use of alcohol or illegal drugs such as heroine, cocaine or amphetamines.

The use of medications such as antipsychotics or statins, especially when given in high dose.

Long-lasting muscle compression such as that caused by prolonged immobilization after a fall or lying unconscious on a hard surface during illness or while under the influence of alcohol or medication

An extreme crush injury such as from an auto accident, fall, or building collapse.

Malcolm is still suffering from lingering weakness and muscle pain, although he says he is still rebuilding his electrolytes.

You look at this as "slamming", maybe it is, I look at this as a rider who needs to get his life in order.

You may recall past issues with Malcolm's older brother James Stewart and his provisional suspension as a result from a failed drug test due to his use of amphetamines.

Maybe Malcolm has been taking this same substance to treat his "long term condition", then he still needs to take steps in getting his life in order as well.

MalcolmStewart.jpg
  15. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Just out of curiosity, how do you know this young mans' medical history? That is privileged information.

Second, this is not Stew... From my vantage point, Malcolm has not be riding off his brothers' or father coattails too much ... That's a burden he must carry from birth ...
  16. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    What ever happened on the ruling of James Stewart in regards to the ADD/ADHD drug scandal? I may have missed it along the way if the final ruling came down.
  17. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Twitter.
    MotoMarc36 likes this.
  18. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    Well that's more like it at least we know where you are coming from now!

In response I guess I would say that his medical condition is not unprecedented, there have been many riders that have suffered exhaustion and dehydration that has ended their season either actually or for all practical purposes. Eli Tomac comes to mind. Dean Wilson has had an issue, there are others. Drugs like Heroin or amphetamines? Maybe but I sure ain't going to label someone like that. without real inside knowledge.
    As for the Barcia incident, I think calling it "bumped into" especially considering Barcia's history is a stretch. I'd be willing to bet the jury is split on whether or not Barcia deserved it or Malcolm was way out of line. I'd argue that Barcia has had a past of anger-management issues! Many high-profile riders have been caught in the heat of battle and acted aggressively, retaliated. Kevin Windham, Chad Reed, many others (I won't mention Mike Allessi because he is just a Moron).

We'll just have to dis-agree on this one. All that matters to Malcolm, though, is that Geico Honda agrees with me!:thumbsup:
    Tinken likes this.
  19. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Love both those guys. Toughness (Larocco) and heart (Malcolm). Was great to see him win.
    MotoMarc36 likes this.