Lynx Fairing for the Husky

Discussion in '610/630' started by Hoder, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    That looks great. :thumbsup:

it's happening right before our eyes.
  2. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

That look so good Bob, :applause:
    I swear there's enough space to put a Goldwing stereo on it.......:lol:
    when you get a chance, weather permitting be sure to let us know how you like it

:thumbsup:
  3. Nesbocaj Husqvarna
    A Class

:lol: I was thinking more along the lines of a "boom Box"

[IMG]
  4. Howard70 Husqvarna
    A Class

Which Light is Which?

Hey:

This is a pretty silly question, but I've never let that stop me before...:confused:

On the Lynx fairing with the Halogen lights, which light is the high beam and which is the low? I'm finally installing mine and I can't tell which is which. The relays and plugs are labelled but not the lights. I'm guessing high the right light, the one where you can't see the bulb when looking in the front.

Anyone know?

And yes, I realize I could hook them up and see, but the way I'm mounting the relays creates a situation where it would save time to know before hand!

Howard Snell
  5. Nesbocaj Husqvarna
    A Class

Howdy Howard,

The low beam should be the one with the diffuser built into the lens. Looks like a big old piece of rounded glass.

Bob

6. Howard70 Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks!

Hello Bob:

Thanks! That will save me some time.

Howard
  7. Howard70 Husqvarna
    A Class

Finally - Finished Install

Took longer that it should have, but finally finished up my installation.

I've posted additional photos and details with suppliers for the various parts in an album (http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/album.php?albumid=32).

230 miles into a 280 mile ride that include 120 miles at 70 -75 on freeway. Great wind protection and little buffeting at that speed!
    [IMG]

I was going to mount the instruments higher, but found the speedo wire & brake hose obscured them more when mounted up. leaving that spot for a larger GPS. The Spot & GPS are far enough apart to prevent interference and both are protected by the Cycra Probends.
    [IMG]

Spot is on a RAM mount off of the mirror
    [IMG]

GPS is on a RAM mount drilled through the Cycra - it helps visibility for me to have it a bit further away and saves room on the handlebars
    [IMG]

Location & mounting of ignition, voltmeter, and headlight relays (removed from supplied plate to make better use of space) and relocated horn
    [IMG]

Completed (for now) back of dash. The fuzeblock packs 6 relays, switched or constant, all fused, into 3x2 inches. A great space & time saver
    [IMG]

Trimmed fairing to retain stock signals
    [IMG]

I'm really happy with the fairing and the adjustable windscreen. The halogen lights are fine for me, but I'm not a nocturnal desert racer. I'll be mounting some SAE power outlets on the sides of the dash and possibly a Garmin 640 above the instruments. Still need to dial in the headlight adjustment.

If you're thinking about one of these I'd recommend it. If you want a simple install it can be quick, if you end up with lots of special fitting (triple clamp mounted guards, stock signals, lots of electronics, plan of taking some time. I checked with Britanniacomposites and the plastic dash is only about $20 or so if you end up drilling to many holes before you finally settle on where you want everything. That's pretty reasonable.

Howard L. Snell
  8. Nesbocaj Husqvarna
    A Class

Good job Howard! Using the adhesive hangers like that is a neat idea and the 'FUZE' box is cool. We both had our displays end up in almost the exact same spot...wish there was more length on that wire.

The shield is crying out for a Husky decal.....

[IMG]

I also put some 3M clear stuff, that I had around, on the lights for a little protection.
  9. Howard70 Husqvarna
    A Class

Nesbocaj:

Where do I get one of those decals in RED? That would polish off the front of my bike perfectly.

I had a problem with the instrument wire pulling just enough to partially disconnect and the display wouldn't work. I think I solved that by hanging the whole wiring loom that comes to the front from some of the adhesive pads with woven dacron fishing line. Now there's not nearly as much pressure pulling down on the connection to the instrument panel. Getting the wires supported from above also seems to make more room and less confusion behind the Lynx head lights. Why woven dacron fishing line? It's really strong, small diameter, holds knots well and I have a thousand feet left over from the old sailboat days when we used it for whipping lines, repairing sails, and all those lost skills.....

Howard
  10. Nesbocaj Husqvarna
    A Class

EBAY Item number: 320345176179 , hold your hat, 99 cents AND FREE shipping :thumbsup:

http://tinyurl.com/cl9k3y

Ah, a former sailer myself. 27' Oday, sold it to a shrink after I taught him how to sail (part of the deal). Oh man, a whole SET of lost skills!

Quick, tie me a Monkee's fist! Hahahahahah:eek:
  11. Howard70 Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks, wrote to see if there was one in red.

O'day 27s were good boats. We started with a 19' Lightining, then a Santana 23, then an Olson 40 that we sailed to the Galapagos. My wife ran it as a research boat supporting conservation programs there for several years until we sold it there to a friend who we'd worked with in the islands since our Peace Corps days back in the late 70's. It's fun to see your boat go to someone you're convinced will care for it!

But its more fun not having to worry about a boat 3,000 miles away on a mooring that you made from old cruiseboat anchor chain and a cracked catepillar engine block!:thumbsup:

Howard
  12. Nesbocaj Husqvarna
    A Class

Lynx Fairing: Where did you all run the front brake line?
    I have mine through the provided cut-out, but is sees a lot of motion
    there with the suspension moving up and down.

Ideas? :excuseme:
  13. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Take a look at rallye bikes, like in the Dakar event. They all (its a regulation) have the various brake/ICO lines clamped firm at the bottom triple clamp.

Meaning the brake lines dont go up and down thru the cockpit. They are stationary above the bottom triple clamp.

At first i was skeptical but my rally bike has a couple years on it now with that set up and there is absolutely no issue at all. Just dont 'tie it off' with a sharp edge, that might cut into the cable. I used a thick plastic zip tye followed by hose clamp.

Just an idea for ya.
  14. Nesbocaj Husqvarna
    A Class

Good idea, I'll get the bike up on stand so I get full extension and give it a shot. So all the flex is below?
  15. Nesbocaj Husqvarna
    A Class

Howard, in this pic:
    [IMG]

See the line over your display with the white connector on the bottom right?

That just comes out and then goes back in, so you could bury it in the fairing if you want.
  16. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sorry, i missed this one.

YES!

All the flex is below. Its actually a very cool way to go. It works great. Dont be afraid to try it.

Just do a search for pics of recent rally bikes and you will discover they all the cables captured just above the bottom triple clamp.

Doesnt seem to harm the brake/ICO cables at all. Although at full bottom out it is a real bow.
  17. Nesbocaj Husqvarna
    A Class

Great, thanks!:thumbsup:
  18. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    The brake line deal had me interested so I looked up some photo's...

Looks like some bend in and some bend out.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Later,
  19. Nesbocaj Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks Jake!

Gonna' give it a shot, when time.........:banghead:
  20. Howard70 Husqvarna
    A Class

OEM Instruments - Angle on Lynx

I've had my Lynx fairing for a couple of months now. I like it alot, but I've noticed a problem with the OEM instrument panel when mounted low on the dashboard - it's fine in daylight, but almost unreadable at night.

Seems to be an angle issue. The stock placement is very nearly the same distance, but the stock angle is flatter. When you mount the instrument panel on the Lynx dashboard the angle increases and the LCD seems hard to see at night. If I slouch down it is more visible.

Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?

Howard