1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Austria - About 2014 & Newer
    TE = 2st Enduro & TC = 2st Cross

TE/TC looking at converting from a 4T to a 2T

Discussion in '2st' started by te450dean, Dec 23, 2018.

1. te450dean Husqvarna
    AA Class

hey guys, so i am looking a trading in my 2010 TE450 for either a 250 or 300, (15-17 models). there is quite a few second hand selling for around 8-10K (in Australia),

only question is i have not yet rode one. I have been to a Beta & Gas Gas test ride day the other week, i found the Beta 300 just stupid power, while the 250 was a little easy to ride,
    then i rode the Gas Gas models, the 300 was what i thought riding a 300 would be like, and the 250 was just as good, a little easy to push it harder, but saying that, i was pretty much sold on the fact i need a 2T, (i did ride the beta 350,390,430 4t but was like meh, my te450 is almost as good)

overall around the little test track i was 12 seconds faster on the EC300, 10 secs faster on the EC250 compared to my TE450, and i loved it, riding became enjoying instead of a punish.

so what would i expect from a newer Austrian Husky compared to the Gas Gas 2019 models, or what about the last of the Italian 2010/2013 models, seen some pop up under 4K , or what should i look out for

any help would be good

cheers

dean
  2. ptkatoomer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2020 ktm 300 xc-w, 2020 ktm 500exc
    My ,17 300XC is the smoothest 2-stroke I've ever ridden with that counter-balancer . After experiencing that, I don't think I could go with anything else . The lightest weight too. Obviously from the results, the GasGas is a great bike and you probably can't go wrong with either.
    te450dean likes this.
  3. te450dean Husqvarna
    AA Class

yeah ive been looking at reviews, seen alot of people love either or, it looks like the 250 love to be ridden hard and revs out more, while the 300 loves to be shifted more often.
    i found that on the test day, i could hold it flat on the 250 through the whoops/rough sections, but if i did that on the 300 it would try to kill me, so i could hold it 70/80 percent open on the rough stuff. which is fine. but just being a 'younger rider' (30), i still like to ride hard/aggressive so was leaning to the 250 a little more for this reason.
  4. ptkatoomer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2020 ktm 300 xc-w, 2020 ktm 500exc
    I would say if you ride faster, more open stuff, then the 250 would be better.
    te450dean likes this.
  5. ggg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250 14
    Other Motorcycles:
    NONE
    KTM suspension is no where as good as the gas gas, be prepared to spend more money again if you buy the KTM/HUSKY, yes the motors KTM / huskys are smoother but is the motor the most important element is the question, buying second hand and finding one that has had the forks re valved is what you should looking for and i doubt that would still be as good a KYB, also ktm motor are not a stronger as the gassers but smoother, so a TPI or carb 250 ktm wont be like the gasser 250 so i would look for a 300 ktm/husky

old huskys the 300's are very good smooth motors, very old tech the whole bike, gasser, ktm blow it away.
  6. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    If you're considering the KTM/Husky for about the same money you should look at the TM en300 or en250 which has an amazing engine and suspension. The GasGas is lower in price than either the KTM or TM but that said my friend who bought a GasGas and then rode my TM said if he had it to do over he would buy the TM. Same thing as another friend said after buying a Beta 300 and rode my TM en300. I've heard that Aussies have trouble getting access to good race fuel which would be a deal breaker on the TM since they all require race fuel. My en300 MAP switch on the handlebar changes the personality quite a bit so if you're looking for smooth linear power MAP 2 is perfect... MAP 1 in ridiculously fast and would be great for MX or sand.
    te450dean likes this.
  7. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have a 2016 Husky TE 300 with 3,600 miles 240 hours the bike has been perfect never had to change any parts yet I have done King of the moto 3 times on this bike I have done Last dog standing 3 times on this bike I have raced the National Hare and hounds for 2 years and have many miles of extream trails on it ZERO parts changed So tell me where you can find a better bike.

I think the new Husky are great bikes and I plan to stay a loyal rider to the brand
    jimmyc and te450dean like this.
  8. te450dean Husqvarna
    AA Class

i dont think we even have dealers that get TMs anyway, race fuels we can get, but id rather stick to pump 98Ron fuel, for MX i would not mind but enduro id rather just use pump fuel
  9. te450dean Husqvarna
    AA Class

so your saying the EC250 would be similar power wise to the TE300or ktm 300?

i did find the Beta 250 was similar power to the Gasser 300, the beta 300 was just a arm wrecker,it felt like riding my 450, the gasser 250 then was a lot easier to ride than both Betas (mostly due to suspension), then again the gasser 300 was fun as well, although i could push the 250 a little harder, honesty i could not pick between them, i was leaning towards the 300 as i did get use to it and was 2 or so seconds quicker around the test loop
  10. hhdwtmtw He who dies with the most toys wins...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE300, '11 TE449, '10 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
    I ride a 2014 Husky TE300 2T and the only downside is the lack of engine braking on long descents when riding in the high country (sometimes resulting in brakes overheating).

Apart from this minor loss of control issue I love the 2 stroke for the torque, lightness and sheer grin factor.

The newer KTM/Huskies with the counterbalanced motor are awesome however probably outside your price range...and get a 300, not a 250. The extra torque is what you want, not top end power.
    te450dean likes this.
  11. 95jersey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Gas Gas 300 XC
    Any of those bikes will be better than the tank you are riding. I would say try to find the best deal if buying used. On a side note the KTM is a better bike all around but only with the AER fork, which may be harder for you to find. The big advantage the KTM has over all its competitors is weight. It is significantly lighter and it will make you faster and less tired over the long haul.
    lankydoug likes this.
  12. te450dean Husqvarna
    AA Class

yeah the ktm250 is 100kg, TE250 is 104.5kg and the EC250 is 105, i see a 2018 ECX 250 in QLD for 9.5k,
  13. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Spring forks are heavier but IMO worth the weight gain over lighter air forks and lithium batteries save a little weight. I've never really seen the need for e-start on a 2 stroke since they start so easy but I might change my mind in a couple more years when I turn 60. I keep thinking that I should weigh my bike after adding radiator guards, bark busters a tank full of fuel and all the other goodies. There's so many good bikes out now it's a good problem to have to choose one.
  14. bultokid Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '84 250/500 '87 250/430 '18TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bultaco, Fantic
    If possible get a '17+ Husky/KTM. I came off an RMZ450 to a '18 TC250...I'd do it again 10 times out of 10....GREAT bikes, extremely adjustable motor/suspension, the whole package. AER forks get a lot of grief but unless your national level pro they'll be fine. Had 3 GG MC250 and TM 300MX, great bikes but huge downside was had to practically give them away when sold them
  15. te450dean Husqvarna
    AA Class

yeah thanks again.

what year models had the air forks, i think everyone is going back to spring, although i love my rockshock air forks on my MTB, haha
  16. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    if you get a 250/300 2t get the 17 or newer with the new engine it's miles above the older one. I rode and raced a 2014 TE300 and now ride and race a 17 TX300. AER 48 forks are exceptional if you set them up as designed by WP.
    te450dean and lankydoug like this.
  17. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Newer husky vs newer gas gas...easy..husky lighter...husky less vibration..(17 and up)..husky lower seat height...ive rode my old 15 woods tc 250 back to back with a 17 up woods tc 250..clutch pull way easier 17 then the 15...vibration way less and ergos feel more modern and nicer on the 17 and up...ive looked at the new gassers..and really like them..i have been told by a trusty dealer that if I were to switch to a g asser after having had the counterbalanced husqvarna s..that I might consider (c ant remember what he called it) a expensive piece to cut down on the vibration...ive heard the kyb stuff on the gas gas is good..ive had both the explorer fork and revalved tc 250 aer air forks and for me I prefer the air fork...versatility is second to none and you can add or take air out for conditions from gnarly rocky single track to whoops or moto..call me lack if maintenance but I've went a month without checking air pressure so not really a hassle and a good weight savings to.. I won't dish the new gassers. Quality control looks better then before...in mold graphics even and xc comes set up pretty good with fmf and V force reeds..if going husky..if you can afford it and for resale I would suggest 2017 and up for counterbalencer ..and if possible aer fork. Resale I think would be better..gas gas resale where I live not very good...good luck in your quest!
    te450dean and robertaccio like this.
  18. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    What Fletch said and to reiterate anything I have already said.
    te450dean likes this.
  19. te450dean Husqvarna
    AA Class

yeah i might play the waiting game for a few months, ive seen some 20172018 barley used TE250s come up for under 11k. but ive also seen some 2016 models pop up for under 7K. so im guessing the GGers would be a tad better than the pre2016 huskies, while the new 2017 models would trump both?
  20. ggg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250 14
    Other Motorcycles:
    NONE
    suspension on the 17s is xplor is very soft, the clickers do nothing to help, good for slow rock gardens, push it do jumps hard pack etc you will be spending money to get it to perform and then it wont be as good as Gasser, unless you looking to spend around 1 to 2k, 16 have 4 cs forks worse again but at 7k spend 1 to 2k and you will have coin to get KYB inserts or dal soggio, no revalving of the 4cs will work as good as gasser, remove internals and replace, is best option

16 husky motor have more bottom end power than the 17's, the counterbalance takes away a little power off idle but it smoother, most seems to prefer the 17s.

i would say the 17 husky better than your te450 in suspension department, 14 to 16s the forks nope but overall it would still be a better ride, you will just notice hitting stuff at speed the 4cs are rubbish, soften the clickers it gets worse turn them harder and better on hard hits but then you feel all the soft hits they really are a dog, been thu 2 revales my self, only KYB inserts the third attempt to fix the 4cs made then a great fork so much so i am keeping my te 2014 for longer.
    te450dean likes this.