1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Long Read; New TE 450, FAIL, Warranty? Searched.

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by SoCalHusky, Apr 19, 2011.

1. SoCalHusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

So I've searched the forums already. I purchased the 2010 TE450 3 weeks ago from Moto Forza in Escondido, CA. I did my break-in, and powered up. Bike ran fine for about 50 miles, then got the sel1 sel2 FAIL. Bike seemed to run fine. I decided to go back to restricted to see if maybe the lambda resistor plug was at fault. Still had the code, but within about 5 minutes of riding the code went to just reading FAIL.

I took it into Moto Forza and asked them to check it out for me. I called them the next day to see how things were going, and I spoke to Chris. He said this was because it needed to be powered up, and they would reset codes, and the code would go away once that was done. I told him I had already done the power up, and reversed it to see if it was the lambda plug. He said I had to have the TPS and a couple of other things handled with the laptop to be powered up right, or else it can throw the code.

I said I figured this was a warranty thing, and if he was going to just power it back up for now 90.00, I would do it and bring it back to be re-diagnosed. He said once you power it up the warranty is gone. I told him, Balz told me I had a warranty, and I should power it up before it left Moto Forza for $80.00. He powered it back up at no cost to me.

Next day no call from them, so I call to see how it's going. Said he has to wait for a call from Husky to see what to do, but he thinks it's the dash and I can come pick it up and ride it until they here from Husky. Day 4, I go pick it up, but am told by Balz the owner it wasn't the dash, because they tested another one on it, but it runs good, and we haven't heard from Husky yet. I mentioned the water temp sensor in the beginning, and was told he works on these things 40 hours a week, he doesn't care what the forums say.

Basically, not sure if this is the normal approach to get warranty work done, and if so, why didn't the code tell them the problem? I currently have FAIL on right side of dash that won't go away, yet they say its good to ride. I also called them today, and left another message, but they didn't return the call. Would they here from Husqvarna within this amount of time? 6 business days since the attempted diagnosis. Am I being impatient, and should I chill, or keep trying to see where things are at. Also never got an owners manual or any warranty info from them.

Thanks,
    SoCalHusky
  2. TonyWilliams Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC-511, TE-510
    HEAR

The manual should be on a USB stick.

None of these guys at any shop really want to hear what you learned on an internet forum. Let them do their job, but expect a charge. They should have told you about the lack or warranty to Power Up. We also bought our bike from the same shop, and had the PU done before delivery. No mention of any loss of warranty then, either.
    henson802 likes this.
  3. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    I agree with tony-

Just let them do what they are doing- don't get upset or impatient.

I agree with what your mechanic has said so far. I totally respect him for saying "I don't care what a forum says I do this 40 hours per week" especially when referred to an irrelavant issue to the problem like the temp sensor. I'd dismiss the advice just the same and I'm a "forum dude". Essentially, it shows they have confidence. I'd be more concerned if they said "what else does the forum say" cause that would show they don't have any better ideas. Just let them work it out and resolve it- so far they seem to be working with you.

I realize your chomping at the bit to ride- SPRING and all, I rode last weekend without snow- yesterday it snowed again and we have at least 4-6 inches that stayed... WTF? Its almost May for crying out loud, but that's Wisconsin for you...
  4. andyman Husqvarna
    AA Class

I don't work on them 40 hours a week, but I'm not a moron... It chaps me when I am in the position of being a customer and get treated like crap. If he made the statement: "was told he works on these things 40 hours a week, he doesn't care what the forums say." to me, I would have lost my cool right there in the shop.

I respectfully disagree with the two posts that precede mine. Personally, I believe you are being given "the run around". Do you have anything in writing about the PU not voiding warranty?

I feel for you brother. I've bought my first and last Husky. I love the bike, but the dealer network sucks. I had a question about a possible warranty issue and couldn't get my dealer to return my msg's.
    K.Forte' likes this.
  5. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Hall's has always been very helpful and quick to reply to me. I'm 450 miles away from them and correspond with them almost 100% via email. FWIW
  6. DG Harv Serv Husqvarna
    AA Class

Checked the "Anti Tilt" Sensor resistor ? Its in the Airbox and looks like a larger version of the O2 Sensor resistor that you fit when removing Lamba Sensor .
    Happened to my 2010 TE450 . Fail on Dash all time but bike seemed to run fine .
    HUSKYnXJnWI likes this.
  7. andyman Husqvarna
    AA Class

I Agree with you there. Hall's has been FANTASTIC. Sadly, I got my bike somewhere else... so I've only dealt with them for parts.
  8. SoCalHusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Appreciate all the comments, when I got the comment about the 40hrs per week/forums comment, I had not mentioned getting any information from a forum. I just said I've heard, and read about certain issues. I to feel I'm getting the run around, but I'm not sure. I think a shop should be able to get some kind of diagnostic code, or at least a call from Husqvarna as to where to go from here. Again, I don't know.

I was told by the owner of the shop, that it needed to be powered up to run right, and in the same moment we discussed the warranty. Also at a later date, I went in to get an oil filter, and he had the older filter for earlier models, and I said it wasn't the correct part number. He said it works fine, which he followed up with a question about the power up, and I let him know I had did the PU, which I followed up with if something gets damaged from running the wrong oil filter will it affect my warranty. He said, no if something happens, it would be covered under the warranty. Nothing on paper though.

I'm not trying to bash this place at all, I actually liked my experience, other than a couple of comments by the parts/tech guy, and the time it's taking for them to let me know anything. Balz has been nice so far, and honest about it not being the dash, which I was told by the tech it was the dash. I'm just not sure the 'nice guy' thing is legitimate or the run around. I don't have an issue paying certain fees, when its not a manufacturers defect, not mine. I paid money for something that should work correctly, and not have to pay an additional cost for those errors, that was not the original agreement. I will look at the Anti-tilt sensor.

Thanks again,
    SoCalHusky
  9. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    If they hooked it up to Ibeat- that would tell them a what the failure is normally- I assume since it did not give them a code- the tech thought it must have been the dash. When they confirmed it is not the dash- I think they began scratching their heads and were looking to Husqvarna for direction. Considering the bike is running as it should eliminates a lot of possibilities as well. I thought they were working with you so I didn’t go into it from a negative standpoint- and felt confident that they are trying to help and not leave you with questioning miscommunication about the warranty- seemed they were working with you even though you powered it up. I thought- good for them. that's why I suggested continuing to work with them in hopes it would get worked out. These kinds of issues can be hard to find sometimes- especially when you are new to the bike.

I wasn’t going to mention any “forum advice’ since they are working with you but, DJ Harv is on to something with the Tilt sensor Resistor. The Tilt sensor is only on SM’s, but the TEs have resisters in place of where the SM’s have tilt sensors or “fall sensors”. If you tip an SM over- or install the sensor on its side- the bike will not run like normal- it starts and then dies in 2.5 seconds~. If you disconnect the Tilt sensor OR disconnect the Resistor (on a TE) You get a Fail code- which does not affect the bike from running correctly to my understanding and memory on the subject. SO I do agree that is something to look at: The resistor on the TE is tucked under the right side panel by the 3 mini resistors. Yes that is something that may not 'throw' a code to the ECU to Ibeat but still have a FAIL on the Dash. Ibeat shows "stored fails" and they all don't get stored. I agree, I think that's it... might be loose or something.

Good luck- :thumbsup:
  10. SoCalHusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Okay, I stopped in at Moto Forza today, to let them know what my frustration has been, and see where things are at. It appears that they are frustrated with me as well, even though they didn't say they were. I talked with Chris, and he said they haven't heard back from them, and they will fix the problem. They have been swamped with bikes, but would put in another call tomorrow to Husky. All will be covered by warranty when husky gives them the direction to go.

I think you were leading me in the correct direction HuskynXJnWI. I told them I'll leave the matter alone, and wait to hear from them, and sorry for being a pain. I'm very excited to get this thing out, and i'm sure they understood that part as well, so thanks for their patience as well. I'll update the thread when something new develops. On to the Tilt Sensor for now.

Cheers!
  11. SoCalHusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Looks like it's the Tilt Sensor. I was messing with the resistor plug, and Fail went away. Rode it a bit, and SEL2 FAIL came up once while accelerating, then went away and hasn't come back. Sweet!!! crossing fingers.
  12. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    160 or so views but no one will come out and say anything about whether six business days to hear from the distributor network about an issue is normal.

Oh well up to 330 or so views. Do you think there is a troubleshooting section at all dealers perhaps on a usb stick? Or seminars the dealership could send their mechanics (or techs as they seem to get called) to which would make diagnosing this kind of to be expected? There is a phone nuber on this site, I called it and they answered on the first ring but it is for after the sale issues not what I had in mind. Look in the husky corporation specific section.
  13. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    great! If It doesn't say FAIL continuously the dash is just cycling through- My dash died within 6 months while riding it for 4 straight days in rain. So I don't have one anymore So I am going from memory from nearly 2 years ago. I have the Trailtech Vector as a replacement. But I remember mine cycling like that at times. SEL1 and Sel2 are the 2 ignition maps that at in the ECU- Se1 1 is standard, Sel2 is the Wet map- and can be switched back and forth with the 'dual mode' switch- another topic. Keep riding I bet it will stay good- maybe the resistor was not seated properly originaly and just came loose.

I'd call your dealer tomorrow and tel them your findings.

RIDE RIDE RIDE[IMG]
  14. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    It's funny that the dealership doesn't care what the forums say, but when SoCalHusky calls to let them know what the issue is, they (the dealership) will have learned something from the forums. :)

I don't doubt they would have diagnosed it, eventually, but sometimes you need to be a bit more open to suggestions, especially when you are left scratching your head.

Glad to hear that the issue appears to be solved!
  15. MorrisBetter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1200GS
    After thirty plus rears of working in the computer business, I can say without hesitation that nobody can afford ignore any source of reliable trouble-shooting information. Nobody has all the answers. Having access to the mass-mind of on-line forums is invaluable. There are some very talented and knowledgeable people here. Anybody that can't get past their pride, and take advantage of the resource is not doing anybody any favors. Hats off to the people here that take their time to help others.
  16. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I even bought my bike from them and had it shipped to me with 100% email correspondence, except for a quick phone call to give them my credit card information.

Now they have my card on file, and a simple email gets me parts on the way ASAP.
  17. hotducati Husqvarna
    B Class

what a pos the dash is on this bike. Mine clouded up the first time i took it in the rain. what a joke. but hey, who needs it anyways. As for service.....i do my own work. Thank God, i would not wanna go through the time waiting at the dealer for them to replace every part on the bike until its fixed.
  18. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    Glad to read you found the cause of the fail. With out your dealers help even, but with advice from a forum. What a bunch of fat headed-ness the guy has that said to you he works on these bikes 40 hours a week and he doesnt care what the forums say. I think he should pull that fat head out of his ... and realize that there are other Dealers that do contribute to the forums, not just owners that are only qualified to ride the bikes. Just my opinion, dont judge me, I am happy with my dealer.
  19. 510te Husqvarna
    AA Class

my bike was powered up before i wheeled it out of the shop and i have had warranty work done on it including a near rebuilt engine... i would be going back to the dealer and asking to talk to the mechanic who fobed you off with his forum comments and politly rubbing it in!
  20. SoCalHusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

The tip position sensor might not be the problem. Fail has returned to the dash again, permenently.

Before when I was messing with the sensor, I had the gas tank slightly moved to the side. When the code returned I messed with the tip sensor again, but didn't have a positive result. So I left the key in the on position, and began to remove the gas tank, and by slightly moving it, the fail went away, but comes back while riding. This is repeatable too, just pulling up on the tank even while tightened down will remove the code...?