Lectron carb tuning guide

Discussion in 'Motosportz' started by Motosportz, Apr 15, 2013.

1. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    :thumbsup: Thanks for that! Now I don't wanna' look :rolleyes: I had Lectron on the phone recently, Dave?, and mentioned the seepage and the gasket and he said they don't recommend that anymore, call back if it gets worse. I still see just a little dirt covered stain. I use a garden hose too, but don't spray directly at the carb or intake. Someone else, Kelly?, posted a pic of water in the bowl and said the bike still ran fine.

Oh well, mine's prepped and gonna' go twist 'er neck for a couple of hours :banana:
    shawbagga likes this.
  2. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    when water started getting in i was concerned about dirt as well. or maybe even fuel delivery issues. just not something i wanted to deal with. the 360 runs awesome with the lectron, i did not want anything interfering. i also thought it was a bit unacceptable to have this happen on a fairly new install. the new bowl has been on there for months now and looks great.
    NCSteve likes this.
  3. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Humm not much in it, i will just keep an eye out on it and make a flat gasket if it causes sleep loss.
  4. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    mine do the same on both bowls. bow a bit & have dirt covered stains after riding so obviously some fuel escaping. both have the gasket installed. yeh i too was a tad disappointed that it happened so quickly after install. thought it may be something to do with our fuel but guess not. havnt noticed any dirt or water get in but concerns me somewhat. dont really fancy spending more on the carbs though. did lectron send them out for free or you have to buy them justintendo?
    NCSteve likes this.
  5. Wheelie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 wr 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    couple honda vtr's
    mine starts pretty easy, mostly 1-2 kicks.
    I went for a real ride yesterday (2+ hours of gnarly singletrack in a cold rain), found out the rod was too lean. I guess my field bombing method of tuning wasn't really the best. saw some good improvement, I will have to go for another good ride and do some more fiddling, I was on a schedule yesterday and didn't want to be stopping and messing with the carb in the rain. hopefully I can continue to dial it in, definitely the easiest carb to adjust ive seen!
    Motosportz and NCSteve like this.
  6. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Ok, had a look after riding and sure enough, at least 1 side of the bowl is warped and I can squeeze a little fuel out of it :mad:Gonna call Lectron and see what they say. Mine's only a few months old, so shouldn't have to pay for a new bowl. I've talked to them twice and they've been really helpful and friendly, so expecting more of the same.
    more later

p.s. I still agree with above comments, easiest carb ever (love it), helps to transform these big bores from wild, raging beasts into more controllable and usable raging beasts :)
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The bowl issues seems very hit and miss. I have 5 Lectrons on shop bikes here. 2 gather dust around the seam but don't really leak, the others are fine. They redid the o-ring on the bowl a while back. They also had some gaskets but I guess they dont recommend those any more although they did work on an older LEctron for me. Lectron is great, call them and they will take care of you.

As for water in the bowl, I live in a rainy climate and deal with it a lot on all carbs. Only had one older Lectron do this and the water seems to not effect the performance at all which is great because when you get water in a jetted carb it will hardly start / run. With a Lectron the fuel is pulled from the very top of the bowl and the water sits at the bottom. Zero running issues unlike a pilot jet sitting low and sucking water in. I simply put some fuel conditioner that remove water and it was almost instantly gone. Just some info to pass along.
    shawbagga and NCSteve like this.
  8. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i remember lectron paid for half of my new bowl, since it had been about half a year. the bowl is pretty cheap
    shawbagga likes this.
  9. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    I talked to David at Lectron this afternoon, he offered me a new bowl or a new oring and rubber gasket. He said the new bowl is the same as the old bowl, so I got the oring and gasket and a spacer for metal PJ bowl thing.
    There were quite a few little dirt clods in the bottom of the bowl. Cleaned it all up and had a quick ride before dinner :thumbsup:
  10. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    ill check my 2 out when i get home from work next tues then send kevin or david an email & see what they say. dont think a new oring & gasket will do anything as the bowl has actually sagged by the look of em. never taken bowl off(thats a good sign for a carb;)) to see if any dirt or water in there!
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Should be able to see it in the clear bowl if in there. That sag might be nothing, is is seeping?
  12. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    no, they had a batch of defective bowls i was told by lectron.. as you can plainly see, mine was badly distorted. my new bowl has been on there for a few months and looks perfect...
    not knocking lectron, i will buy another. great product that had a bad part. they acknowledged to me that there was an issue with the bowls, so i got a new one that wasnt defective. i had no running issues the whole time, even tho i would get more than a few drops of water laying in my bowl every time i washed bike. it just digested it.
    Motosportz likes this.
  13. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    kevin had told me there was a new run of bowls that corrected sag. this one has probably been on longer than the original and its flat still. yes, the bowls are the "same" IMG_3565.JPG
  14. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    :thinking: hmmm...well just have to wait and see. The carb is great and obviously Lectron stands behind 'em, so no serious problem to me.
    I leave for 3 months of work soon and just planning a few more rides, then service and stash the bikes. Don't know if I'll have time for carb repairs/mods.
  15. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    i havnt really looked that close TBH Kelly but ill have a look. i noticed the sag a while ago but sort of ignored it a bit as ignorance is bliss to me sometimes:p. they both have the black gasket between bowl & carb. after riding i noticed the wet look covered in dust of seeping 2T around/over the bowl. especially the past couple of months as i have been doing a lot of sand riding so bike stays pretty clean other than some dust. no issues at all running wise(sweet!) but the bowls have a 1mm+ sag in the middle on both sides. one is a new shorty type & the other an older version(2 years maybe) i had shortened that they may have replaced the bowl on im not sure(they sort of refurbed it for free which was pretty awesome when i sent it back for shortening). the clear bowl is pretty cool but id be just as happy with an ally one as you know it wouldnt warp. hopefully i can get a couple of new type ones thatll sort it
  16. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    yeh mine are a fair way from looking like that justin! sounds like they have it sorted. might email Kevin tonight
  17. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    when i got mine i ordered a few other things, like different throttle springs to try, extra bowl gaskets, and i already had a metering rod tool. the tool is a nice piece to have! i also ordered some stickers, they have both the little carb body ones and bigger ones available.:thumbsup:
  18. Wheelie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 wr 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    couple honda vtr's
    just to follow up, with a little more tuning/riding im very happy with the setup, still doesn't hold an idle quite how id like (~45 seconds it will start idling down and stall out) but everything else is so nice im not going to worry about it, runs very well, easy to start, all the good stuff.
  19. retromlc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 250i 2018
    Other Motorcycles:
    Beta Evo 250 4/
    Can I get some advise abut what I'm experiencing.
    location U.K
    bike Beta 300RR racing edition 2014
    lectron 36 with 2-3 xl metering rod

first off I bought this carb as i can never really diagnose jet setting and the lectron is supposed to be factory tuned and ready to go.
    So i fit the Lectron and it fires up and I adjust the idle and all seems good,I took it out for about 15 minutes and the bike seemed to run okay not awesome like I was hoping,but simular to my standard carb as i always think my jetting isn't that clean.
    i went racing on it 2 days later
    about 20 minutes in the bike starts to carburate fluffy and i have a rekluse fitted and it was hunting on slow downhill decents as the rekluse disengaged.
    then while running on 1/4 to 1/2 throttle the bike just dies and won't start,about a minute later if starts but dies when I touch the throttle,a minute later it is running again,will rev and off I go,it's still hunting.
    during the break we richen the rod 1/4 turn, it doesn't die in the next hour race but still hunts.
    so last night ,with the same settings i put a new plug in and a short 15 minute test route and return, the bike isn't running that well above 1/2 throttle and the plug is white.
    after 3 more test i end up 1.5 turns richer than when I got the "factory set" carb. and turned up the idle as it wouldn't idle.I take it out and it does feel very good,so I decide to really ride the bike hard on a longer test route that has a bit of everything,wood slow riding to wide flat out,All good,I'm very happy,when out of nowhere the bike just dies on me,as if someone had pressed the kill switch,exactly the same symptoms as when the bike first died in the race,I coax it back to life and it's running fie again so I nurse it home.
    i have emailed Lectron twice over the last 36 hours and zero response.
    any ideas.I have not adjusted the power jet.
    This bike ran faultlessly prior to fitting the Lectron and I use that test route all the time as it's a god way to check on whether I have made gains or not with adjustments I make to the bike to all aspects of the bike.
  20. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Thats hard as i only richend the carb up 1/4 for my 360.
    Remember the Factory set carb was setup in usa.
    What octane fuel are you using?
    Sounds like your headding in the right direction with richer.
    When your bike just died was the float bowl empty?
    I had to remove my inline filter to allow more draw to the carb.
    Just an idea.
    Good luck