King City CA

Discussion in 'West - USA' started by oregonsage, Jan 4, 2012.

1. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    If I were to be trapped in King City, CA in late March......where might I go riding?
  2. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    I had to spend a day in King City about 20 years ago. It's a bit more lively now, but the first place we stopped to kill time was the stationery store. That should give you an idea of how exciting the town is. There is, however, a nice selection of good Mexican restaurants on Broadway St.

There's very little dual sporting in the area. King City is a little less than 2 hours south from where I live.

You can take Gloria Rd to La Gloria which will take you from Gonzales to Highway 25 just north of Pinnacles National Monument. Highway 25 is a popular street ride - some nice twisties and some long straights to test that top speed. Gloria/La Gloria is an easy dirt ride, although it often is quite silty and is unpassable when wet. It's 15-20 miles.

Just outside of Hollister is Hollister Hills State Vehicular Recreational Area, an OHV park. It's about 90 minutes north east from King City. I've been going there almost every weekend lately and clocking some time on my TE310. It's got enough trails for you to ride all day and not do them all. At my pace... two days. :o

To the east of 25 off Coalinga Rd you can ride some county roads in Clear Creek Management Area but all the trails are closed because the BLM has it's head where the sun doesn't shine when it comes to science. We've been fighting the closure for four years. Roughly 70,000 acres of prime riding... The county roads that are open comprise a loop of about 35 miles.

About an hour to the west, at the top of the ride of the Los Padres range, after traversing through Fort Hunter Ligget, you can ride a few forest service roads... South Coast Ridge Road, Los Burros and Plaskett Ridge are the primaries. There are some offshoots. Taking anything that goes east from the ridge line will likely venture into Fort Hunter Liggett and that's a very bad idea.

The only place I've mentioned with any difficult riding is Hollister Hills. The Los Padres range on the coast can provide a heck of a view on a clear day, though.

Pozo/La Panza is about 2 hours south, just east of Paso Robles about 25 miles.

If you want to travel further, there's more stuff - it's about 5 hours from some good desert riding near Ridgecrest. Jawbone Canyon, Spangler Hills, Randsburg... Those are all fairly close together. They're just east over the mountain range from Death Valley... and across the valley a ways.
  3. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Wow, thorough response. If I end up at the family gathering it sounds like I can spend some Husky TXC time at Hollister Hills and some Buell time on PCH and a little TE250 time exploring the fire roads. :thumbsup:
  4. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    PM me when you're down here and maybe we can ride together. I suck in the dirt, but I hold my own pretty well on pavement.
  5. 510 SM SC Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am game, plan to ride Hollister this weekend.
  6. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    If I can beat this cold I'll be out at Hollister... probably on Sunday at this rate.
  7. 510 SM SC Husqvarna
    AA Class

I plan to be at Hollister tomorrow. I try to park around the TT track/Hill climb/SX track. White Tacoma/
    2011 TE/TXC 250. IMGP0003.JPG
  8. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Were you out in the Renz on the 30th? (friday). We stopped somewhere in there and I spotted a white and red on a trail above us, but that group didn't head down our way. I was out on my '11 TE310 enjoying my first sojourn in the Renz.

I probably won't head to Hollister tomorrow. I'm doing better than I was yesterday, but I'm still pretty sick.
  9. 510 SM SC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Not me, I did the Ridge Runners D/S poker run on New Years Day. Big fun ridding the SC mountians
    and some awsome single track on 60 acres of privet property.

The Renz rocks, plan to rip it up tommorrow, the bike is running great!

Get Well, Lets ride sometime???

# 510

Rob
  10. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sweet, there's even more local husky riders. I try to say hi to them when I can. You know... just to let em know they're not alone... :)
  11. Farmer John Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    92 WR250, 01 KTM 400MXC
    Did you do the small trail after the Ridgerunners?
  12. Farmer John Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    92 WR250, 01 KTM 400MXC
    That might have been me. I rode Hollister on that Friday..
  13. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I was there with EricB, Andrew, and a few others, too bad I didn't latch up with ya...

BTW, can we derail this thread any more than we already have? :D
  14. Farmer John Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    92 WR250, 01 KTM 400MXC
    I'm sure we could, but getting it back on track.

There is a family enduro at Hollister on March 11th...
  15. 510 SM SC Husqvarna
    AA Class

The Windmill Maze is a favorite to me, I was one of the first to ride it.

Great Ride today. IMGP0002.JPG the 250 was ripping.

16. 510 SM SC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Which one ???
  17. Farmer John Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    92 WR250, 01 KTM 400MXC
    Just down Summit from the Ridgerunners / Russle Ridge gate.
  18. 510 SM SC Husqvarna
    AA Class

I went back out the way I came... missed it ? is that the loop that I marked with the black arrow??? IMGP0004.JPG
  19. Farmer John Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    92 WR250, 01 KTM 400MXC
    yep, my property
  20. 510 SM SC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Please Invite me back ???