1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Kickstart Procedure

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by kjclark7, Sep 24, 2011.

1. kjclark7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE510
    so i've got a 08 te510 which is my first dirtbike and first bike with a kickstart. since i've never kick started a bike before, i want to make sure i am doing it right. i tried doing it the other day but could not get the bike started. the bike has a very functional electric start but i want to know how to do it just in case the electric craps out on me. so can somone tell me step by step on how to kickstart the bike cold and when hot? don't leave any steps out, even it they may seem obvious. thanks in advance!
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    If you have a compression release, you just push the kick lever till you hit TDC copression. The kick lever won't move any further at this point. Let the kick lever return to the top of it's stroke. Then pull the compression lever in and the kick lever will be able to move. Push down on it with your foot. As soon as the kick lever starts downward, let go of the compression lever. The kick lever should go down about a third to half way through the stroke. Let the kick lever return to the top of it's stroke. Now give it a good sharp kick. This pretty much always results in the engine firing right up. Giving the engine throttle can cause a kickback. It's seems to be about the same hot or cold, just using the choke when the engine is cold. My 450 is an 07 model, so it has a carburetor and a hot start button for when the engine is warmed up. I'm not sure what the fuel injected models have. I know that if you have a dead or very weak battery on that year fuel injected model, you won't be able to get it kick started.
  3. kjclark7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE510
    yes my bike does have the compression lever up near the clutch lever. i'll give that a try the next time i take the bike out. if it doesn't start on the first kick, do i just kick again or go through the whole procedure?
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Always go through that procedure. You have to get it past TDC each time for the kick. It sounds like a lot, but it takes just a few seconds each time.
  5. kjclark7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE510
    thanks. i do appreciate the info and will try it.....maybe tomorrow!