1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Kickstart assembly 1978 390

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Brian390, Mar 10, 2022.

1. Brian390 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1978 390CR
    When I got the bike last year the seal was leaking badly, and after a few outings with it the spring popped loose and the lever wouldn't return. So after replacing the seal and reinstalling the spring, if you go by the manual it shows the pawl holding the driving wheel at the right, or start of the beveled edge. However that means a lot of movement before the the wheel actually engages the engine. Mine was set up like this, with the pawl on the left edge of the bezel, which starts the engagement process much sooner in the throw.
    My question is the way I have it correct, or is there a method of moving the kickstart lever to a different spot on the splines that would make this all work correctly?
    Hoping I explained that correctly, including a pic of my set up.

Thanks,

Brian

001 (2).JPG
    Baddaddeo likes this.
  2. Rojotes390CR Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1979 390 CR
    Hey Brian, I got my bike last summer. Broke the return spring and purchased replacement spring and seals. It popped out like 4 more times on me. I was getting super frustrated with it. Larry Stahl recommended I try flipping the spring. There needs to be a little bit of angle as it goes into drive disc. So far I have started it 7-8 times no issue. Yes, the picture you have is same as my setup. The manual shows it on opposite side which does not work. You want the engagement to start as far up in the stroke as possible. Hope this helps.
    Baddaddeo likes this.
  3. Rojotes390CR Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1979 390 CR
    Yes, you will need to remove the kick start lever off the splines in order to set up the spring/drive disc/paw. Once that is done place the gear on the shaft and make sure it spins freely. Then place kick start on the splines where it is right against the rubber bump stop. Crank the level down and it should slide over and engage the gear. Takes a little trial and error to get it just right. fyi.
  4. Rojotes390CR Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1979 390 CR
    Hey, you may want to join a couple FB groups as this site is dead. Vintage Husqvarna motorcycles and Friends of Husqvarna motorcycles have pretty good traffic and helpful people. fyi.
    Brian390 likes this.
  5. Brian390 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1978 390CR
    Thanks for the tip, I set it up like the manual said and was not happy with it, and I held off adding oil in case someone had a better idea. I threw the question out on a couple FB groups but got no response there. I'll try your method, did you install the spring so the long end goes into the case per the manual, or the other way around. Thanks so much for the advice!

Brian
  6. Rojotes390CR Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1979 390 CR
    I flipped it short end in case and long end in drive disc. Put a little bit of angle on long end with 2 pairs of pliers. Needs to really stick in there and not slide easily back out of hole. Have started it a dozen times now no problem. Yeah the higher bevelled edge needs to be on left side right under paw. When you crank down it should fall off raised area which pushes gear over. In top position that drive gear has to spin freely. As you kick down it engages it.