1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

kick back major damage

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by jo360, Feb 16, 2015.

1. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    started the 430 last week it gave a bit of a kick back but fired up,I didn't think too much of it at the time and rode the bike up the driveway until I saw oil all over my boot, so turned off the bike and dismounted, well the kick back caused idler gear to throw out and break the left side case shooting oil all over my christmas present (boots).
    Back in the shed i ripped the clutch cover off and discovered the idler had worn the back of the clutch ring gear small gear away (idler running at an angle due to cracked case).so rebuild number two is in order but this time i will be increasing squish band and retarding the ignition also going to be push starting where possible.anyone selling a 77-21 tooth ring gear let me know.
    funny how the body works at the time my foot was fine but a week later iam getting stabbing pains through the base of my foot soon to be replaced with stabbing pains in my wallet.
  2. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    decompressor in the barrel is the way to go . just use a chainsaw pop off . get a new one thats not worn out tho .
    works a treat on my 500. couple priming kicks . push button . find tdc . kick starter will go all the way through and bike fires right up .
    the 430 that is local to me was never able to be kickstarted . was always left at the top of a hill . even if said hill wasnt in the same paddock as the track haha
    what is your timing set at ?
  3. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    DAMN THAT SUCKS IM GETTIN MY BACK KICKIN DEAL FIXED ASAP
  4. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    already got the decomp but i think my minimum squish and too much advance on the ignition contributed to the problem also the head has been ported so i believe i will be retarding the ignition some what to make sure this doesn't happen again, timing was set at about 2.2mm my squish was about 1.2mm using the solder method but due to the leverage acting on the large piston was probably in reality around .9mm , have read that modified cylinders require less advance anyhow its summer so less than ideal riding weather.Iam only summising that the kick back caused the problem and not a sloppy idler or kick start gear.
  5. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    That can occur with gears in pretty decent shape. I had one break on an engine I put together that someone for some reason had removed the two 6mm bolts on that intermediate shaft (not there on the earliest ones) and I neglected to install some. My cylinder and head are stock, this is a good reason to go to a modern ignition that retards at kicking speeds. Regardless of whether it has an advance curve. I don't know which aftermarket stuff does this. Such smart coils are pretty much standard on many chainsaws now. I may have some shoulder or elbow damage from single cylinder flat head gasoline engines kicking back. I work in degrees not distance of piston but I think it took 12 or so degrees before top center to almost eliminate the kicking back on an 1988 430. You should have heard it crack, I sure knew a new sound.
  6. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Number easy way to stop kickback is install a Electrex ignition. Has the timing retarded at start up and no kickback like the motoplats

Another engine builder is convinced that the motoplats really is one of the biggest culprits in cracking our husky cases!
  7. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    where do you get a Electrex?
  8. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i must have some kind of mystery formula going on to not have my motoplats kick at me..the only time they kick is when the timing or jetting is off...for me...my 250s i run close to book spec but bigger stuff i retard some..
  9. watto450 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1965 250, 1978 390 Auto, 1983 510 TX
    I had a brand new 430 in 1981.. it kicked back the first time I tried to start it.. broke the cases... timimg was too close .. the factory replaced the cases.. I understand that all the kick-back probs are from timing issues..
  10. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    i intend to push start it once everything is back together and then use a strobe light to confirm the timing which i will set around 10 degrees.
  11. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    so do guy think i should shit can the moto plate and get a electrex im thinking a rewind on my plate will run me 200-250 and i don't know that will fix it I DO HAVE GOOD STRONG SPARK] i think a electrex or mzb will run about 500 am i right i dont need any back kicking and i want ez starting and a good lighting out put i'v never done an ignition swap before:excuseme: HELP
  12. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    oh dang now im gettin my threads mixed up was thinkin this was the one i started:banghead:
  13. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    classic, some info on motoplat testing on ktm495 site.
  14. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I don't kick I roll it down a hill and pop it in second gear. Once my son fires it up and she's all adjusted. I purchased extra cases. I'm installing the compression releases in everything from 250's, 420's & 430's as I build them. My son has a rod in his leg from a MX crash. I smacked a 3" tree, broke his lower leg inside the boot and rode the course trying to shake it off three more times. He pulled up to me and goes I think I broke my leg. The ER Doctor and male nurse both ride dirt bikes what a ribbing the kid got. He's like John Penton the pain nerve isn't connected to his brain. The boot had the plate plus the long shin guard he had on. The bones never broke through the skin. The local kids cut the tree and brought it to the ER as evidence. So he shouldn't be kicking.

I'm torn between a new husqvarna TE300 electric start and a Honda XL650L. I like the dual sport but if the TE300 is street legal. I still will keep the left kickers. It's a four stroke that will run forever or a wild ride 2T. I could do both. This is my last go around.

My other son has monster sized legs from body building he can kick like a mule. He starts my 250 like it's an 80.
  15. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    I have never had any bike with a Motoplat kick back, ever. I've never had a bike with any electronic ignition kick back, only points ignitions.
    justintendo likes this.
  16. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    You cant kick these lightly. You bring it up to tdc then lay into it with a hard snappy kick.

I'm staying with what ignition I have for now, but we do have options with different ignition brands now. We only had the pvl before. I think a compression release is the way to go. I installed the Suzuki compression release on my '86/400wxe. I could start it at that time.
  17. Drew Edwards Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Txc250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1982 KZ550
    Had a wicked Kickback the other day while riding the woods. My TXC250 proceed to piss all of its oil out and so I killed the engine and returned it to the trailer. Today I'll be pulling the bike apart and documenting everything. From the look of things the worm drive type case (attaches starter to case) looks to be the only thing broke. Is that a possibiltiy?
  18. Drew Edwards Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Txc250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1982 KZ550
    Attached is a picture of the blown starter. Where's the best place to buy starter, and all the extra goodies that I need to get the bike rolling again?

Attached Files:

19. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    may have to ask in the italian section under the four stroke banner, more will be familiar with your bike there..
  20. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Can parts be found for the Italian husqvarnas?