Kent Equilibrium Tire Review

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by hawaii-rider, Oct 27, 2015.

1. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    I agree on the deep mud performance but it will get you through good enough and the fact it excels most everywhere else, I'm fine with it.
  2. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Just an update.
    Yes I know this isn't a review of the tire listed under the "title" of this thread which is listed as the "Kent Equilibrium tire review". To get back to that thread I had a bit of trouble finding it because of that. But here I am and we were comparing tires on this thread. So here's a few more words about the "Sedona 907" I'm currently running on the FE501. In the 120/90/18 size with the Tubliss system.

The "Sedona 907" tire has been holding up very well here in the AZ high desert. Currently running it the last few rides at 4 1/2 lbs. It has 4 or 5 more rides on it now and over 240 miles of wet and dry riding down in the ditches and ravines through the river rocks. Some really steep jagged "Mule Mountain" rocks last weekend in some hairy climbs and descents, 2 rides out after the rains in the mud and some sketchy ground up slag used as Gravel cover on some of the higher speed fire roads. Not so good in the really deep coarse sand washes of the river beds though but still very able to keep up or ahead of my Buddys with tires better suited to that environment. Once out of those soft sandy washes though and up in the rocks and the hard pack they are eating my roost.

I'd say its holding up very well. I've raised and I've lowered the pressure up and down a few times with the Tubliss system as low as 3 lbs and no more than 6 lbs. This tire is on par with any Tire I have used in the past regardless of price and then some here in AZ. although the tread pattern is crazy looking. Its taken anything I have thrown at it so far and is a damned good value.

My Buddy just got a 520 Shinko for his new WR450 and we will be reviewing it soon. I've got to get him over to my place to use my tire stand. We rode some 75 miles yesterday and his stock tire is now shot.

Here's a few pictures of the "Sedona 907" the amount of wear so far. Also a picture of it next to a brand new spare ready to go on when this one is done. I'm thinking I may very well get a lot more than 30 hours out of one of these.

So far it's looking really good. Very predictable traction, steers well with the rear wheel into and out of slides after backing it into turns, with my feet up. As you can now see the "chicken strips" on the side knobs are all now gone. That were still there in the first few photos of this tire back a few posts earlier. This thing really throws down some Traction like crazy on climbs with the front wheel aloft. I like it.

SAM_1415.JPG SAM_1416.JPG SAM_1417.JPG
    bikesparky likes this.
  3. bikesparky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Superduke 1290
    Good review! Funnily the importer here in Oz doesn't have them in their range and is not interested!?!? Several people rang them with inquiries but it seems they don't want the extra sales. One of the shops imported a pallet from Slavens but they sold out on forehand.

Still running the Motoz mountain hybrid at the moment and after some running in it started to grip really well. it needs low 5-ish PSI to work well and some time to wear in the sidewall. It started to grip well during the ride and when I was riding down a steep hill and closed the throttle it almost trew me over the bars. Wasn't prepared for that! Traction forward and during braking is really good sideways is less than a normal knobbly and takes also some time to get used to.
    Another thing, if ham fisted and it breaks traction it doesn't hook back up like a knobbly does. If using the correct technique it mounts hills like nothing else.
    No wear to speak of so far but only two 30km rides done.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I rode a buddies bike the other day (TE250) with a Sedona 907 on it (did not know when I hopped on it) and it was one of of the worst tires I ever tried for NW clay and slick stuff. So... it might be very terrain specific. The Mountain Hybrid also does not work well in these conditions.
    bikesparky likes this.
  5. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Kelly, How much pressure did your Buddy have in the Sedona 907 on his TE250 ? Just thought I would ask as it is relevant. This tire likes very, very low pressures.

I put this tire on specifically for the rocky terrain here as it was drying up. then it gets to raining again. It rained yesterday and today but it was nice on Saturday. After I rode it once or twice after mounting it. I dropped it to 3.75 to 4 lbs. pressure and rode it in the fresh rain and mud on like the second ride out a few weeks ago. I thought it would be terrible but it worked very well and was very predictable as it has a stiff side wall and you can run it very low on pressure.

It even scares me a bit to think I can actually run that little air. As I think its going to damage a wheel. I had never ran the Tubliss system before until the last 2 rear tires. That's the part I'm getting used to. Being able to drop it to 3 or 4 lbs. and not put a dent in the rim.

We have zero leaf litter on the ground ever here. Not like the conditions you have up there in Washington State. It never gets snotty or slimy really to speak of. No forest cover or shade anywhere.

I've had it up to the tree line at over 6500ft elevation here too and it did really well. It is kind of a specific terrain tire I agree.

Hard pack rocky stuff it likes, dry loamy silt, with hard pan underneath it finds the hardpan. Firm fine damp or dry sand not bad at all but we get some creek beds with loose dry really coarse sand and it doesn't like it at all. It almost feels like its trying to pull the bike right and left at times in this deep coarse sand and I run a steering stabilizer and a 216AA. I'm talking under power. I know its the tire causing it to do this. But we are only in the sand a few hundred yards at a time and were out again. It will occasionally feel squirmy underneath you.
    My Sedona 887 I had on previously would never do this, in the same river basin. In the same moisture conditions on the identical path. Yet the 907 does everything else better and isn't wearing out near as fast and I'm running half the pressure as I ran the 887 at.

I've been running it at only 4 to 5 lbs. average and it will spin if I want it to but it will hook when I want it too also. It climbs both loose deep soft rock cleared soil hills and solid rock hills embedded with sides of rocks sticking out that are just edges exposed of the rock that's probably the size of a 2 car garage too and just digs like crazy here.

My buddies have stood along side a few of these hill climb trails and watched it go right past them. Up stuff on the back wheel that they couldn't make and have commented from just watching. That it climbs like crazy throwing down super amounts of traction. Hills I went up after they had failed to climb 3/4 of the way up and I was thinking I don't want to be turning my bike around like them and trying to get back on it like they had to, so they could try the same hill again.

A TE 2 stroke coming on the pipe may be a little much for it in your neck of the woods especially this time of the year if its snotty or slimy. I think it's much better suited to tractability conditions by what it offers as a 4 stroke thumper tire.

You run the "Kenda Trackmaster" a lot up there don't you?
  6. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Another tire mentioned here, the Shinko 520 on the left
    shinko-sedona1.jpg
    On the right is the Sedona 880ST. On every site I looked the Shinko 520 is listed as a soft-int tire, but on the Shinko site it's listed as a mid-hard :confused:
    It's directional and rotation is towards the camera. It certainly looks like a mid-hard tire to me. Both of these are 120s, both with stiff sidewalls and both look better in person and seem to be good quality tires. Mounting the Shinko with Tubliss soon.
    :cheers:
  7. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    I'm going to try one of these 907s on my new 300 with a tubliss. I already have a 216AA ready as well. We'll see how she fairs. I ride Loretta Lynn's in the spring and the trails there are really brutal on rear tires with all the hill climbs and loose sharp ass rocks.
    bikesparky likes this.
  8. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    The one on the right looks like my all time favorite 756....
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Just rode my APJ 250 with the Kenda today in the slop after inches of rain. Up nasty sloppy clay and root infested hills. Did really well. Was running 6-7 psi.
    Norman Foley, reveille and NCSteve like this.
  10. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Equilibrium right? I have to ask since this thread is way far off the rails now.
  11. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Yes
    Norman Foley and reveille like this.
  13. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    thats awesome but i dont want an EX model I just want the original.... I'd even take the SX models I use to run.... awesome tire that worked everywhere
  14. Jhunter Husqvarna
    AA Class

I pulled off my MT43 after 2 years and put on the Equilibrium last weekend. Wow, what a great tire. Much improved braking and cornering due to knobby pattern. I've heard mixed reviews on the wear so I'll report back.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The Equilibrium was used quite a bit this last weekend at King of Motos. Most the people I spoke to said it worked well. The Golden Tire GT216 front and rear won the sportsman class. Brutal place for tires out there.
    robertaccio likes this.
  16. ptkatoomer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2020 ktm 300 xc-w, 2020 ktm 500exc
    My equilibrium got a good test this weekend. Lots of loose rocky climbs that had me nervous but the tire hooked up quite well. The only place it wasn't quite as good as a more open knob was the deep sand, but with my tubliss and lower tire pressure, even there it wasn't bad.
  17. CARLFIXIT Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 fe501 on the way
    Other Motorcycles:
    Street Glide KTM XC300
    I just did a race with the new Kenda IBEX. They said it would perform and WOW it did. I am a desert guy and do not ride the mountains often so this tire made rock gardens, river crossings, slick single track a blast I feel like I had traction everywhere. This is a very soft 18 rear and after 3hrs no chunks. They call it "The premier tire for the single-track warrior" It is also the SRT Endurocross Team tire.
  18. tmate Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 te 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta 450 rs,ttr125,crf 230, tw200
    Just a reminder the Equilibrium is now DOT approved!
    NCSteve likes this.