Just 1 Helmet J12 Carbon (Mister X graphic Blue)

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by robertaccio, Oct 30, 2016.

1. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    First ride yesterday with my new lid. Just 1 J 12 Carbon, ECE-R22.05
    Very light weight, well vented, shape works well for me, cheek pads snug , no movement.
    IMHO 5 stars
    They just got a world championship with Tim Gajser and a few AMA stars are using Just 1 helmets as well.
    my only negative , I'm not t big fan of this last years model graphics, seems out dated, I'm having our local connection SignArt Graphix look into designing a helmet wrap based on the new 2017 Hi Vis YEL/BLU, latest fashion graphic.
    Something more like this model
    http://www.just1racing.com/casco_eng.php?id_casco=67

mine is this one J12-MisterX-Carbon-Blue-side.png
    gots_a_sol and Norman Foley like this.
  2. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    IDK, looks pretty awesome to me but it's yours so if you want it changed, go for it! Cost for these lids?
  3. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Nice weight, but no outstanding safety features :confused:
  4. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    ECE spec is good enough for me. One good hit and you toss it.
  5. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    At our age 1 good concussion and they toss us!
    :cheers:
    robertaccio and reveille like this.
  6. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    I'm actually avoiding Snell-rated helmets- at least 'til they get a dirt rating. I'm tired (and worried) about carry an extra pound on my head; or even more.

I want an ECE rating (gotta get 'em overseas tho, right?)
    Dirtdame likes this.
  7. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    It seems ECE rating is pretty common now. I have AGV and Kali helmets and both are ECE R22.05. Interesting bit from the AGV AX-8 specs: The helmet weighs just 1,150 g (+/- 50 g.) 1.100 g (+/- 50 g.) in M size for E2205 homologation and 1,400 g (+/- 50 g.) in M size for E2205/DOT and AS-NZS homologation.

So a gain of 300gr just for DOT rating. It's sort of a simplistic view, but at what point does a helmet become too light to protect?
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  8. rappster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tc449 TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    rmz250
    Lots of places in the US have them plus prices on close outs are dirt cheap
    robertaccio likes this.
  9. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    I'd have to agree that heavier helmets seem to really bother me the day after a ride. Crunchy cracking neck and phantom arm pains...Getting old sucks. Ha
    robertaccio likes this.
  10. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    Old friend former world enduro champ worked at Airoh, told me the why they are so light, the one stand out difference to get a snell rating was one particular test. where they do the drop bullet weight/slug test, for snell it requires 2 hits in the same spot without shell fail. ECE rates same test with 1 hit. Of course there are more qualifications but this is the big one that has Snell helmets with thicker shell (more weight for compliance with the spec). ECE specification lab logic is that what are the odds of taking 2 hard hits in the exact same spot in one incident. ECE and Snell rated helmets are legal ratings for use in all pro AMA (and other jurisdictions) and FIM comp, as far as I know.

And in response to the above I have always maintained my secret weapons to minimize fatigue were my Airoh 1100g helmet (now Just 1 a bit more than 1100) ear plugs, Brux bite mouthpiece and 661 cool collar.
    NCSteve likes this.
  11. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    I always go for the lightest helmet I notice around 50 miles in my neck starts hurting with heavier lids.... I like my UFO a lot.... fly is sending me a pure carbon which I may sell if it's not light enough.. I like the just 1 lids
    robertaccio likes this.
  12. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    No! You put it in your office and you be surprised at number of people that ask you, How did u crack that?
    robertaccio likes this.
  13. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Soumy is the lightest helmet I've worn so far, just over two pounds for the XS size.
    robertaccio likes this.
  14. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    I was under the (old) impression that to legally sell a helmet in the US it had to have either a Snell or DOT rating. ECE alone won't cut it... and the ECE is the ONLY rating I want (well, DIN, BSI or whatever the british thing is). I'm still jones'ing for an Airoh Terminator. And actually, I'm fine with DOT if they could get the weight down to close to 1Kg.

I thought that a helmet that had an ECE rating couldn't make a Snell rating (and vice versa). But Snell automatically means DOT; and a ECE helmet beefed up to meet DOT can still meet ECE. Am I wrong or what?

Any experts in the industry out there that can edjumacate me?

NCSteve- I come at the problem from exactly the opposite point of view: at what point is the weight of the helmet causing more problems than it's solving? IMO it's 3lbs (my current HJC SPX is 3.5lbs IIRC. insane). My full face hard shell Mtn Bike helmet is 2.2lbs; I trail ride with it sometimes- it's like a vacation almost.

45 years ago I raced with a full-faced Bell Star when a lot of the euro's were still running half-helmets. America was head & shoulders ahead of the rest of the world in protection standards. The rest of the world has caught up; and in the Italians case- passed us by. I'm not worried though- Snell will figure it out ...or die. Private standards are better than government standards IMHO.
  15. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    Ece is very good and even snell says one hit and toss it. I like my UFO at 1100 grams....
    robertaccio likes this.
  16. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    I agree lighter is better at least to a point. My AGV AX-8 is @ 1300gr and Kali Prana is @ 1100, both have at least some significant safety features, especially the Kali. Both also have fiberglass composite shells and are DOT and ECE approved. I've looked at a lot of helmets since I decided on the AGV and now the Kali. I won't even consider a helmet that stresses just light weight and style without some advanced safety.
    I meant what I said above. I want to keep riding and doing all the other stuff I enjoy, I don't want to end up on the couch or worse. :cheers:
  17. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    These helmets seem all to have great references as far top tier guys go. In the case for the Just 1, MXGP champ Gajser wears one along with other top tier guys including AMA guys.
    Airoh---shoot seems every Euro wears one from Jarvis to Cairoli they are ECE spec. If you go into the AMA pro rulebook ECE is a qualified spec for AMA Pro racing, and judging by what all those FIM regulated guys wear ECE is good with FIM as well. We can talk about this all day but fact is they are Racing qualified, both Snell and ECE by the governing bodies.
    I'm also OK with ECE based on the underlying fact that most of the Euro countries have some sort of socialized state sponsored medical plan and want to maximize safety to not only protect to folks but to keep costs down. I remember how crazy it was in Italy when they started enforcing the helmet laws , when the EU thing was underway. Oh and the cops started enforcing the traffic laws as well to be more in compliance with the other states......especially in southern Italy where stop lights were just a thought to slow down a little. That was a sideline.
    We all need to decide ourselves what level of hardness we want our helmets along with all the other stuff we wear. Heck Im one of the few that wears elbow pads among my large crew.

Ok this was about the Just 1 J12 Carbon series top of their line helmets. but for info and there is lots on line this is good article using Italian brand Nolan for reference. Nolan's X-Lite brand is seen among top tier racers in MotoGP and even World Enduro and MXGP

http://www.webbikeworld.com/eicma-2010/nolan-helmets/dot-vs-ece-helmet-safety-standards.htm
    NCSteve and Trenchcoat85 like this.