1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Is there a slow movement back to smaller cc bikes?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by firffighter, Aug 13, 2010.

1. firffighter Husqvarna
    AA Class

So, I got to pop down to Bill's Husky on Wed. morning to peek at the inventory.

Holy Crap! That was no help whatsoever:banghead:

They all look amazing and Bill has some amazing deals going.

I sat on the WR250 and although it is taller than my Gasser, it felt very nice.

But, looking at the WR150 got me to thinking about how fun that bike would be.

I am ready to purchase soon, so I need help!

Honestly, I am probably 220-225 lbs. with all of my gear on. I am in good shape though, and I run 10-12 miles a week and have no problems with a 3 hour ride. I am really just your average trail rider who is not that aggressive. But, I do enjoy a challenge from time to time and am not afraid to tough trails i.e. Trask, Burn.

Most of my riding is at a good trail pace in flowing terrain (2nd-4th gear). I do not race, but enter one or two WA enduros a year for fun.

I also ride with my 3 sons which makes a huge difference. My oldest holds a good trail pace now, so no concerns there, but my 2 younger boys are still learning so I do need to putt a bit with them still. We are talking 2nd/3rd gear pace as they are on KX65 and KX85.

So, I know that I may be beating a dead horse, but I do want to pull the trigger on either the WR125 and add the 144 kit, or just go with the WR250.

I know I would be comfortable on the 250 after coming off my Gasgas EC250. But, I did feel I was always holding the bike back, which can wear you out.

I think the 144 would be so much fun, but am a bit apprehensive about my weight on that bike.

All of the input here has been very helpful, so your opinions are valued and appreciated.
  2. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm 210 before gear and my 144 halls the mail!:eek: I also have TXC450 that I love, but the 144 gets more ride time. That little bike will just make you laugh inside your helmet all day long. I would suggest the 144 kit for your weight.:cheers:
  3. MartinP518 Husqvarna
    B Class

I race motocross with my 144, I weigh 215 pound and race the expert class. I do ride wide open and use all the power I have. Only sandy uphills are a problem. Not that I cannot get up, but I get smoked by 450 in these.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yep, same here :thumbsup:
  5. Slowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

The baby WR's are a hoot on the single track, no question. Folks that ride with me say I'm faster on them. Hard to have more fun on a dirt bike. I still like my TXC 250 though. The newer chassis (08 & up)Huskies are so easy to ride, it's feels like cheating.
    Small bore bikes are the way to go, unless you do a lot of long distance adv. riding etc.
  6. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

I wouldn't say I'm faster on my 144 then I was on my 250 but I can ride longer. I feel like I am wearing the 144 compared to riding on the 250. Kinda like the difference between sitting in a small sports car versus sitting in a pickup if that makes any sense.
  7. speedkills Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500AF
    I find I hang it out more on a little bike than a bigger bike because I am not afraid of it. This causes me a crash a bit more but on the upside it is really easy to pick up. I verified this Saturday.

Six times I think.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    When you went by me I was counting the corners until I saw you on the ground crazy f'er. Pipe, bars, shifter and seat tear in 40 miles, amazing. :D You do have very good speed between crashes and off trails though. :cheers:

Might work for you though, buddy Trav used to be like that, ride fast and over his head all the time and we were extracting him from trees and bushes a lot. Now he is just stinking fast. Guess you need to know where the limit is. Myself at 45 I'll let you whipper snappers find the limit but I'll be there for the entire ride :) Your screen name seems well chosen.
  9. speedkills Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500AF
    I have spent years trying to slowly increase my speed, and it has been a slow process. Since I have gotten over my fear of crashing I bit things have been progressing more quickly and I believe if I can spend a bit more time at that speed I will learn how to control it without crashing so much. Time will tell. One thing is for sure, this 144 has helped my riding more than I ever would have imagined. I'm going to back it off a bit the next ride but still try to spend at least half an hour or so a ride scaring myself silly. It's fun and it seems to be making me faster but it is going to get expensive if I don't get the off trail excursions back under control.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I agree and the few years i have ridden with you your speed has increased a LOT. :thumbsup: I remember that ride at Castlerock where you tried my 04 CR125 and realized the KDX200 was holding you back. You were on a march for a 125 and got the WR. :thumbsup:
  11. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Shane,

You are way ahead of me. I am not trying to increase my speed at all and I still find all the bushy, rocky, tree bound spots to have a flip and sit. I just ignore the pain no matter what my darling wife says. :lol:

Hope to see you, Jake, and Kelly at Bend,
    Walt
  12. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    Being fairly new to bikes and racing them - what about a KDX200 was holding him back?
  13. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Suspension and ergonomics.

The KDX is a killer trail bike, great motor, just wrapped around 80's technology and ergo's for someone 5'5... It is not really a fast bike, Jeff Fridette may argue otherwise.:lol:

I started riding with Shane 5 years ago, he was on a WR450 and had only had it a couple months. I rode that bike for him a fair amount. Then he went to a CR500, with the KDX, RMX, and a CRF230 tossed in there for a couple months at a time. Of all those bikes he was fastest on the crf230. :busted:

The WR125 did more for improving his riding than all the other bikes combined.

It is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. :thumbsup:

Later,
  14. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    That is the quote of the century!:cheers:
  15. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    OK, thanks.

I am a top 1/2 B class rider and am regularily lapped by a guy on a 1989 KDX200. He seems to have his suspension sorted out when he goes by me...
  16. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I recently took my KDX220 out to a MX track and found that I could ride it better than my MX bike.:thumbsup:

And yes, the suspension is all revalved and resprung and the engine is properly tuned on the KDX....and I'm 5ft 5inches tall.:busted:
  17. firffighter Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had a nicely equipped KDX220 a couple of years ago that made a really nice tight woods bike. Even raced it at the monkey butt harescramble.

At this point I am really not looking for more speed, just want a solid, reliable, woods bike that I can ride with the family and still rip it up with my buds. I also like no fuss bikes as I have 5 to maintain, and I really only get to ride 15-20 times a year.

I am still up in the air on a 125 vs a 250/300.

You all make compelling arguments for the 125. I also agree that pushing a smaller bike rather than holding one back is more fun. I have been riding the WR250f lately and I feel more confident on it and can really push it compared to my gasser 250.

But, with the gasser I could be lazy and still be rewarded with good speed, whereas the smaller bikes always need to be pushed to get the same speed.

I guess I am just going around in circles and just need

to pull the trigger, shut up, and ride!
    BTW, been reading the euro enduro mags and no talk of husky 2-strokes, just the thumpers. Any reason?
  18. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    If I were at 200 lbs I would have given the 150 very serious consideration. I have always loved riding smaller bikes and using the whole powerband. It is actually a goal of mine to switch to a smaller bike when I get under 200 lbs ... only 58 lbs to go.....which is 26 less than it was 2 years ago :-)

Now if you do most of your riding in open areas ... Eddieville, Central Oregon .. then even a 300 has limitations...
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Ajax will be along to prove you wrong. In the right hands the 125 can even be a threat in the open. Nothing goes through whoops faster than a light bike on the boil. In the hands of talented riders it wins in sand and stuff that you would think impossible. Of course the bigger bikes are much EZer to ride there for us mortals.

[IMG]
  20. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Hard to beat an open class bike on fairly smooth 2-track stuff with a bit of silt thrown in. At that point the extra top end comes into play. There are areas like that in the desert where a little bike just cant keep up. Sometimes those long fenceline whoop runs will also sap all the torque you can throw at it.

Anyplace else and the smaller bike is certainly competitive and less tiring.