Is there a definitive fix for the cold hard to start.

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Greg Jetnikoff, May 24, 2018.

1. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    I looked through the threads but if it is here I missed it.
    No booster plug but I have a dynoed PCV abd removed O2sensor. Has become very difficult to impossible to start. I haven't ridden the Strada for a couple of years now and it was starting to give intermittant trouble when I last used then.
    Only done 12000km ( mostly in one trip) and oil was changed every 3000km.
    Cold start just cranks for ages then if it starts it won't rev until it's hot. Appears to chuck fuel out the back ( it may not be) after first starting. New plugs as well.
  2. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    What ECU updates has it had and what version is it on?
    How does it start when hot?
    How does it run when going?
    Have you tried OE setup with O2 sensor?
    Have mixture adaptions, idle actuator and throttle ever been reset?
    Has the Idle actuator been cleaned..is it even working as it acts like a choke?
    Has it ever been on a MOSS and displayed and faults?

Wont rev until its hot could be to do with missing the O2 sensor, its probably on closed loop until then and has no feed back...?? Google open / closed loop.
  3. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    Stock ECU ( no local dealer. I used to live in Townsville. now Bundaberg)
    Usually starts fine when hot
    One hot runs fine
    Originally was stock with Booster plug. Then removed booster plug. Was hard to staret then.
    Put on the PCV and it got better. Now hard to impossible to start again. ( I will try disconnecting the pcv today. Worst thing is I have a psooible buyer coming on the weekend)
    Done the Idel until hot reset heaps of times. no difference.
    Idle actuator. This is a new one for me. Is there a thread on it?
    Never been near a Moss.
  4. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    Ok I'm sorry to say, you are screwed. Do the recall this is your best option to start with and chuck all that other stuff away.. The idle actuator may not even be working!!?? .... you have to hook it up to a computer to see if there is a fault or to cycle it. To clean it will take 2-3 hours, you need to remove the airbox to get at it. Dont know of any thread sorry. So go find a white Husky dealer or a KTM dealer, failing that I can give you the contact details of KTM in NZ he is very helpful and he will know where you have to go.