Intermittent spark-blown cdi

Discussion in '610/630' started by Flynn, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Right, a couple Fridays ago, the bike cut out. The last thing I did was power washed the bike, but that may be a coincidence.

I had to wait 2 hours in the summer heat for recovery, luckily it was right near town so I went to the store and got a couple of yogurt drinks:cheers:

I got the bike recovered to my garage that I rent from my mom's friend.

That Saturday morning I skipped my usual weekly workout session and went straight down to the garage (two miles away from my mom's house) to find out what the problem was.

I discovered a loose battery negative terminal so I tightened it up and the bike started but cut out.

A few more times it did so, to the point where it would fire and then cut out after a second.

Testing the spark plug outside of the engine, sometimes it would spark with every revolution of the engine as normal, sometimes it wouldn't.

Now it seems to be sparking more consistently but not firing, as though the spark timing is wrong.

I've rewired the pickup and exitor coil wiring because they were looking a bit worse for wear but still no banana.

I've resistance tested the pickup coil, excitor coil, ignition coil and stator poles, they all check out.

I've cleaned the battery terminal contacts and stripped the kill switch and ignition switch, including plugs behind the headlight and cleaned them with brake cleaner.

I've checked the earth point is secure as well.

I'm gonna replace the sparkplug cap but I don't think it's that.

A new cdi has been ordered from Slovakia but it's gonna take a week or more to get here.

Could a blown cdi be intermittent like this?

Here's my other thread on this subject over at a general motorcycle forum that I am a member of:

https://www.therevcounter.co.uk/threads/113102-Bike-still-broken-sometimes-spark-sometimes-not
  2. josem Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Try connecting to ibeat to see if any fault shows up. Do you get any type of blinking of the neutral light ?
    This bike seems to be very sensitive to water. Last time i washed it with pressured water it did not start up until it dried out.
    I also had problems with the pickup coil, but it showed with the tester.
  3. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yes.

I had a bad CDI that allowed the bike to run perfect when cold but missfired once the bike got hot.

Took forever to figure it out.
  4. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The bike is a 2001 so no ibeat.
  5. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Still didn't figure out what was causing it. Top end seized during track day, bike is now scrap. I knew it was burning oil, had to be the valve stems. Didn't have time to replace due to work and loads of other issues with bike.