Interesting CR500 Super Moto

Discussion in 'Super Moto' started by djdougiedoug, Jul 7, 2014.

1. djdougiedoug Husqvarna
    A Class

I follow HM Racing on Facebook and saw they have this bike in for suspension work.
    After having a series of Yamaha two stroke road bikes I really fancy the idea of this CR500.
    I would have thought it would blow our Husky's into the weeds!
    [IMG]
    TemecuCoastie likes this.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I'm not so sure about that. :D 6 speeds and geared for 100 mph plus stock...

[IMG]
  3. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Honestly the cr500 isnt quite what you want for supermoto. You want smooth power with the ability to rev high when needed.

MY 511 is perfect but lacking the low end torque a bit :\
  4. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Service Honda CR500AF, CR500 engine in a CRF250 alloy frame....

[IMG]
    manu, TemecuCoastie and Fast1 like this.
  5. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    That's what I read on other forums: who tried 2 strokes wrote that they're less competitive than 4 strokes.
    Do you remember the track whose photo I posted in the thread "Let's see your 'tard?" It hosted the Italian Championship less than two months ago.
    Thomas Chareyre managed to do a 1:30,5 during the race:
    http://www.mgmtiming.it/2014/internazionali_supermoto_14/2014-05-25 ottobiano rd 3/s1 pro/pdf/s1 pro - gara 1 - laptimes - 2014-05-25 14.19.03.pdf
    His teammate Marco Dondi (who also raced in the World Champioship in the past) did 1:34,7 with an almost stock 300 TM (look for "5 - DONDI M. - TM"): http://www.mgmtiming.it/2014/internazionali_supermoto_14/2014-05-25 ottobiano rd 3/s1 ama/pdf/s1 ama - gara 1 - laptimes - 2014-05-25 13.50.39.pdf
    Here they show the bike. I'm sorry about the lack of English subtitles, but what they say is, in summary, that «it's suitable for who really wants to have fun with supermotos, for who wants to spend little and wants to have many... some satisfactions.» (That's exactly what the team manager said). Don't be misleaded by the image with the pilot holding the cup: they got some podiums, but they raced in the category "Ama", not in "Pro". (At the end the pilot says that he can make you try the bike if you want: no problem ahah).

Here is a report of a fast Italian pilot, Paolo Gaspardone, who also raced in the World Championship in the past. In 2010 he tried a CR 500 in a modern crf 250 aluminium frame during an amateurs' race with some other good pilots and a former professional, but no one at his level. He qualified second and managed to win at the last corner. He wrote that it was very hard to struggle against the 4 strokes. IMO he would have easily defeated everybody with his 4 stroke 450.
    I'm sorry for the language; I tried to copy it in the Google translator and it gives a decent translation, you could try.
    http://www.paologaspardone.it/public/News/2010/Testi/2010-06-20_.php
    TemecuCoastie and Dangermouse449 like this.
  6. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Dangermouse449 and DErZ like this.
  7. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Big Timmy and Fast1 like this.
  8. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    ATLEAST.
    Is that rating taken in Mineshaft conditions? Or just running naturally aspirated on Nitro Methane?
  9. sometimespush Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    570 SMR
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 990 supernonsense
    Some years ago I had a CR500 , for road use it was fun , I had wide open empty Scottish highland roads,fields and dirt tracks to play on . It drank fuel and 2t oil though ... my mother got right sick of me syphoning her Ford Seirra . .. I was only young so money was tight , it was handy way to get to school though so she didn't have to drive me . .. it saved her time but not petrol .
  10. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    manu and R-J van Hulst like this.
  11. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610

CR500 are meant to be teargas in supermoto form. Hopping from petrol station to petrol station and if youre lucky not having to push it the last 1/4 mile. Death on a stick in the wet.
    My heart yearns for a 1983 CR480 so i can pretend to be Wild Magoo Chandler.
    oneal likes this.
  12. Mik-3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husvarna SM510R 2010