I Switched From A Tx300 To A Yz250x!!

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by 95jersey, Oct 18, 2019.

1. 95jersey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Gas Gas 300 XC
    So it was time for another race bike and I have really liked my 2017 TX 300 and rank it as one of the best bikes I ever owned, UNTIL...

I refuse to pay $10k+ for a 2 stroke at this point, and I wanted to stay away from these first generation TPI bikes. That brought me to look at the YZ250X. I know it doesn't have electric start, but what it does have more than makes up. I am happy I made the switch and at this point I am not sure if I will ever return to KTM/Husky.

YZ250X review (LONG)...
    Had a chance to take the new bike for a good "jersey" ride on Sunday. So the terrain was sand, whoops, fast and tight single track. The bike is still mostly stock right now, however I was able to add radiator guards, a solid rear rotor, cut the bars down 1 inch, and add hand guards just in time for the ride. I plan on adding a skid plate and larger gas tank soon. Bike was broken in at my house, so it was ready to go.
    Initial impressions...
    LIGHT, LIGHT and LIGHT. You can feel it just pushing it around, you can feel it riding at 5 mph and at 60mph. I didn't weight the bike, but it is noticeable lighter than my 300 and that bike is suppose to be very light.
    Super well built. Everything on this bike is purpose built and race oriented. The frame, swingarm, fork lugs, triple clamps are aluminum blocks of solid race beauty. You can see this thing is going to last a LONG time. Keihin carb...YAY!
    Brakes are BIGGER! Both front and rear rotors are 1/2 inch bigger. The front has a full floating rotor. I really felt the different in the rear. The modulation was better. I never overheated to stock brakes on this!! The KTM brakes are too touchy (on/off) compared to the YZ.
    The bike is more compact. The rider triangle is smaller than KTM. I am like 5' 10-11" and while not uncomfortable, it is a bit more cramp than the KTM. I'd say anyone my height and under would be fine, but taller than that and you will need lower pegs, higher bars, etc. The bike is also shorter than the KTM by several inches. The wheelbase is short.
    The vibration is not issue. The jetting and motor are butter smooth and you only notice it while sitting on the bike revving the motor, otherwise you can't feel it. I attribute this to the great jetting and the smooth running motor. I spent 1-2 years trying to jet my KTM and this bike out of the box is better than any KTM 2 stroke jetting wise. It's perfection.
    I rode 30 miles and had about 2/3rd of gallon left. So I estimate stock range about 40-50 miles (not bad for 2 gallon tank). I never hit reserve.
    Power...
    Awesome! This bike hits. It is not for the timid. Mid range is phenomenal as is the top end. The bottom end is great. It doesn't have the raw off idle torque of a 300, but it is there 95%. At most this bike gives us maybe 5% torque on the bottom compared to the 300, which is amazing for a 250. It is a non-issue, I never rode it down in that zone, but if I did, a quick stab at the throttle and front end came off the ground and I was in the power band. This bike requires an athletic rider. It is not a casual trail bike.
    Handling...
    Another thumbs up for the YZ. The KTM isn't even in the same league. I attribute this to it's light weight and shorter wheel base. I was able to go through tight tree farms that would frustrate the KTM. Over the years the KTM's have gotten longer (2020 they got longer again). This is great for motocross stability, but really hurts in the woods. The short wheelbase of the YZ allows it to turn on a dime. It is a woods weapon!
    Suspension...
    Again, another win for the YZ. What can you say about KYB SSS that hasn't been said. Softer, more compliant right out of the box. The KYB is a 10 out of 10, while I like the WP AER, it doesn't hold a candle to KYB. Hit anything and its plush.
    Final thoughts...
    Great bike at a great price. While I occasionally reached out for the electric start, I did not really miss it. The bike kicked 1st time 95% of the time, and I only stalled it a 2-3 times. I attribute that to my not being use to the cable clutch, which is kind of vague. That was the only downside of the bike IMO. Also the gearing is tall. I rarely got in 3rd in single track. This is good and bad. Good because the bike pulls longer in each gear, but 2nd is too tall for the really tight and 1st is too snappy. Now I don't often ride the "really" tight, so it should not be an issue, but for woods riding this bike wants another tooth in the rear (maybe 2). Put on a rekluse and you'l never miss electric start ever again. The bike lugs to idle speed.
    Who is this bike for? A woods racer (enduro/HS), not the casual trail rider. Someone who rides a 4 stroke trail bike will die on this in 10 minutes...LOL.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Great bike but not sure it is really any lighter. The YZ250X is listed at 229 wet. the TX300 at 223 with a kick stand, larger tank, lighting coil, e-start, EFI. Yes, KYB is the good stuff!!! Put a Magura aftermarket hydro clutch on it. I did this to my 2002 CR250 and it transformed it.
    robertaccio likes this.
  3. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
  4. 95jersey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Gas Gas 300 XC
    not true.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FK8YR3AI6o
    Motosportz likes this.
  5. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

..tx 300 2019 dryweight ready to ride.. 219 pounds... 2017 yz250x strippo 219 pounds..keep in mind the tx has quite a bit more stuff ..
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  7. Miezie666 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2x YZ 125, 1x YZ250 2005, XT600 2KF
    i really dont get the hydro clutch thing...
    what is it for???
    I use my YZ250 for trail riding in romania, for motocross in deep sand, hard enduro races... i never thought about something wrong with the clutch.
    I must say these YZs are really durable and built to keep running... 3 of my newest YZs are 05 models- they dont show that much wear than other brand bikes... subrframes are still excellent and not worn trough like on my friends ktm or my old husky...
    i m fit enough to kickstart my bike- but i see a missing electric start beeing a no go for lots of potential customers
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Super smooth feel, consistent engagement point. Made my 02 feel way more modern. I like my levers to be very smooth in action (clean and lube pivot points all the time)
  9. Captnemo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE300 ('15), TX300 ('19), TX300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    ATK406 ('94 XC),
    I've had both - I'll go with the extra money and get the TX - You'll keep it twice as long and come out saving the green stuff - long run.
  10. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I recently did a lot of research into a YZ125 to replace my CR150. I saw a lot of people doing cylinder replating and complete top and bottom end rebuilds on the YZ's at ~60 hrs, roughly what I get on a piston and rings on my Husky, and thinking that's normal. I bought one anyway because the price was right, but I'm taking extra precautions ( though I'm sure the 250's don't have that problem as they don't rev like a 125).
    I bought it for the shorter wheelbase and light weight and I really do like it but working on it compared to the Husky it does appear to be built to a price point. We'll see how the longevity is under race conditions.
    Captnemo likes this.
  11. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Zomby woof...sad part is a yz 125 isn't really a great replacement bike for a cr 150 unless the condition is way better and less hours...the 150 will have more torque and weight wise they are pretty close..(not Yamahas ridiculous low advertised weight) bit true dry weight ready to ride ad fuel..if my mind serves me correctly Yamaha I'd right at 199-200 pounds and husky (newer red bikes) is at 203-204 pounds. I really liked the 10-14 Italian chassis with my biggest dislike a tall seat height and the shrouds stuck out to far..(broke lots of them) I think your on the right track .if I did not ride a European bike it would be a Yamaha for sure .
  12. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    The YZ I bought new for the short wheelbase, light weight and because the Husky is almost 10 years old, orphaned, and I don't want to get into a situation where something goes wrong and I can't get parts.

It was time, and I just wanted a new bike :D The CR with half a tank of fuel was 220 lbs on a commercial digital scale and the YZ is noticeably lighter. I haven't weighed it, but I can really notice the difference throwing it up on the stand. When riding, not really.

I think Yamaha as a company generally does things right. From their musical side, electronics, and bikes, they just seem to make decent quality stuff.
    drhek and flyingbob like this.
  13. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    Somebody liked this post so it came up. It's funny reading it three years later.

I set up the YZ125 with the right springs, quality tires, a pipe, jetting, my magical (!) RB carb and rode it for a year. I came to the conclusion that it was not a great bike. I hated working on it, it handled OK, but just OK, and really had only one really good quality, the stock suspension. Make that two, it was cheap, which isn't really a good quality when it's cheaply built, and it was. The suspension is good out of the box. I'm small and light and never ridden a bike with stock suspension that felt as good as this thing did. But as good as that was, I crashed it pretty good a few times, and I have no idea why. I don't crash, especially the way I did when riding the YZ. So I sold it, and in the insanity that was early Covid, I was able to get all my money back.

I would have to agree now. The YZ is not a good replacement for the CR150 Husky, and while I do miss the CR, it was time. The guy that bought it from me called last winter looking for pats. I got him hooked up, but he's having a time finding even simple things. And that's not going to get any better. At least that's how I'm justifying it.

In the end it worked out. When a local pro racer got a football scholarship, his new bike sat for a year and Dad decided to sell it. And I ended up with my dream bike, one I thought I'd never own. A TM144MX, and I love it. This is a good replacement for the Husky, the best bike I've ever owned.
    shrubitup, Huskynoobee and gots_a_sol like this.