1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Hybrid thoughts!

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by ajcmbrown, Sep 25, 2018.

1. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Years later probably will seem buying a new bike would have been better.

Look into the older single cam Italian bikes. I put a 430 two stroke engine in one of those chassis, a 1999 one. That will get you. More support for the swingarm bolt and keep the ankle room for the most part.

If these creations are used a follow-up article might be in order. Probably should have location pins are both ends of the cylinder to do a head mount. There has been reference to another mount under the engine but I have not examined such a mod.
  3. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    HOW MANY HOURS:confused::eek:.. I wonder if he puts it up against a cr 450 how it would go:rolleyes:
  4. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    As hybrids go, I have no issue with them if done correctly like my 2007 500WR, speedyauto was the builder and it's a sensational bike to ride!
    This one had a different twist, was the TE510 chassis that inferior to the Honda chassis?
    Why destroy two perfectly functioning motorcycles to perform this experiment?
    Tony.
  5. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    "Why destroy two perfectly functioning motorcycles to perform this experiment?"

I stumbled onto a 510 that had been in a gasoline fire during a Baja 1000 race. And, by a stroke of good fortune, the owner was willing to trade it for a CR500 engine. So, I bought Cycle World’s 1988 CR500R test bike, made the swap, and started what would eventually consume two months of my time and involve about 500 hours of labor.

There was one final—and very compelling—justification for this project: After a recent binge of tool-buying, I had a new metal lathe, a vertical mill, a MIG welder and a metal bandsaw, all just waiting to be broken in...….. I would think tig welder more suitable for this type of project, one can really see what is going on.
  6. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I would agree that the TIG is better for these projects but since I used MIG for sheetmetal fab initially I have far more comfort with the MIG. My TIG acquired much later is an HF unit and only encourage me to get a better MIG as I could not afford the better TIG. I will be getting an Eastwood TIG after I get my school profitable.

I enjoy the idea of building something you want but just cannot buy.
  7. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Oops, I mustn't have read that properly!
  8. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    face it... on the fringe of normality are those that have strong convictions about various concepts. 1 of those concepts has been the "ültimate 4 banger" using an mx frame. I get it..he saw the possibilities and went for it. i was involved in a xl 350 in a vb monty frame. failed due to the poor outcome of sprocket s/a pivot and axle line up. this resulted in the chain doubling up on full compression when landing from a jump / whoops...man did that cause some grief. a chain tensioner sorted it but it never lost the "what if .."fear factor and it got moved on. was nice to ride.