1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

HVA Aluminum Case Covers Open Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by HuskyT, Feb 8, 2011.

1. HuskyT Moderator

CH Vintage members:

THere has been some discussion regarding HVA supplied Aluminum Case Covers and various problems that exist.

HuskyDoggg ( Steve ) has posted the following detailed Youtube Video Clip clearly documenting his specific problems with these parts.

I would openly invite HVA and DC Plastics ( sold by in USA) to respond to this thread in hopes that they have corrected or addressed this problem on thier current inventory or will be soon ...

If anyone else has experienced these problems, other problems or has had no problems please post up.

HuskyT
  2. HuskyT Moderator

Gentlemen this is not going to be a bash or rant thread. If HVA has a fix, I want CH members to hear about it. If members have a fix for the problem, I want other CH members to hear about it. Steve, if you have a fix, please post here.

Thanks, T

3. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The thrust washers go on the inside of the frame, between the frame and swingarm not under the nut on the out side like you have them.
    Later George
  4. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Just drill screw holes next size up on the non fitting screws.
    I over bore the k-shaft hole to get proper alignment. Then make a bronze bushing, insert it, then hone for the clearence I want for the k-shaft.
    Later George
  5. HuskyT Moderator

To give a bit of perspective to this, I have worked in a precision CNC Machine and Precision Deep Draw Metal forming Jobshop for the last 15 years.

George's post above would certainly be a catchall cure for parts that do not fit properly or have been machined incorrectly or out of tolerance.

For the average guy that does not have a full CNC machine shop at his disposal (like I do) or access to a Bridgeport Mill and Lathe and/or does not have the ability or capability to do this, the cases need to be right from the supplier. They are paying for a part that should fit properly without requiring significant additional machine work.

Castings are typically great for rough dimensions. The ability and success of a CNC shop is in it's Precision Machining of said casting or Billet material . Tweaking of machining fixtures and machining programs is quite easy to put into place at very minimal cost , if any when dimensional concerns arise.

I would hope that HVA has addressed the concerns that Steve has outlined and has corrected the machining on these to be more precise on current and future production lots.

Again, I would encourage HVA to reply here.

T

6. racer726 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Tom from DC Plastics here. This is the first I've heard of the covers not fitting and/or the associated issues. Thanks for the call HuskyT. I'll contact Juan & Andy @ HVA Factory regarding the covers. Maybe one of them will come on here and clear things up.
  7. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Thank you for joining in on this. Since finding DC carried the replacement clutch and ignition covers over a year ago I have recommended them several times over without having handled one myself. Being a mfg engineer myself, I think HVA needs a left center case to accurately map out the bolt, kickstart, and shift holes. Husqvarna proved in this exercise to have had consistent accuracy in all hole placements for several years of production
  8. IMvintage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 KTM 350 XC-F 2002 Gas GasEC300
    Heck I would provide the left centercase if it would provide a solution to the problem!
    If it made them happy they could compensate me with a revised side cover!
  9. racer726 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here is a reply that I received from HVA Factory:

Some of the casings may have moved during machining, which is rectifiable. I have been through all of our stock and all are now ok.
  10. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    If HVA does not currently have an acceptance fixture, it is a cost effective means of sorting questionable product from being shipped. A flat plate with pins pressed in at bolt locations and posts to verify position of kickstart and shifter shaft locations. Drop a cover on and if it sits flat on the plate, it is good. No reason not to have 100% inspection with something that simple.

Look at the fallout of shipping faulty product. If you destroy the faith of your buying public, you will not have one for long.
  11. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I would think that anyone running, or trying to run a business would want any negative feedback cleared as soon as possible. To avoid any communication or responsibility of poor product is an admission of fault! In the scope of things, the market for a clutch cover for a vintage dirtbike is a very small market. With that small market and the close community it has, the continuation of providing a quality product would be vital. Tom (racer726) what feedback have you had from the covers you have sold? I also wonder how many covers have been bought for the "project bike" that haven't even been test fitted yet? I have been wanting to buy two of them but I'm awaiting the "news"
    Huskydoggg likes this.
  12. HuskyT Moderator

Tom @ DC - Thanks for posting up in here. [IMG]

In light of the fact that HVA has advised that some of the parts may have moved in machining, do you know if either Andy or Juan will be replacing or re-imbursing Steve for the three "misaligned" covers that he has? How were they rectifed?

Have they removed /redtagged and segregated all of the misaligned covers that may have "Moved" during machining?

Any additional light you can shed on this would be appreciated. It clearly looks like there is still a demand and market for these.

Thanks, T

13. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I was ready to buy a quantity of (3) until this thread came up
  14. IMvintage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    I wanted one, now not so sure?
    Unless I find HVA has taken care of the bad covers why should I risk it?
    jimspac likes this.
  15. HuskyT Moderator

Guys - according to Tom @ DC Plastic , when I spoke with him on the telephone yesterday , he advised that he had sold three with no issues reported. Furtehrmore he contacted HVA and posted on here that according to HVA the problem had been rectified.

I'm quite confident that Tom @ DC stands behind what he is selling! This is now a well discussed topic. I would call him and discuss your concerns and then place your order.

Again this thread is an open discussion , it is not intended to scare away people from ordering but to rather discuss a problem that according to Tom has been addressed or Rectified by HVA.

Again, HVA is welcome and invited to post up in here.. !

T

16. IMvintage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Nothing personal T but I haven't seen anything since your previous post that has reassured me?
  17. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Since Tom from DC Plastics has stepped up, I feel more comfortable with DC Plastics. I have a set of DC Plastics side covers for the TT500 I am rebuilding. Since I am building a rider, I am not concerned with receiving Acerbis quality plastics. However I feel that someone of consequence from HVA needs to come in and restore the faith in their product. Just having the acceptance fixture and a commitment to check every part as it comes off the machine would go a long way to heal this wound. In this forum market, I would like to see them exchange good product for the 3 bad cases that Steve purchased. If I made a bad part in my business, I did not get paid for it unless I fixed it or replaced completely with a conforming part at my own expense
    Huskydoggg and HuskyT like this.
  18. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I just discovered yesterday the covers for the 1988 models have a steel sleeve (magnetic) in the hole for the kick starter, it looks like there is one for the shifter as well by the parts sheet. It might be better if they were sleeved anyway if the supplier would take them back, make a jig and insert sleeves. I put a bronze sleeve in my 1983 one it isn't that hard just one would/should attach the cover to a case half to center up where to start.

I might also suggest someone who has one of these covers should mount it to a case half, clamp it to a machine like a vertical mill or jig bore (not familiar with cnc stuff) and get an indicator and see how the shifter hole lines up. The water cooled ones which might be for sale would have a bunch of more allignments to check both with the crank center and the water pump housing.

Please don't quote me as this is semi off the topic of the title and I might delete it at some time.

Fran
  19. HuskyT Moderator

IMVintage... nothing personal with me at all. I'm just trying to bring everyone together with a consensus on this.

It would be great if HVA would step in here and comment but not sure if that is going to happen.As you can see, I have invited their reply several times.

I also beleive that Steve's 3 cases should be replaced at no charge to him. At the shop where I work if and whenever we produce any suspect or out of tolerance parts in our shop , we eat the scrap and issue new , conforming parts to our customers immediately. I firmly believe this is what HVA should do for Steve.

The only reassurance I have seen so far comes from DC Plastics. I personally would order from DC as I'm pretty sure Tom stands behind what he sells , has commented in this forum and is aware of the concern.

T
  20. racer726 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Any issues with the covers, contact whoever you purchased them from. If I sold them to you, I'll make it right. I'm guessing that Andy at HVA Factory will do the same. Give him a call or email them.