1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Husqvarna Works Bike?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bigbill, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    What really came on a '82 430 husqvarna works bike. What did they change out to make it better?
  2. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just happen to be building a 82 Works bike tribute Bike as we speak. The August 1982 Motocross Action Magazine has an article on them however when I bought one on e-bay the article was pulled out. Husqvarna-Parts has some interesting pictures of a 250. Go to the bottom of the options.
    Basically it looks as though the Works Bikes in 82 were predecessors to the 83's production Bikes. The frame is very similar to what the 83 was to have. The Rear Shocks were ITC's before there were ITC's. The Swing Arms was lengthened, but Lengthened from what ? It could very well be the same as a production 83. Twin pull front brake. Other than that they had a lot of tid bits here and there, but were basically 83's wrapped in 82 paint and Plastic. Interesting, the Petcock needs to be moved a bit for the new Frame, so its not just an off the shelf item. However the Red Paint has White Trim, as per 1981, not the Gold of 1982.
    ray_ray likes this.
  3. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    The '82 Works bike was a 500, not a 430 and it was nothing more than an '83 style frame painted to look like an '82.
  4. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Ok what the difference on a 82/500cc works bike? Sorry.

Did this bike ever win in competition?
  5. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    Your question was already answered, the only difference was the frame/rear suspension, which was identical to the production '83 ITC frame. Billy Grossi was their top rider that year and his best finish was an 8th overall at Broome Tioga. Eric Eaton also got a 10th at Washougal and Grossi got another 10th at Colorado.
  6. slosh Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 wr 430, 84 wr 500, 86 cr 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    93 Husqvarna wr250, 99 Suzuki rmx250
    Why is there so much about the Grossi (or 1982) bikes on cafehusky and not much about any other works bike?
  7. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i never understood the fascination about grossi and the 500. perhaps because it was a 500?
    i was always more interested in the bike chuck sun rode in the late 70s that was an early primary kick prototype. or the early four stroke stuff..
  8. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Chuck Sun's bike was a 430CR prototype in 1979
  9. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 510TE , 300WR Etc...
    I have the drawings for the primary kick motor and they were drawn in 1976!!!

Andy
    86 400 XC and justintendo like this.
  10. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I figured I would reword it politically correct. Not really to re-ask it but to correct myself.
  11. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    pretty crazy that design lasted so long
  12. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    And it took until 1981 to get it into production. Value of the development time in my estimation.
  13. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I'm interested in any year husqvarna works bike. If anyone wants to post and talk about it.

Let's not forget back then we had no internet, no information highway that goes around the world. I'm not afraid to ask even if you beat me and whip me any knowledge about the history of husqvarna count me in. There's no ad's or books on this stuff?

Works bikes, pro circuit bikes what ever, who built it? I'm sure everyone wants to know.

Sorry it's still cold here, the ice is still on, I can't fish yet. It's still snowing here flurries.
  14. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Well I kind of gave up on a works bike for now.
  15. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR

Pick up a copy of Terry Pratt's book Grand Prix Motocross: The 1972 World Championship Season. There is a complete chapter on 'Works' Husqvarnas - the days of Titanium frames, sandcast motors, and hand-formed alloy tanks.

GP Book.jpg
  16. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    There's on for sale on Craig's list in ct it's a hallmark titanium frame.
    Momudder likes this.
  17. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    My thoughts,,,,,,,

The true evolution of the husqvarna dirt bikes began with the development of the works bikes. To me my experience ranges from the '77 250, 78 390 cr, 79 250 or, '79 390cr, '80 390cr, '81 250cr, '83 250wr, '83 430wr, 85/86 125cr, '86 400wrx. To me this is where the biggest changes happened. From the stronger spokes, rims, hubs, changes in
    The transfer ports, engine cases changed a few times in the transfer port areas and the cylinder studs were moved apart for larger transfer ports. Larger diameter forks, larger stronger cripple three with more clamping area.

I gather all these changes came from the engineering that went into the upgrades on the works bikes. I think the works bikes influenced the husqvarna engines to build a "go faster", more reliable bike. If we put the '77 250 husqvarna along side a '83 250 husqvarna the upgrades is really noticeable.

My question is did the bikes actually break that caused some of these to be upgraded to better stronger designs? Was there failures in the weaker hubs and forks.
  18. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

There is a good book " Legendary Motocross Bikes" that makes for a great Book to leave out for people to thumb threw. Not only covers the Bikes in there day but also has Pictures of what they look like today. Apparently the Europeans never made a Works Bike, or at least that is what You would believe reading this book, as there is very little coverage at all. In reality the European Bikes were much closer to there production cousins as they never had an unlimited budget to build one off bikes to win races that never had any intention of being produced for consumers. If Honda is your fancy this book is eye candy.
  19. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I'm really trying to help my son too. I'd like to get him to park the kdx's and possibly get back on a 430 and race it modern or post vintage. He was awesome on the '83 430wr in the past. I'll build a 430cr.
    I sold a guy a few of my husqvarna bikes and talked him into meeting my 16yo son for a ride. His look was like he's not a baby sitter. My son could handle any husqvarna I had at the time plus he's very competitive sometimes. Well after the ride the guy told me my son's a ringer. He couldn't hang with the kid on a husky so he purchased a new 250 Suzuki and the kid put the old husky on him again. If you push the kid it's over he's gone.
    He's nice and will wait for you if you fall behind he'll go slow. But get on his back tire it's after burner mode then.

I'm sorry I pushed him to be the best he could be when he was younger now I tell him to throttle back and enjoy the ride he's older now. As he get older the hare scramble is a race against yourself just to finish.
  20. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

[IMG]
    Well I don't know if the Picture is going to come threw but I finished assembly of my re creation of a Works 250 tonight. Made completely from the Pictures used on Husqvarna-Parts.com.