1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Husqvarna trials prototype circa 1970s

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by hva-factory, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Great video. I remember that hill section.
    Call me crazy, but if I were building a Husky Trials bike, this is what I would start with. A 1978 WR125. Like stormer254 said, No Trials I've ever rode left me looking for more power. Especially if you will be riding Vintage events. I compete regularly with a 1972 Wassell/Penton Trials bike with a 1251/5A iron barrel MX motor and love it. Where I compete there are only a handfull of Vintage bikes and we have to ride the same 'B' line as the Modern bikes.
    If this picture loads .... look at the size of the motor. I would even start with that frame as well.
    Also, make sure you keep everything Pre 79 so if it all turns out well, you can compete with it at any Vintage Trials event, including ahrma.
  2. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    Better not attack that one with the hacksaw and welding torch then:naughty:
  3. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

This probably shouldn't be posted on this sight but I'll do it anyway. I just picked up a 1975 Yamaha TY 175. It still has the lines in the Knobs on the original Tires. Tool Kit has never been out of its pocket. No Dents and starts on one kick cold. 6 months ago I got a Suzuki RL 250 in the same condition. Near as I can tell these bikes never sold and the dealer gave them away years later to people who just rode them around in there back yard every once in a wile.
  4. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
  5. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    a115869_1.jpg

Erland Andersson
    motor 250 WR
    25 ch
    total 85 kgs
  6. gs1952 Husqvarna
    AA Class

The 400 husky trials bike at mid-ohio was Trevor Cline and he just got back from the six days. His dad and a freind, Mike Scholl built it with help with others.

Attached Files:

7. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 510TE , 300WR Etc...
    Just picked up 6 scrap Huskies from the late 70's that will be the basis for a batch of 3 trials bikes!

This is a long term project that will go well into next year - so don't expect pictures any time soon! Thanks for all the great information.

Andy.
  8. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125
    Thanks for the info,when he cleared the hill I asked him about the bike and he said it was a Beast.
  9. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    OK - I know I said that nothing will happen for a while, but here is the basis of what is going to need some serious modification

Andy. 3 x trials.JPG
  10. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125
    Those look like MM frames,I'm partial to the earlier ML frame with the 29 degree head angle,77CR and 78CR anything after ML16000 I think had the 29 degree before that was 32 if I remember correctly my 76 WR had a 32 and didn't steer all that well in the tight stuff but when I got the 78 it was much better.
    Dave-cr125 likes this.
  11. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Don't worry - they will have the right dimensions for a trials bike by the time I have finished!!!

Looking out now for some 125 husky wheels and some of the 125 76 style small mx fuel tanks.

I am going to use the Husky forks, but remove the underhang and also shorten the seal head - also adding front fender brackets and of course mod the chrome tube length.

I want all the right bits present before I really get going.

I will re - stroke the motors using full cheek crank parts, remove the reed valves and make new 250 (ish) alloy (nikasil) liners - when I get a moment....

Must get some 28mm mikunis too... Andy.
  12. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

hva, Do you already have a plan for the front fender brackets?
  13. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Oh yes!

The seal heads will be cut off to reduce the length of the fork slider and the sliders threaded to accept a new seal head. The front fender stay can clamp between the two parts....

Andy
  14. mci-owner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1979 WR390, 1976 WR360, 1974 Mag 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 TE310R
    I saw that bike as well at Mid Ohio. I was trying to follow him, It was a really nice conversion.
  15. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

How's the project coming along? Any pictures of progress?
  16. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    I loved the sound of that husky at mid Ohio. It had a loud crackle sound most likely due to the back pressure from the short tubing exhaust pipe. The bike was super clean. (cept for the fresh mud)
  17. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
  18. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Took a pair of hubs to Talon last week to get 3 sets of trials wheels built. This really is going to be a long term project though, as soon I am going to have another 150 primary kick clutch covers to machine up!!! That will slow things down a bit...

Andy.
  19. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Wow, that husky was really quiet in that video. I almost couldn't hear it.:thinking:
  20. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    So, the wheels are done. Now I will begin work on the forks...

Andy. P1030171.JPG
    danlboon76 and oldbikedude like this.