Husqvarna Corporate: Please make a larger tank for the WR125!!!

Discussion in 'Husqvarna Motorcycles Corporation' started by MattR, Oct 29, 2009.

1. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    I know that people from Husqvarna Corporate read this forum. This message is directed towards you.

I'm in the market for a new 2010 bike. The WR125 is on my very short list of favorites. My only complaint about this bike is the current tank size. As an offroad-specific model (WR), a 3 gallon tank should be minimum for this bike. It's sad with all of the space available under the current tank that the design engineers did not utilize this package space properly. :thumbsdown:

To be more clear... you will lose me as a future customer by not supplying a larger tank. It's that simple. No $200 tank = no bike purchase. Seems pretty simple to me. :excuseme:

Without a larger OE tank available, I will not be purchasing a 2010 WR125.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Which sux as I am liking mine more than I ever hoped to. Super fun. I know of 10 plus stories just like yours.
  3. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Jay Hall told me he lost at least 10 sales due to no tank for 125.
    The P3 tank in plastic with some additional capacity is the best hope on the horizon. Lindsay picks up a 250 from Husky monday to keep working on it.
  4. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm in the same boat. the tank on my 06 is marginal but I plan to replace the bike soon. I will have to get a 08 or move on the a YZ. I really wish Husqvarna would produce something like the new KTM 150XC. That bike would be perfect if it was a Husky. I can live with a 125 though if I can get some range from it.
  5. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    I have to say that I am looking long and hard at the WR125, as well, but the lack of range is something I won't compromise on.

WoodsChick
  6. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '86 510TX / '90 250WXE / '87 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 KTM 525MXC / '91 KTM 300DXC
    We've become spoiled.
    My years ago before Clarke or IMS, we carried extra fuel via gallon jugs strapped to our waist.

Is that no longer a viable option?
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Unfortunately I do that. Sux. Sometime stash it in the woods. Just want 3 + gallons and be done with it. My 94 WXC250 will go 80 miles on a tank.
  8. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    When I'm spending $6-$7K on my next "offroad" bike, my basic expectation is that it should have enough fuel for normal trail rides. A small tank for 40 miles only is not for "offroad" riding... that's a mx tank.
  9. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    All interested people should email Jay Hall. This will move the production of the plastic version of P3 tank ahead faster than anything else. IMS is not interested in this application.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Spoke to jay yesterday, they are well aware of the issues and as you said loosing lots of sales over it.
  11. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    My complaint is aimed directly at Husqvarna. They are the only manufacturer supplying an offroad/enduro bike with a gas tank under 2 gallons. This is unacceptable. At minimum, they should have designed a 2.5 gallon tank comparable to their WR250. :banghead:

[IMG]

I applaud the efforts of Hall's, P3, and dedicted riders who are getting involved to help address this issue. However, consumers/dealers should not have to fix a design oversight that the manufacturer "chose" to make. Especially, when they just released a new version of the WR125. :thumbsdown:

Hopefully, Husqvarna/BMW will listen to their customer complaints and release a proper-sized OE tank for the WR125.
  12. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

how many miles per tank do you get on your 06 ? and when are you planning to sell ?
  13. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I can get 65 if I take it easy and have some road mixed in. That is with a 36mm PWK jetted crisp. For long rides I carry a quart of fuel and can get a little over 70. I'm not sure when I will get rid of it. Some time in the next year most likely. If a tank does not come along soon I may change my mind and just do some upgrades like new forks and a 144 and keep on riding the 06.
  14. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

sounds good :thumbsup: if you want to get rid of it let me know... I've been thinking pretty hard about one...
  15. huskyfrk Husqvarna
    AA Class

a silly question... is there no way to make a tank off of a 250 work, modify the tank mount on the chassis ?? haven't seen a 125 to know what the tank mount looks like... just asking....
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Frame is totally different and kind of a semi perimeter frame not a single backbone frame. The 08-10 4 stroke frame is close but bigger.

[IMG]
  17. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Kelly,

Have you done any more investigation on the aluminum extra tank? If it helps I will contribute for one. I am sure the more they can do the cheaper it will be.

Walt
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    working on it very soon. Maybe tonight. there is not going to be any cost cutting on multiple items as they are all labor but thanks. Will know more this weekend / next week.
  19. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many