Husqvarna Brand current status with KTM AG

Discussion in 'History' started by ray_ray, Jan 7, 2019.

1. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Here is a brief history of the different identities that have owned the Husqvarna brand before the KTM buyout.

The next-to last paragraph shows how the brand currently sits under ownership of the KTM AG.

--
    Ownership changes and acquisition by KTM

In 1987, the Husqvarna motorcycle division (not the other arms of the brand such as chainsaw production) was sold to Italian motorcycle manufacturer Cagiva and became part of MV Agusta Motor S.p.A. A group of the company's managers and engineers were not willing to move to Italy and therefore founded Husaberg AB – which was acquired by KTM AG in 1995. Husqvarna motorcycles were then produced in Varese, Italy.

In July 2007, Husqvarna motorcycles was purchased by BMW for a reported €93.000.000. BMW Motorrad planned to continue operating Husqvarna Motorcycles as a separate enterprise. All development, sales and production activities, as well as the workforce, remained at the Varese location. BMW intended to position Husqvarna as "the two-wheeled version of what Mini is to the BMW's car division".

On 31 January 2013, the BMW Group announced that Pierer Industrie AG has bought full stake in Husqvarna AG for an undisclosed amount. Pierer Industrie AG CEO Stefan Pierer was also the CEO of Cross Industries AG, then the main shareholder of KTM-Sportmotorcycle AG parent KTM AG, and the CEO of KTM AG. Later in 2013, direct ownership of the Husqvarna company was transferred and license rights were sold from Pierer Industrie AG to KTM AG, making the newly established Husqvarna Motorcycle GmbH part of the KTM Group.

Husqvarna motorcycle production at Mattighofen in Austria started on 7 October 2013.At the same time, Husqvarna-spin-off Husaberg was re-united with Husqvarna, terminating the existence of the Husaberg brand.

--
    Company block diagram showing the brand sitting along the other ktm brands
    block_ktm2.jpg
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    It has been very evident for some time now. Right away, parts for my Italian Husqvarnas came in little KTM parts bags.
    [IMG]
  3. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    True but I've asked several times out here how does the Husqvarna brand that was purchased by Pierer Industrie AG, set so nicely inside that block diagram of the KTM AG company; The lines in bold above seem to answer that question...

Probably the only other question I might have now is, are the company and licensing rights different identities?
    --
    Looks a little weird seeing a part labeled as a 'ktm original part' was manufactured in Italy but I guess we know that part of the story