Husqvarna 610 CDI issues.

Discussion in '610/630' started by fattyjr, Oct 21, 2013.

1. fattyjr Husqvarna
    B Class

I have got myself a husqvarna 610 that is giving the the RIGHT HUMP.

Was riding the bike a few weeks ago and it backfired and lost all electrical power.

Got the bike home and sorted out the loss of electrical power due to battery ground cable was loose. Put new end on cable and got power back and turning engine over but no firing.

Checked it and no spark so assumed CDI had been spiked. I had made up a test cdi a few years ago for another husqvarna I had that had no spark, using a lifan 150 CDI and harness and the OEM plugs. Anyway, plugged it up and bike fired up and ran. So concluded CDI fluffed.

Got my hands supposedly a new one, plugged it up and nothing happened. Plugged my test unit back on and fired up so sent CDI back.

Decided to try a cdi off a different bike with similar ignition system ( KTM 250 SXF) and got a nice big fat spark, but bike back fires the carb and won't start. Put test cdi on again and fired and ran.

purchased a NEW husqvarna CDI and plugged it up. Big fat spark, Backfired the carb and not start.

So I am at a loss as to why a cheap chinese lifan cdi will run my bike, but not a OEM CDI. Only thing i can think of is the ignition timing has moved, but seems VERY WERID. I would run the lifan CDI, but the bike runs a little FLAT.

any ideas???
  2. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The year and model would help us help you.
  3. fattyjr Husqvarna
    B Class

thought i had put it in,

It's a 2000/2001 husqvarna SM 610. If i remember right, it has the koyosun (speling probably wrong) cdi. The reason for trying the KTM cdi was it uses a ignition from the same manufacturer.

Been planning on doing an oil change so will pull the case off and check it.
  4. somesuch Husqvarna
    AA Class

could you share the diagram of how you rigged up the Lifan CDI, and what KTM CDI you used......it would be great to know just in case.

I had a similar problem on the same bike .... good spark and backfire, but the engine did not run. It was my stator that was put in 120 degrees off.

I have not posted much, so if you search for my handle it should be easy to find the thread i posted about this a while ago. good luck, and let us know.
  5. Carl Langwood Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610 S 2000
    I know this is a long shot,did anybody post the wiring diagram for crossing over the Lifan 150 CDI to fit a Husky SM610S (2000)?
  6. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I've had a very similar circumstance to the OP, it would be interesting to know if a conclusion was ever reached.

I've been getting a spark with the plug out of the engine sometimes and not other times. It runs then quits. At the moment it's sparking outside the engine all the time but still not running.

So perhaps it's not sparking when it's in the engine or the cdi isn't timing the spark correctly.