1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Husqvarna 258 Rebuild

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by tonumeister, Oct 19, 2022.

1. tonumeister Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 258A 1982
    I have been rebuilding this thing last couple months. Everythin has been pretty good expect couple free wheel bearing thats was hard to find. Now it came from paint and rebuild begins. Does anyone know oil capaticy for forks? Those are next in line now and if someone knows place to get these handlebar mounting kits new would be awesome otherwise have to cnc new ones

IMG20221019165216.png IMG20221019230829.png IMG20220630181534.png
  2. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Black leg forks that have top-out plastic washer need .22 liter per leg, forks with top-out spring get .20 liter per leg. As for handlebar mounts I've always bead blasted the steel triple clamps then painted, and only bead blasted the aluminum perches.

You can download workshop manuals and part lists here: http://www.3medesign.com/technical-data.html

Attached Files:

3. tonumeister Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 258A 1982
    Thanks for that link and information, very usefull! Managed to get handlebar mounts new :cheers:
  4. tonumeister Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 258A 1982
    Bike is now running! Clutch slips like hell, cant give half throttle. Bought Univis N32 oil and thinking might it be problem now? Hvi 26 is not avaible expect 200l barrel for couple thousand euros

Attached Files:

5. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    Most likely not the oil. You will need to take the trans back apart and make sure all the free wheels are installed in the correct direction. Probably not you wanted to hear.
    Marty
  6. tonumeister Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 258A 1982
    I changed freewheels direction ones because bike wasnt moving at all but now it moves but clutch slips badly. I can drive about 10kmh but higher rev it dosent have friction in clutch, all oil channels in shoes are open and deep so I cant think anyother than oil:(
  7. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    You can try changing the oil just to see if it will make a difference. I use Maxima HEAVY Weight shock oil in all my autos. I have experimented/tested almost all suitable oils for the trans over the last 20 years and found the Maxima heavy eight shock oil works best.
    What condition were the 1st clutch shoes and drum in? How thick of feeler gauge can you place between the shoes and the drum? Was the inside drum surface good and flat?

Marty
  8. tonumeister Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 258A 1982
    One guy trying to get me that right univis 20L but if cannot I will try that maxima. Drum is nice and smooth, shoes are excelent condition. Theres around 2,5 millimeters cap between shoe and drum
  9. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2.5mm gap is good.
  10. tonumeister Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 258A 1982
    UPDATE: Today received 20L of Univis HVI 26. Clutch started to hold after changing oil. If someone is ever reading this and thinking buying N32 just dont :D
    DeathFromAbove likes this.
  11. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

Good info to know! Thank you for following up with the results.

Marty
    Bill502 and tonumeister like this.
  12. tonumeister Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 258A 1982
    Chinese "high quality" free wheel bearings. Lasted 3 little rides :D Remembering these was really hard to find, anyone have spares that really good quality or source to get?

Attached Files:

13. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70,71 360 8s 72,74 450 73 360 73 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    66 Triumph Trophy 99 ZRX1100
    Smoke'm if ya got'm!! That Blows!! Marty Likes his Autos Might be worth a PM
  14. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70,71 360 8s 72,74 450 73 360 73 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    66 Triumph Trophy 99 ZRX1100
    I think he already got it!
    motomwo likes this.
  15. tonumeister Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 258A 1982
    Couple weeks have gone and now theres new bearings inside and bike is running great! Snow and little yard so cant get that much speed so I could see if it shift. Have to get brake light wiring checked and install mirror so I can go try get it registered.
    motomwo and DeathFromAbove like this.
  16. tonumeister Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 258A 1982
    Next in to do list is kickstand. Cant find any information about kickstand diameter and what spring is used in it? Anyone know or can measure? I would be really happy Bought seat cover for it too but realized after that 258 seat is longer pm if need seat cover
  17. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125
    Hello Marty,are you using the non synthetic racing shock fluid #10 130/390 for your Autos? I have a couple I have to get running and have been looking for a suitable oil for them as the Univis26 is hard to find.
    Thanks Bill
  18. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Bill sorry for the delay in responding, just noticed your post. Yes that is the shock oil I use for the autos transmission.

Marty
    Bill502 likes this.
  19. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125