1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Husqvarna 1988 510 TE horsepower

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Hasky510TE1988, May 17, 2015.

1. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    You are correct. I would have left it alone if I didn't think it was mis information. After your post #9 the thread could have been locked for all practical purposes. A comment was just as deserving about the reindeer games in my view of things.

And how many of you ride your 510 at anything close to max horsepower. Some bikes make me want to twist and this is not one. I got blown away real bad by a vor, not sure if it was stock never saw another one. The modern 450 four strokes work so well it is amazing. The logic used to be there is a limit to how much power could be obtained by a one cylinder or a multi cylinder pumping the lower end similarly. Apparently that logic was flawed.

There is an SAE horsepower on the certificate of origion. At least on the stuff I have bought new. Not sure if it was true for bikes in this section.

Look at it the way you want. I looked at as they did the minimum to make a four stroke from what they had. No oil pump a scooper or something similar to a one cylinder flat head small engine the way I understood it. A little reed and crank case pressure to get the oil to the top end. The big end pin most likely gets one more powerful push half as often. The roller lifters are kind of like Harley at least I think.
  2. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    a fair bit happens when you wind that 510 on...and its all good!:thumbsup: 510 should account for the new four bangers, just not as responsive (=good!)
  3. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

voutch Noel.jpg

"I don't discuss about the principle, I only say it is not the moment !"
    Andries likes this.
  4. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Reindeer and horse power is that rated on oats or hay feed?
  5. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    The liquid cooling in a 4t allowed the designer to play with more cam lift and duration and the cam timing which creates more heat. They couldn't do that with the air cooled engines because they would run too hot.
  6. yellowbronco Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 WR 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many to list
    I ran across this old thread while searching for other 510-related info and have decided to add my 2 cents on the air-cooled vs water-cooled power debate.

Back in 1986, my father purchased a new 510TX. The next year, I purchased a used 510TC and the memory of riding them back-to-back still lingers.

The air cooled bike seemed to have more engine response at the crack of the throttle but then revved fairly slowly after that regardless of throttle input. The sound of the fins was substantial but the 2-into-1 Supertrap Dad had on it was as well. When compared to his previous bike, a 1979 Honda XR500R, the TX seemed like a pure racing machine with lighter weight, more throttle response, and way more horsepower.

The water cooled bike was a big improvement and just seemed "tighter" overall, probably due to the lack of cooling fin noise. When I first purchased the bike, it had the stock twin FC mufflers on it which seemed to be a significant restriction compared to the 2-into-1 Supertrap. But, even so, my bike was still much quicker than Dad's. It didn't quite have the same initial response but more than made up for it in mid-range and top end. I would argue that it didn't have the additional 10 horses (or reindeer) mentioned above, but I'll bet it had at least 5 more. Then I installed the Supertrap and it got even better. The power came on earlier and pulled longer with more mid range and top end. I would agree that the rotating assembly was lighter on the L/C bike because it definitely revved quicker when just blipping the throttle.

Years later, after moving on from the TC (which I wish I had never sold because it was one of the best bikes I have ever owned), I ended up a starving college student with no motorcycle. Dad took pity on me and gave me the TX since he had moved on to a Honda XR650R and the Husky was just sitting around. I rode the TX mercilessly and it never missed a beat. Eventually it seemed to finally get tired so I took it to an old school Husky Dealer in Reno to have him look it over. We decided to retrofit a newer piston from a Husky 410 L/C bike. He said that this piston would have tighter piston-to-cylinder sizing so as to better fill the tired old cylinder and the diameter and compression height matched those of the original. I seem to recall him also doing some valve work. Maybe it was new valve springs and valves with guides and seals. In any case, after some machining of the piston to fit the width of the little end of the rod, he got it all together and I spent a few more years beating on it. I can say, with much certainty, that the piston change resulted in the '86TX running almost as good as the '87TC.

Eventually, the TX ended up in the hands of my cousin-in-law, Alex, who continued to ride it until, tragically, losing a battle with leukemia just a few weeks ago. My hope is to end up with the bike so I may, in his memory, treat it to a nice restoration.

So, there are my 2 cents.
  7. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC

that old dealer, his name was Ed LaCruze, he was a friend and also my dealer his son and grandson are the guys I ride with pretty much all the time
    rancher1 likes this.
  8. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    ol mate managed to snag one of the first 85 a/c in the country and he flogged it to death. After a year or so he got it recoed, rings, valves and guides by a brilliant mr mcHanic here in town who also dialed the cams in and rejetted. it was awesome, strong 500 bottom and then a massive hit like a 125 from 4 -5000 rpm. easily peg a 495 kato 2- in a straight line. i rode in the local club champioships (MX) and im no mx rider but stopped and waited for the club champ on his xr 600 so i had some one to "race" it was that good. i was banned from riding it in the last race as i would have cost the club champ his yearly trophy. i bought one a few years ago that was the sister bike to his and it was low ish hours but needed a rebuild. it had no where near the poke that one had. im too lod to handle the big girl so when i was offered too good a $ for it i moved it on. i can agree with the fin ring...you dont think a 4 banger would ring but these do.
  9. yellowbronco Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 WR 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many to list
    YES! Ed was a great guy. I used to love stopping by his shop. My family owned Commercial Hardware just down the street so I used to stop by a lot.

I kinda wonder what one of these old bikes would run like with a Keihin FCR mounted up. Maybe I'll get a chance to try.
  10. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC

his son Chris runs the shop now, so you can still stop by