Husky Tech-Talk with Ty Davis

Discussion in 'Zip Ty Racing' started by Huskynoobee, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    From time to time, Ty receives technical questions via email. These are usually from customers seeking his expertise and are generally needing guidance on how to install or replace a part, set-up questions, or help in diagnosing a problem. So we decided to copy some of these email correspondences here in hopes these might be of use to the Husqvarna community.

The names of those sending the emails to Ty "HAVE BEEN CHANGED TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT" (nerdy, yet shameless Dragnet reference) :D. Check back to see if there's an issue that Ty has helped someone else with that might in turn solve a problem or answer a question you have.

If you have a question for Ty send him an email and maybe yours will be the next "Tech-Talk with Ty Davis" subject.

Ty@ziptyracing.com
    Johnrg and LandofMotards like this.
  2. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    TE 511 Constantly Stopping - May 11, 2016

I made a stupid mistake of removing the top sensor on the right hand side of the throttle body of my 2011 TE511 (part number 8000 H4737)
    After that, 2099 appeared in the display. I took it to my local dealership and they reset the cdi and the told me that the tps-sensor was broken even though I had not touched the sensor.
    They do not want to order the part nor fixing the bike properly.I have ridden the bike one time after the reset, and the bike keeps stalling, especially during high and low speed.My question is:Could I just change the tps sensor, or will I be forced to change the whole throttle body?I have a spare throttle body from a BMW G450X, will this fit and work with my TE511?

Thanks for any help on this matter.

The BMW throttle body will work if you have a sensor on it. We used to take the sensors off and its been awhile and I kinda have forgotten how we made it work. I think you just plug the sensors wires together to where it doesn’t sense that it has been unplugged. It was pretty simple but I forgot exactly how we did it. If you take the sensor off make sure you take the butterfly off the back throttle body shaft.
    Ty
  3. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2010 TXC 510 Race Bike Setup

Ty,

I recently purchased a 2010 txc 510 that supposedly belonged to "SOME GUY" and the guy I bought it from used it as a prerun bike. I have an identical txc 250 that I’ve been racing enduros on for a while. I’m planning on racing the 510 at the Parker 250 and was wondering if you could give me an idea of carburetor settings you might suggest. It has a Leo Vince exhaust and I think the cams are stock. Thanks for your help

Well, I would suggest to take that exhaust and get something that breaths a bit and for the jetting you might go 1 to 2 sizes richer on the main. The jetting on those bikes are real close.

Ty

Same bike and owner, different question...

Hey Ty,

The 510 has been running pretty good but I did some testing this weekend for Vegas to Reno and it seemed that once the motor got hot it started to run with a heavier, harder hitting vibration, still fast and no lack in power, but kind of a vibration in tune with the exhaust, I could really feel the vibration in the handlebars and on the sides of the bike, definitely coming from the motor. Does this sound like anything you've experienced? Is it a valve issue? If so can you guys do any necessary headwork for me? I put in a high flow water pump and a fan, and a Q4 pipe, air temp was about 85, My spark plug looked perfect to me, no white and no black like it came out of the box, I’m going to up one jet size and see if I can get it back up to the high heat.

Let me know if you can help. Are you or your guys racing Vegas to Reno? I’m a Husky fan but I’m a little concerned about them lately, let me know what you guys are running, I need to buy a new bike and want to stay with Husky.

Thanks.

I can fix anything you need done, your vibration problem could be a few things, check the steering, swingarm pivot, motor mounts. The clearance between the motor and the frame, a lot of times there is a 1/16 gap and it doesn’t help the vibration. If the valves were hitting you should hear a ticking noise.

Let me know what you would like to do.

Ty
  4. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husqvarna Clutch Cushion Kit

Hi there, I ordered a Husqvarna cushion kit from you guys a week or so ago, and it arrived and everything looks good, but there are no
    Instructions in the box, I was wondering if you could just email me some. If so that would be great.
    Thanks

Re: HUSQVARNA CLUTCH CUSHION KIT
    Hi,

I'm sorry that there is no instructions. We never had any and if the customer had an issue they usually took it to someone that could do it. What you need to do is grind the rivets off the existing basket. Take a punch and put the basket on a hard surface and push the rivets out of the basket. Pull the ring gear off and clean everything. Take the basket and use the existing tap and tap all the post. You might have to drill it a bit bigger for the tap. Once that is done then put the ring gear back on and put the rubbers into place. Use a multipurpose oil, it helps to get them into place alot easier. Put the aluminum plate on and then put the screws in with red loctite and your done. If you have any hesitation, you can send it to me and I will do it for you.
    Let me know if you have anymore questions and I will help you through it if need be.
    Ty

TY DAVIS
    xlite250 likes this.
  5. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hot Start Replacement

Hi, after carb is removed and i unscrew the old hotstart, how do i get the new hotstart over the cable? thx,

What you need to do is pull up on the spring and unhook the little sleeve that slides down into the carb. Once that is done the spring and hot start nut will come off. Slide the new nut on and put the spring on and pull up on the spring and hook the sleeve back to the wire. That is a challange as there is not much room to do it. You can unhook the cable from the other end and that will help alot.
    anymore questions please feel free to email back.
    Ty

TY DAVIS
  6. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    OK, this is for a Honda, but useful for those who like to hot rod!

CARB ISSUES?

[IMG]

I have a 07 crf 450r, it has a cylinder works 488 bore kit with 12.5:1 vertex piston. I also installed a hotcams stage 3 camshaft. To make things more complicated it has a fastheads head, with +1 overcut titanium valves, titanium retainers, and the whole 9 with new seats. The build is new, maybe 4 hours on build, and I am having jetting problems. (I think)

I took it in to get dyno'd knowing that the mid-range was off, The pilot circuit is perfect and at WOT it is also right on at about 12-13:1 air fuel ratio or so on pump gas,

But at throttle roll on it flys way to the lean side,

Also at a constant throttle position somewhere in the middle, it chokes, spits sputters, bogs, if i'm just cruising but at WOT it runs great,

Played with needles a bit, bought a few to try; didn't check on dyno but at same constant throttle position it still chokes and what not

The owner of the shop, dyno guy, says he thinks it's an electrical issue, it has brand new stator and brand new spark plug, The ignition coil tested fine last time i checked which was during the rebuild, what could it be? CDI Box? Carb Issues? Throttle Position Sensor?

Can you guys help me out?

Dyno chart attached

Subject: Re: Carb Issues?
    I have been in your shoes before, thats the problem when you throw some stuff together like that, It could be an overlap issues with the cams and so forth, but I would start with the needle and go rich with it and see what happens. If you change the needle clip and needle tapers and no change then I would maybe change the cams to stock and see what happens. I would only try one thing at a time. Thats the only way to really figure it out. I would not expect ign but never rule it out though.
    I hope that helps but your plate is full. Good Luck,

Ty

TY DAVIS
  7. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha Idle Screw (Applies to any Mikuni)

Subject: Idle screw

I am looking for a aftermarket Idle screw for a YZ 125. ( 2016 Yamaha YZ 125 ) After years of Phillips screws stripping or yada yada ..........
    I am tired of the 8 mm lock nut and Phillips screw for adjusting the Idle.
    If there is anything available out there, doing some research, It looks like you-all would be the people to talk to.
    Also would be interested in air mixture screw.

Appreciate any input,

Hi, we can get you an air screw but for the idle there is nothing available. You can maybe make something by putting a different screw with a big head on it and putting a spring maybe off a Keihin and doing something along those lines on the screw that is real similar to the Keihin carb. You just have to have tention on it so it wont back out. I will have Suzzann help you with the airscrew. Let me know if you need any other help.
    Ty
  8. Huskymicky818 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04CRF450x2,01&03YZ250,87CR500x2
  9. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sorry Huskymicky, I didn't see your question buried in there at first. To be honest I'm not sure what if anything Ty can do with your 630 ECU to make the mapping better. I think I've seen it listed in the HST software, but never actually played with a 630 myself.

The best thing I suggest you do is email Ty directly and see what he says. You can call the shop too, but sometimes he's got his hands full working on customer bikes.

Ty@ziptyracing.com
    760-244-7028
    Huskymicky818 likes this.