1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Husky 1970 cr400 ignition options

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by V.R, Nov 23, 2015.

1. V.R Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi I am building a 1970 cr400 and it has only the femsa igntion on the stator plate. I dont have a flywheel or a coil. Can anyone give me ideas or options to a 3rd party ignition option. Or other parts from other bikes that fit. A 70s bultaco fensa flywheel does look very similar. thanks mark 4.JPG
  2. dave400 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 cross
    Other Motorcycles:
    '02 Kawasaki KDX 220r
    When I had my motor built by John at Vintage Husky, he installed a Power Dynamo electronic ignition. No points to deal with and no worries.
  3. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 Cross, 1983 500 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 Honda CR500R, 81 Honda CBX,
    I think the problem with trying flywheels from other makes is that the taper where the flywheel fits to the crankshaft may be different (unsure, since I've never tried it). I still run the Femsa on my 1970 400. The flywheels do show up on Ebay from time to time. I use a new universal coil which performs very well.
    Steve
  4. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    Flywheel offset is another problem in that the taper maybe the same but the flywheel itself may sit further away or closer to the casing.
  5. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!

If you are going to use regularly I would go for electronic, can save an awful amount of heart break! I do have the remains of a 250 engine in the shed somewhere, there might be a fly wheel, I am not sure, Colin Hickie races a rapid 250, he would be worth speaking to.
  6. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    The Femsa ignition is very reliable if the points are maintained. Husqvarna had their name stamp on the Femsa flywheel so it is probably a proprietary fit to the crank stub. The unit you have pictured was used on most Husqvarna models from 1969 until about 1976. The early (72 and 73) Motoplats had problems. The modern 3rd party electronics are very good but they're in the $500 range. I'm not sure about the $200 units out there, maybe they would be okay if all you are going to do is ride down the street and back once a month.

The original Femsas were so common on Huskys I think there are many still out there. If you don't find something reasonable on Ebay you should try calling some vintage Husky repair and parts guys and just asking if they have one sitting around. I see that you're in the UK so you may have to pay for shipping from the US. There were thousands of Huskys sold in the US from the late 60's through the 70's and beyond. My first call would be to Vintage Husky in San Diego. John has an inventory of vintage stuff and probably has a Femsa flywheel and coil. His prices are reasonable and the quality of his old stuff can be trusted.

Be careful of the source you purchase from because the magnets in the flywheel can be weak or even dead.
    SteveJ likes this.
  7. V.R Husqvarna
    AA Class

Many thanks for your replys, I have sourced a femsa flywheel so happy days, its the right one for husky as you said its stamped on the outside. Did you say you can use a generic coil, any links would be cool. I have all the parts for the ignition side. On the clutch side I only need a kickstart and the clutch springs/nuts and the plates. If you have anything stormer please contact me. 07970 444998 mark
  8. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 Cross, 1983 500 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 Honda CR500R, 81 Honda CBX,
    I'm using an Emgo 24-71532 universal ignition coil with my stock Femsa magneto. Works quite well. They come without the spark plug cap, so you'll need to get one. Two race seasons in vintage MX with no ignition concerns.
    You might try Andy at HVA-Factory.com for the clutch parts, not sure whether he has the 4 speed clutches.
    Otherwise, you can get the clutch plates from Barnett http://www.barnettclutches.com/husqvarna.html
    I've never been able to find new clutch springs for the 4 speeds, maybe someone else knows of a source, or else used springs/ retainer plates.
  9. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    Hi Mark, For the clutch I only have the centre, alloy spring holder and gear wheel.

Steve.